Sauber F1 Team 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Phil

Re: Sauber F1 Team 2015

TheRMVR wrote:1. The judge is not forcing Sauber to do anything, and it is certainly not setting a precedent. The judge only confirms VDG has a legal and binding contract. It will most likely have a clause and a sum to pay him and his financial backers to get out of it. Thats also why Sauber had to prepare a list of assets, for the VDG team to claim those as a way of compensation. The court is not forcing Sauber to run VDG, they clearly have the option to pay him off. The Australian court is only confirming the earlier decision by the Swiss court in Geneva that also came to the same conclusion.
From the quotes I've been hearing, VdG publicly stated that he is not accepting compensation - "he wants to race". I have no idea to what degree this had a bearing during the ruling or not, but from what the verdict said by the Australian court, it does seem to me that they are giving Sauber very clear indications that VdG should be in that seat. Perhaps the Australian court in this case is merely upholding the verdict by the Swiss Arbitration Court - however, that verdict is not yet legally binding (at least as far as all the reports that I have read). I'm assuming this is because Sauber is in their right to appeal that decision and the process is still ongoing.
TheRMVR wrote:2. "nothing and no-one is bigger than the team" / "if that individual isn't wanted by the team"
What you are saying here basically is that it is ok not to honour a contract if it might harm the team and/or the if the team changes its mind and can find someone else who is better its fine to one-sidedly terminate a contract. Luckily the reality doesn't work that way.
No, I never said it was ok not to honour a contract - I said for these instances you usually had clauses that determine compensation. These clauses are in pretty much any contract we sign now days - even if only mentioned in the "terms & agreement" part. They are to protect in case the contract, for whatever reason, isn't honoured by either party.

As for this has luckily never happend.... Of course it does. Last time it happened, was when Ferrari got Alonso on board and payed Raikoennen a very generous "compensation" (Raikoennen had a deal for 2010). Contracts [in general] are broken quite often. The relevant question is how many contracts are broken without any form of compensation or damage being compensated?
TheRMVR wrote:3. "If Sauber had not created this 'mess' by signing Nasr and Ericsson and honoured an agreement with VdG, chances are high that they may not have made the 2015 grid". So, wait, you're saying, they had to create this mess to be able to start at the grid this year?? That is completely and utterly ridiculous. That is like saying, we had to commit fraud or steal money to keep our business afloat. That Sauber found themselves in dire straits does not justify in any way shape or form what they have done to Sutil and VDG. It is absolutely absurd that you would even suggest this. Lets not forget that they still have a binding 2-year contract with Sutil. So in essence they have 4 drivers for 2 seats. And if I remember correctly they still owe Hulkenberg money...
No, I'm saying that Sauber effectively put the business and their employees first when they decided to terminate their contract with VdG and Sutil. Obviously, there's room for a lot of speculation here, since we haven't seen these contracts, which I think we can all agree on are very complex, so I'm not sure to what degree we can state that Sauber did not rightfully terminate those contracts or to what degree they are obliged to honour those agreements (despite compensation), inspite the very real chance of going into administration. That quite depends on what is in the contract.

The hard fact is that sometimes, circumstance do play a role. They play a role when suddenly bills can't be payed anymore and staff has to be reduced. VdG's case is special because to a degree he is a "customer" and not an employee (like someone else pointed out). As I said, we don't know what is in that contract. Maybe there is some form of compensation but VdG is simply refusing them and arguing on the stance that F1 is unique and a lifetime opportunity that was promised but not delievered (or something to that extent). We don't know. What we do know however is that Sauber has been ordered by the Swiss court to "refrain from taking any action the effect of which would be to deprive Mr van der Garde of his entitlement to participate in the 2015 Formula One Season as one of Sauber’s two nominated race drivers".

The elephant in the room to me is that if they had honoured the agreement, they likely wouldn't be on the grid now and VdG would not be driving at all regardless. While that doesn't give any entitlement to commit fraud or steal money - I think the verdict on that at least is still open as long as the case is in process and more detail surfaces. We don't know what has been payed by VdG and his backers (and what has been returned). Perhaps this whole mess isn't to do with payments made in 2014, but really because VdG was promised a seat (through activation of one of those clauses in the 2014 contract), eventually lost out, refused settlement and now wants to fight for his seat?

Isn't this a bit like being fired from your job, but even upon being offered a compensation, you are taking legal steps by the court to have you reinstated in a company that no longer wants or requires your services? I can't for the life of me see the sense in that. If that is true for one party, what is stopping an employer forcing an employee to come to work after he quitted? If a court said yes to that, what's stopping the employee coming to work and doing absolutely nothing? If it's not enforceable realistically in both directions, I'm not sure how it can or should in either instance.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

r_b_l
r_b_l

Just looking above for point number 3, It depends if you got fired legally.

It is legal to terminate a contract if your performance sucked, both parties agreed or if the contract is breached.

We don't know what is in the contract in regards to performance, but I assume bringing $$$ would be part of it. Both parties would not agree to termination, since vdg wants to drive, so it falls down to Sauber to prove VDG breached his contract.

Slife
Slife

Phil wrote:
TheRMVR wrote:
Isn't this a bit like being fired from your job, but even upon being offered a compensation, you are taking legal steps by the court to have you reinstated in a company that no longer wants or requires your services? I can't for the life of me see the sense in that. If that is true for one party, what is stopping an employer forcing an employee to come to work after he quitted? If a court said yes to that, what's stopping the employee coming to work and doing absolutely nothing? If it's not enforceable realistically in both directions, I'm not sure how it can or should in either instance.
What if you need the hours to get a certification for your profession ?

Edit: New Tweets
https://twitter.com/adamcooperF1/status ... 2310503424 https://twitter.com/adamcooperF1/status ... 9728933888 I don't think I have ever been as excited for the AUS GP as I have this year.
Last edited by Slife on 13 Mar 2015, 02:35, edited 1 time in total.

Per
Per

Well, in all likelihood, Sauber could terminate the agreement with GvdG by paying a financial compensation which is probably stipulated in the contract. The dialogue that has been going on, put in words for dummies, is something like this:

Sauber: "We're kicking you out."
GvdG: "Then give me my money back."
Sauber: "Terribly sorry, that money's gone."
GvdG: "Then let me drive."
Sauber: "Sorry mate, can't do that."
GvdG: "Yes you can, your car is right over there."
Sauber: "Sorry, won't do that."
Judge: "Let him drive."
Sauber: :cry:

People keep wondering why a financial settlement has not been reached, but I think it is obvious that such settlement is simply impossible for Sauber to pay. So then, the logical demand from the GvdG side is, if you can't pay a settlement than just give us the service you agreed to give us in the first place. Sauber have full capability to do so. Any other lawsuits following from that (coming from Nasr/Ericsson) is not GvdG's problem.

Phil

I might have believed beforehand that payments were made, but i am not so sure anymore. Certainly not for 2015 and an actual race seat because one of the reasons named why Sauber went with both Nasr and Ericsson was because they were promised payment upfront. This has me believe VdG hasnt actually payed for a 2015 drive.

If there were payments made, they were part of a contract as him in his test driver role in 2014, with options for a 2015 seat. They were probably clauses in there that at some point obviously promoted him into the 2015 race seat. Possibly date that are being thrown arround is June 28th i think. So if there was a compensation offered, i dont think it is substantial, hence why he is fighting for the seat. If there were huge payments made that Sauber cant pay back, i'm quite confident it would have been mentioned in the press to make an even bigger public case.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Hail22

One HD in Australia and James Allen have just announced that the FIA have refused to give GVD a super license for this weekends grand prix. Now from my understanding of the law, it would be considered an act of contempt against the court. Which technically means the FIA may be in the sights of the supreme court.

Update 30 minutes out from FP1: GVD has gone to race control to appeal to Herbie Blash, Charlie Whiting as well a small FIA delegation to give him a super license in order to drive this weekend.
Last edited by Hail22 on 13 Mar 2015, 03:01, edited 1 time in total.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

TheRMVR

Phil wrote:I might have believed beforehand that payments were made, but i am not so sure anymore. Certainly not for 2015 and an actual race seat because one of the reasons named why Sauber went with both Nasr and Ericsson was because they were promised payment upfront. This has me believe VdG hasnt actually payed for a 2015 drive.

If there were payments made, they were part of a contract as him in his test driver role in 2014, with options for a 2015 seat. They were probably clauses in there that at some point obviously promoted him into the 2015 race seat. Possibly date that are being thrown arround is June 28th i think. So if there was a compensation offered, i dont think it is substantial, hence why he is fighting for the seat. If there were huge payments made that Sauber cant pay back, i'm quite confident it would have been mentioned in the press to make an even bigger public case.
Thats all just speculation since we don't know all the facts. But you know who does? The Swiss and Australian courts, and surprise surprise they ruled in favour of VDG a total of 3 times. So its much safer to assume he is right instead of speculating Sauber is right.

Phil

Speculation it may be, but i'm not sure what the ruling has to do with anything? As has been mentioned, the court merely ruled that the contract is valid. There was no mention in what context. It's quite irrelevant if the contract is valid because X payments were made, X*10 payments... or Zero. The court never ruled on that.

The payment question is interesting because it might offer an insight why VdG refuses compensation. If no payment has been made for an actual 2015 seat (but still has a valid contract regardless), then obviously any compensation offered at the time of termimation is less. However if VdG did pay, lets say 10 million for the 2015 race seat, and Sauber cant pay back, or compensate, then obviously the only remaining option is to give the seat. If this were the case, i'm pretty sure VdG would have said as much in the press, something along the lines: "i payed 10 million for a seat, but they didnt give it nor return my money". Wouldnt you agree? Imagine the press...!

Btw: i can dig up some links about Nasr & Ericsson offering upfront payments in the morning, though i'm sure a quick google search would reveal the same. (I'm on the mobile with very limited multi tasking)

Edit: link
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2015/03/d ... melbourne/
Van der Garde claims that Sauber exercised an option last June for him to race with them in 2015. Subsequently Sauber announced that Felipe Nasr and Marcus Ericsson would be their race drivers this season.

Both Nasr and Ericsson are supported by significant substantial sponsorship funding and the availability of payments in advance to aid cash flow through the winter is said to have been a significant factor in the team’s decision making on drivers for this season.
#Team44 supporter

MattyT
MattyT

So no super license, and NSR and ERI about to get in the cars.

If I was a Sauber sponsor right now I'd not be happy. Looks very likely they wont run at least Friday (if at all). That's some serious cash that sponsors are going to want back (or not want to hand over, depending on their agreements).

Update:

Word from people at the track is there are Sheriff's officers (Bailiffs) waiting at the track should Sauber be found in contempt at the 3:15 hearing (I'm guessing considering they didn't run, this is a good chance of happening).

Huntresa
Huntresa

Even if VDG has a contract, do they need to put him in the car seeing as the other 2 also have contracts ? Cause what ever they do they will break one contract, so break VDGs.

MattyT
MattyT

Huntresa wrote:Even if VDG has a contract, do they need to put him in the car seeing as the other 2 also have contracts ? Cause what ever they do they will break one contract, so break VDGs.
The Judge effectively said that one contract will have to be broken (either in a mutually agreeable way or not). They court has also ruled that just because a third party will be impacted (the 2 other drivers), doesn't mean that the VdG contract shouldn't be enforced (otherwise you'd have trouble enforcing any arbitration on any case).

Apparently parties have requested more time, so hearing will happen a little later today. Awaiting Vic Supreme Court to update with a new time.

UPDATE: Court will resume at 4:15PM AEDT (GMT +11)

dans79

If I was NSR or ERI, I'd bee looking for any way possible to provoke VDG into starting a physical confrontation, so I could beat the crap out of him.
201 105 104 9 9 7

Hail22

Well Sauber don't look like they'll be running their cars in FP2 due to this matter via One HD - James Allen
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

MattyT
MattyT

I'm not sure we need two Fracas in a week ;) #ClarksonFracas

My feeling is VdG wont race this weekend if there is no chance of a Super License. Likely Sauber/Kaltenborn will be fined for contempt for not assisting in getting VdG said license, but will be permitted to race with NSR and ERI. There won't be any jail time for anyone.

Hail22

Good news, Ericsson / Sauber are out on the track at the start of FP2 :)

Gilles Villeneuve