Mclaren Honda 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Webber2011
Webber2011

Re: Mclaren Honda 2015

Hey guys, there's an article on Auto sport where Yasuhisa Arai says,

"The heat problem is not only with the engine, but also with the MGU-K, we took that reduction in power to survive several races with one engine"

He also says they expected better pace in Australia but,

"Unfortunately we don't have the experiences of higher temperatures so we could not risk losing the engine in the first race"

I'm not very technical, that's why I come here to learn.
So I have a question.

Is it not possible to run the engines on the dyno back at the factory in hotter conditions ?
I.e. Can they add bodywork to simulate the packaging, and maybe even increase the ambient temperature in an attempt to replicate what they expect to encounter ?

I find it strange that with all the millions they pour into a project like this that something along these lines hasn't been attempted.

Moose
Moose

Webber2011 wrote:Hey guys, there's an article on Auto sport where Yasuhisa Arai says,

"The heat problem is not only with the engine, but also with the MGU-K, we took that reduction in power to survive several races with one engine"

"Unfortunately we don't have the experiences of higher temperatures so we could not risk losing the engine in the first race"

So I have a question.

Is it not possible to run the engines on the dyno back at the factory in hotter conditions ?
I.e. Can they add bodywork to simulate the packaging, and maybe even increase the ambient temperature in an attempt to replicate what they expect to encounter ?

I find it strange that with all the millions they pour into a project like this that something along these lines hasn't been attempted.
The only way they could simulate this accurately is to put a 100% car in a wind tunnel simulating ambient temperatures, but 100% wind tunnel models aren't allowed.

efuloni
efuloni

Just another curiosity

Button did 1:31:422. In 1997, Coulthard started 4ª in this same track with 1:31:531. 17 years later and only 0.1 faster.

Webber2011
Webber2011

Moose wrote:
Webber2011 wrote:Hey guys, there's an article on Auto sport where Yasuhisa Arai says,

So I have a question.

The only way they could simulate this accurately is to put a 100% car in a wind tunnel simulating ambient temperatures, but 100% wind tunnel models aren't allowed.
OK that makes sense.
I wasn't even thinking about airflow.

Thanks mate.

SilverArrow10

Just realised McLaren have given Button the yellow T cam to make Alonso the lead driver..... not even Ferrari did that when Alonso joined them in 2010.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Re: Just another curiosity

efuloni wrote:Button did 1:31:422. In 1997, Coulthard started 4ª in this same track with 1:31:531. 17 years later and only 0.1 faster.
apples and oranges, nonsense comparsisson

rifrafs2kees
rifrafs2kees

SilverArrow10 wrote:Just realised McLaren have given Button the yellow T cam to make Alonso the lead driver..... not even Ferrari did that when Alonso joined them in 2010.
I think it's because Alonso finished higher in the championship last year..not decided by the team, is it?

SilverArrow10

rifrafs2kees wrote:
SilverArrow10 wrote:Just realised McLaren have given Button the yellow T cam to make Alonso the lead driver..... not even Ferrari did that when Alonso joined them in 2010.
I think it's because Alonso finished higher in the championship last year..not decided by the team, is it?
Thought it was. That makes sense although Alonso beat Massa in 09 and still got the yellow cam and Kimi has the lead driver cam despite a dire 2014 and Vettel is expected to be the lead driver. Alonso and politics :lol:
Last edited by SilverArrow10 on 15 Mar 2015, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

max_speed
max_speed

So I have a question.

how much have they turned down. numbers in news r that they cud be 250bhp down..have they reduced power by 250 bhp..nope. they have been disappointing and made a mockery of themselves and Mclaren. i cant imagine , they said they dint have heat problem and sizeZero everywhere and now suddenly heat comes into picture. Arai is saying whatever comes into his mind at the moment , i think their engine could be worse than last year's ferrari

a1b2i3r45

It will be interesting to see whether Fernando will return at Malaysia to be a back-marker and get lapped thrice (considering the circuit layout) or he will force his doctors to recommend a prolong rest until Barcelona. :cry: :cry:

diffuser

from the regulations :

If a driver is replaced at any time during the season his replacement will be deemed to be the original driver for the purposes of assessing power unit usage.

SectorOne

Button makes hilarious remark in post-race interview :)

1:55
http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-web ... views.html
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Mesteño

I wonder, if they make a Mercedes like fast car when they run out of engines... or if a Mercedes had started from the bottom of the grid... Where would they have ended?
SectorOne wrote:Button makes hilarious remark in post-race interview :)

Can't see what he says because the new sh*tty f1 web design.

GoranF1
GoranF1

a1b2i3r45 wrote:It will be interesting to see whether Fernando will return at Malaysia to be a back-marker and get lapped thrice (considering the circuit layout) or he will force his doctors to recommend a prolong rest until Barcelona. :cry: :cry:
A few minutes ago on facebook he said "see you in Malaysia" and the man never ever lies! :)
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

SectorOne wrote:Button makes hilarious remark in post-race interview :)

Just looking at the pubic hair under his nose is hilarious.