Mclaren Honda 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AxialTurbine
AxialTurbine

Re: Mclaren Honda 2015

Webber2011 wrote:
Is it not possible to run the engines on the dyno back at the factory in hotter conditions ?
I.e. Can they add bodywork to simulate the packaging, and maybe even increase the ambient temperature in an attempt to replicate what they expect to encounter ?

I find it strange that with all the millions they pour into a project like this that something along these lines hasn't been attempted.
Whilst they could not exactly replicate the race conditions, they could have got dyno tested at elevated temps, they would have an idea of the likely extremes of temperature, what is incredible is that based on what we have seen so far they don't seem to have much clue where the limits are. It's almost like they have put the engine in the car a year too soon.

Hope I,m wrong because I would love to see a competitive fernando and Jenson.
In god we trust, everyone else brings evidence.

KingHamilton01

I have seen enough and listened to the people involved with the team especially Ron Dennis to believe that the hunger and desire is to get the team back to front of the grid. Nobody said it was going to be easy and many people are taking there opportunity to criticize the team. However they have some very immature technology when it comes to the engine and ERS which is a massive percentage of what makes an F1 Car competitive.

Honda I am sure are already busy looking at the data they got from this race to be able to work on turning up the engine and look at a better engine map for malaysia. We can be sure to expect McLaren to improve race by race, I am curious to see how much they can gain before Malaysia!
McLaren Mercedes

a1b2i3r45

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclar ... st-session

Eric Boullier : "Mercedes has been developing the engine for more than three years and Honda 18 months, so that's a huge part of the answer. Mercedes has a good team in place.

"These engines has a lot of potential to unlock, so it may take more than a couple of years to catch up."

more than a couple of years :?: :?: Well then, what's the point, new formula will be introduced in 2017 anyway.

radosav
radosav

Jenson's post race interview. (with mustaches :D )

radosav
radosav

diffuser

a1b2i3r45 wrote:http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclar ... st-session

Eric Boullier : "Mercedes has been developing the engine for more than three years and Honda 18 months, so that's a huge part of the answer. Mercedes has a good team in place.

"These engines has a lot of potential to unlock, so it may take more than a couple of years to catch up."

more than a couple of years :?: :?: Well then, what's the point, new formula will be introduced in 2017 anyway.
I think he's counting from the 18 months. Besides, the new formula will be an evolution of the present formula.They're not gonna Go back to normally aspirated.

Mui
Mui

SilverArrow10 wrote:
rifrafs2kees wrote:
SilverArrow10 wrote:Just realised McLaren have given Button the yellow T cam to make Alonso the lead driver..... not even Ferrari did that when Alonso joined them in 2010.
I think it's because Alonso finished higher in the championship last year..not decided by the team, is it?
Thought it was. That makes sense although Alonso beat Massa in 09 and still got the yellow cam and Kimi has the lead driver cam despite a dire 2014 and Vettel is expected to be the lead driver. Alonso and politics :lol:
It might be who signed a contract first with McLaren that determines the lead driver. I think Alonso signed a contract before Button thus making him lead driver?

Thunder

I must say the Race went better than i expected. Completing a whole race distance is a big step for the Team. As is said before the flyaway Races will be tough but i see them making big steps over the course of the Season. I'm in a pretty positive Mood for the Team.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

langwadt
langwadt

Moose wrote:
Webber2011 wrote:Hey guys, there's an article on Auto sport where Yasuhisa Arai says,

"The heat problem is not only with the engine, but also with the MGU-K, we took that reduction in power to survive several races with one engine"

He also says they expected better pace in Australia but,

"Unfortunately we don't have the experiences of higher temperatures so we could not risk losing the engine in the first race"

I'm not very technical, that's why I come here to learn.
So I have a question.

Is it not possible to run the engines on the dyno back at the factory in hotter conditions ?
I.e. Can they add bodywork to simulate the packaging, and maybe even increase the ambient temperature in an attempt to replicate what they expect to encounter ?

I find it strange that with all the millions they pour into a project like this that something along these lines hasn't been attempted.
The only way they could simulate this accurately is to put a 100% car in a wind tunnel simulating ambient temperatures, but 100% wind tunnel models aren't allowed.
afaiu from last years talk when RB did something like it, engine testing a car in wind tunnel to develop cooling systems
is allowed provided that the car doesn't have any front or rear wing and no aerodynamic measurements are taken

Vasconia

Which lets me thinking(ONCE AGAIN)...Is it was THAT bad to wait until 2016 to join the championship?

bauc

Vasconia wrote:

Which lets me thinking(ONCE AGAIN)...Is it was THAT bad to wait until 2016 to join the championship?
I'm not 100% sure, but I think Mercedes did not offer Mclaren a 1 + year deal for 2015. It was multiyear deal or nothing, so that is why MCL has been talking to Honda since 2012 when the first speculations appeared
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Webber2011
Webber2011

langwadt wrote:
Moose wrote:
Webber2011 wrote:Hey guys, there's an article on Auto sport where Yasuhisa Arai says,

"The heat problem is not only with the engine, but also with the MGU-K, we took that reduction in power to survive several races with one engine"

He also says they expected better pace in Australia but,

"Unfortunately we don't have the experiences of higher temperatures so we could not risk losing the engine in the first race"

I'm not very technical, that's why I come here to learn.
So I have a question.

The only way they could simulate this accurately is to put a 100% car in a wind tunnel simulating ambient temperatures, but 100% wind tunnel models aren't allowed.
afaiu from last years talk when RB did something like it, engine testing a car in wind tunnel to develop cooling systems
is allowed provided that the car doesn't have any front or rear wing and no aerodynamic measurements are taken
Yeah well that would make it pretty tough to get any idea if the front wing was removed, because surely the side pods and radiators wouldn't work as expected.

Thanks heaps for your replies guys =D>

bauc

Thunders wrote:I must say the Race went better than i expected. Completing a whole race distance is a big step for the Team. As is said before the flyaway Races will be tough but i see them making big steps over the course of the Season. I'm in a pretty positive Mood for the Team.
The race went better than I expected as well ( for JB), but I was quite disappointed for the engine failure on K-MAG's car since this will reflect on Alonso as well. However, if the engine and the MGU-K really are operating on 30% then we are to expect a huge step forward in 4-5 races.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

GoranF1
GoranF1

bauc wrote:
Thunders wrote:I must say the Race went better than i expected. Completing a whole race distance is a big step for the Team. As is said before the flyaway Races will be tough but i see them making big steps over the course of the Season. I'm in a pretty positive Mood for the Team.
The race went better than I expected as well ( for JB), but I was quite disappointed for the engine failure on K-MAG's car since this will reflect on Alonso as well. However, if the engine and the MGU-K really are operating on 30% then we are to expect a huge step forward in 4-5 races.
there will be huge steps from Mclaren but they did not run engine on 30 %,Ron Dennis said in after race interview that they run about 150HP detuned engine maps so we could say thats about 70% of max power,we also need to take into account Mclaren had very few aero updates since Jerez so an improvment in that area should be expected as well.
I think Mclaren's improvment curve will be more pronounced that others and a race by race steps will be seen,my guess is after SpainGP a Q3 results will be normal,and a race win in the last few races....in Japanese press yesterday a Honda engineer said they think PU has the same MAX output as Mercedes when fully operational.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

bit1817
bit1817

I remember McLaren was always saying - it's easier to make a fast car reliable, than making a realiable car fast.

And at the point where they are I don't think they really mind about losing some engines. They have to get the power unit
running at full power, even if it blows up by half of the race. Otherwise they will never get to know which parts are really overheating...