Mclaren Honda 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
podpi
podpi

Re: Mclaren Honda 2015

bauc wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
a1b2i3r45 wrote:http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclar ... st-session

Eric Boullier : "Mercedes has been developing the engine for more than three years and Honda 18 months, so that's a huge part of the answer. Mercedes has a good team in place.

"These engines has a lot of potential to unlock, so it may take more than a couple of years to catch up."

more than a couple of years :?: :?: Well then, what's the point, new formula will be introduced in 2017 anyway.
Which lets me thinking(ONCE AGAIN)...Is it was THAT bad to wait until 2016 to join the championship?
I'm not 100% sure, but I think Mercedes did not offer Mclaren a 1 + year deal for 2015. It was multiyear deal or nothing, so that is why MCL has been talking to Honda since 2012 when the first speculations appeared
McLaren wanted out early for 2015. "McLaren currently has the option to run Mercedes engines until the end of 2015 as part of the deal in which it bought back the 40 per cent stake that the German manufacturer owned of the team, which was completed in 2011." http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105949

Early joining of formula means fasters development. The fact that the Hondas on the dynos match Merc, but not in real-world shows this.

Vasconia

Henne wrote:
maguetox wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:I wish we could get Ross Brawn. He would be the perfect guy to lead McLaren back [-o<
I agree with you. McLaren-Honda have a lot of nice Coronels but they need a five star General, that General is Ross Brawn.
Nut sure if Ross would still be the 5 star General you're talking about after those years of fishing. :) Even Ross would need several years to get the team back together as it should be. Ross Brawn is not the key to success. It's a team of Ross Brawn's that lead you to success (or back in the Ferrari Days; Ross, Jean, Michael, ...)
As it has been mentioned Ron makes no miracles but he surely knows how to built and organize a team in order to maximize each workers performance.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Alonso has only 3 engines left for the season,the Melbourne one can not be repaired.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Vasconia

ajnšpric_pumpa wrote:Alonso has only 3 engines left for the season,the Melbourne one can not be repaired.
3 engines my godness....this season is going to be a nightmare for Alonso.

deterherligt
deterherligt

ajnšpric_pumpa wrote:Alonso has only 3 engines left for the season,the Melbourne one can not be repaired.
source?

SavantGuarde
SavantGuarde

my understanding is that Magnussen has 3 engines. Alonso has 4 :) Sure the rules refer to the driver not the car?

Thunder

deterherligt wrote: source?
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 24885.html

That and some other sources, also watching the blow up i don't think anyone expected that Engine to run again.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

podpi wrote:
bauc wrote:
Vasconia wrote:Which lets me thinking(ONCE AGAIN)...Is it was THAT bad to wait until 2016 to join the championship?
I'm not 100% sure, but I think Mercedes did not offer Mclaren a 1 + year deal for 2015. It was multiyear deal or nothing, so that is why MCL has been talking to Honda since 2012 when the first speculations appeared
McLaren wanted out early for 2015. "McLaren currently has the option to run Mercedes engines until the end of 2015 as part of the deal in which it bought back the 40 per cent stake that the German manufacturer owned of the team, which was completed in 2011." http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105949

Early joining of formula means fasters development. The fact that the Hondas on the dynos match Merc, but not in real-world shows this.
Exactly, using a Merc engine for 2015 would have only meant more wallowing in the midfield. What's the point in that for a team that wants to win? This way (even though the season has started out roughly), they get to develop the engine and new aero philosophy all year. That should place them in a MUCH better position for 2016 and maybe even the end of 2015.

Thunder

SavantGuarde wrote:my understanding is that Magnussen has 3 engines. Alonso has 4 :) Sure the rules refer to the driver not the car?
Engies are bound to the Car, not the Driver. Alonso has 3 Engines left.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

radosav
radosav

Vasconia wrote:
There will be many burned engines this season by Alonso and Button! It is the price they need to pay to evolve !

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

Thunders wrote:
SavantGuarde wrote:my understanding is that Magnussen has 3 engines. Alonso has 4 :) Sure the rules refer to the driver not the car?
Engies are bound to the Car, not the Driver. Alonso has 3 Engines left.
Theoretically - just for my curiosity - could drivers swap cars? Say McLaren decided to blatantly favor Alonso, could they give him Jenson's car to reduce the chance of penalties?

Richard
Richard

No. The regs state that the substitute driver inherits the engine use of the driver they are replacing.

Sulman
Sulman

radosav wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
There will be many burned engines this season by Alonso and Button! It is the price they need to pay to evolve !
They'll just take the grid penalties, I expect.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Sulman wrote:
radosav wrote:
Vasconia wrote: 3 engines my godness....this season is going to be a nightmare for Alonso.
They'll just take the grid penalties, I expect.
renault already has 2 engines down. Ricciardo's already on his 2nd engine, and Max Verstappen's engine is out, too.
It could even be 3 if you'd take Kvyat's gearbox into the equasion.

that's 2 or 3 versus 1 Honda engine.

Mercedes and Ferrari seem to be the only ones this year that are both strong and reliable. Which makes me believe the season will be about 1. AMG Mercedes, and after that the battle for 2nd between Ferrari and Williams and for 4th between Sauber and Lotus [if they can fix their issues].
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Richard
Richard

Manoah2u wrote:that's 2 or 3 versus 1 Honda engine.
Renault were running 6 engines, so they had a failure rate of 33% compared to Honda's 50%.