Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
j2004p
j2004p

Re: Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team 2015

bhall II wrote: I suspect, but obviously cannot prove, that Alonso's insensitivity to front suspension issues dogged the team for years. While a pull-rod layout is theoretically just as capable as a push-rod layout, its characteristics are nonetheless very different, especially in terms of how loads are transferred to and through the chassis. So, when the team made the change from push-rod to pull-rod in 2012, which was a dramatic shift, and its fastest driver damn near drove it to a World Championship, the team probably just assumed there were no problems or they didn't properly appreciate the issues when they popped up, because, again, their #1 guy was seemingly OK with it all.
So what you're basically saying is that Alonso was so brilliant, it made his feedback completely irrelevant? :wink:

GPR-A duplicate2

bhall II wrote:Let me preface this by saying that I'm not to trying to make any definitive or categorical statements one way or the other. I just want to express a possibility.
Any argument that makes way for learning, is a good exercise and worth it. :) Thanks for all the great information.
bhall II wrote: Fernando Alonso is widely reputed to favor a car that tends to understeer rather than oversteer. That means, from his perspective, the front suspension isn't quite as important to his overall setup as something like throttle response, or "driveability," because he expects the front-end to give up on corner entry, and, more than the steering wheel, he uses his right foot to rotate the car around the apex.
Now I have to salute the group of engineers who build that MP4-22. They had two drivers, who were almost total unknown quantities to the team (one rookie and one, a double world champion jumping the ship). On one hand they had a driver who, like you pointed out above, likes a car with understeer and another rookie (double world/defending champion now) who has admitted multiple times that, he likes an oversteery car.
How did they quite managed to have a car that worked for both and still was highly competitive?
bhall II wrote: Kimi Raikkonen, on the other hand, is much, much, much more sensitive to the front-end, because he wants it to be as planted as possible.
I suspect, but obviously cannot prove, that Alonso's insensitivity to front suspension issues dogged the team for years. While a pull-rod layout is theoretically just as capable as a push-rod layout, its characteristics are nonetheless very different, especially in terms of how loads are transferred to and through the chassis. So, when the team made the change from push-rod to pull-rod in 2012, which was a dramatic shift, and its fastest driver damn near drove it to a World Championship, the team probably just assumed there were no problems or they didn't properly appreciate the issues when they popped up, because, again, their #1 guy was seemingly OK with it all.

Even if Massa had reported anything, it would have been very easy to dismiss his complaints, given Alonso's pace with the same layout. But, that doesn't mean they were unaffected by them or that the car wouldn't have benefited if they were corrected, because it's always best to have as much control over a system as possible.
In Formula 1, I only remember very few years, where both drivers of a team liked the car and drove at their optimum. 1988, 2007 and 2014. Otherwise and in majority of the years, a car has always suited one driver OR built to the preferences of the leading driver, which is quite a norm. That is not the problem, but the problem is, when they repeatedly build dogs despite concentrating on one driver.
Even if a driver drives the engineers in a certain direction. Still, could those guys not create a car according to the driver's preference, which is highly competitive? Not that any driver drives them to a totally unknown territory and hence they wouldn't know how to build it in that direction. Can't an understeery or an oversteery car be still not remain highly competitive?
For the argument sake, do we really think that a driver can tell the engineering team to move from Push Rod to Pull Rod front suspension? The accountability and responsibility of such decision lies with the engineering team. And when they go in that direction, they have to build it efficiently. Isn't it arguable that, may be, just may be, engineers with better know how, would have made that pull rod front work like a charm for any type of driver? May be a Massa would have delivered better results, or may be Kimi wouldn't have struggled as much.

Post Brawn's departure, the Ferrari engineering teams have been on a sliding path. It is arguable that Kimi won in 2007 due to the intra team battle of McLaren. But Kimi was also laid off for not driving the later dogs to championships, Massa was shown the door and finally Alonso also left. Probably wisdom prevailed at Ferrari and after a lot of overhauling and bringing, arguably better engineers in the team, they seem to now move in the right direction with this year's car.

giantfan10
giantfan10

there is a video on youtube i think showing alonsos driving style with explanations.... you can actually see him inducing understeer on corner entry by going almost full lock in the corner direction

Moose
Moose

GPR-A wrote:Now I have to salute the group of engineers who build that MP4-22. They had two drivers, who were almost total unknown quantities to the team (one rookie and one, a double world champion jumping the ship). On one hand they had a driver who, like you pointed out above, likes a car with understeer and another rookie (double world/defending champion now) who has admitted multiple times that, he likes an oversteery car.
Actually, Hamilton has on multiple occasions said that contrary to popular belief he likes an understeery car. It just happens that he can deal with oversteer if it happens.

bhall II
bhall II

j2004p wrote:So what you're basically saying is that Alonso was so brilliant, it made his feedback completely irrelevant? :wink:
Honestly, I've often considered it a bit of a minor miracle that understeer-y drivers like Alonso, and Prost before him, are as fast as they are, because that's not supposed to be the quickest way around a circuit. Those who like a really pointy front-end basically allow the car to rotate itself around the apex and then catch the resulting oversteer on corner exit with throttle modulation. Alonso does it all with his right foot.
GPR-A wrote:Any argument that makes way for learning, is a good exercise and worth it. :) Thanks for all the great information.
Calling it "information" might be too generous. My theory here is only one step removed from those espoused by people who tend to wear tinfoil hats. So, let's definitely not give it more credibility than it deserves. :wink:

With regard to the designers of the MP4-22 who accommodated both Alonso and Hamilton and how it all relates to today's practices, the cars of that era were so different to what we see now that I'm not sure any comparisons are valid. Peak downforce levels were higher and the speeds in which useful downforce was created were much lower (I think they produced their own weight in downforce at something like 65-70 mph). They also had traction control, multiple throttle/engine maps, electronic engine braking, etc., not to mention ample opportunities for real-world testing.

Add it all up, and the suspension was less about mechanical grip and more about aerodynamic stability, and you could cater to driver preferences electronically without altering the physical characteristics in a way that might inadvertently slow the car down. That's no longer possible.
Felipe Massa wrote:The throttle used to be like a button, you’d lift or floor it with no half measures. Now you need to be as smooth as possible.
I'll put it this way: things got so restricted so quickly that cars went from having driver aids in 2007 to having a standard weight distribution in 2011.
GPR-A wrote:For the argument sake, do we really think that a driver can tell the engineering team to move from Push Rod to Pull Rod front suspension? The accountability and responsibility of such decision lies with the engineering team. And when they go in that direction, they have to build it efficiently. Isn't it arguable that, may be, just may be, engineers with better know how, would have made that pull rod front work like a charm for any type of driver? May be a Massa would have delivered better results, or may be Kimi wouldn't have struggled as much.
I don't think it's that simple. The idea isn't necessarily to cater to any particular driver; it's to make the fastest car possible. What happens is that the car's fastest driver sets the benchmark.

There is a definitive aerodynamic advantage to the front pull-rod suspension. It also slightly benefits the car's CoG by placing the springs, dampers, etc. lower in the chassis. These traits are evident regardless of how the car's driven.

The problems start when real-world results, which includes driver feedback, mostly correlates with test results. If, in a manner of speaking, you consider the suspension to have five data points - aero, CoG, test bench numbers, real-world numbers, driver feedback - how should the team respond if four out of five show the components to be working exactly as intended?

A good argument could be made that test bench data should match real-world data, but again, I don't it's not that simple. For instance, with four different tire compounds that all have different degradation/wear/grip characteristics and that have to operate across a wide spectrum of downforce and track conditions, where do you even start to make sense of things?

I dunno. Just some handwavy food for thought.

GPR-A duplicate2

Moose wrote:
GPR-A wrote:Now I have to salute the group of engineers who build that MP4-22. They had two drivers, who were almost total unknown quantities to the team (one rookie and one, a double world champion jumping the ship). On one hand they had a driver who, like you pointed out above, likes a car with understeer and another rookie (double world/defending champion now) who has admitted multiple times that, he likes an oversteery car.
Actually, Hamilton has on multiple occasions said that contrary to popular belief he likes an understeery car. It just happens that he can deal with oversteer if it happens.
OK. Here you go. I had posted this in Chinese GP thread. Go to 01:00 in the video. Hear it for yourself.
GPR-A wrote:Lewis on Chinese Grand Prix
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZfcu2Rt7RI#t=01m00s[/youtube]
I like a car that is oversteery

George-Jung
George-Jung

giantfan10 wrote:there is a video on youtube i think showing alonsos driving style with explanations.... you can actually see him inducing understeer on corner entry by going almost full lock in the corner direction
If I am correct, you are referring to his Renault days..?
I believe that his driving style during those days was also like that because of the 'unique' weight distribution of the Renault.

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

^^ I was just going to say that. The Renault car he drove basically required that somewhat strange driving style, as an unusually high portion of the car's weight was near the rear axle.

edit: bhall, is it time to make your bhall III account now? 8) So many good posts lately you're racking up the points

Thunder

Must have been Prison Food for Ferrari the whole Time ... :D :D https://twitter.com/LorenzoDL83/status/ ... 8111225856
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

FW17

Front sensitive drivers could have raised their issues when FIA mandated for narrower front tyres and mandatory weight distribution.

iotar__

Strategy bloke explains what he does in very general terms and Barca strategy.

Mandrake
Mandrake

Please forgive my lack of knowledge, but who was Rivola?

iotar__

Mandrake wrote:Please forgive my lack of knowledge, but who was Rivola?
As I understand it: sporting director with managerial not technical background, previously at Minardi/TR, hired in 2009 but AFAIR promoted after 2010 Abu Dhabi (? Dyer). Outside of technical staff like technical director and tech decisions kind of number two (?), I didn't check recently but used to be one of the pitwall people, which is usually race engineers x2 , team principal, technical director, main strategy guy and sporting d. - indication of high position. I don't know if he's involved in strategy (should be I think) but certainly driver management.

Alonso's good friend ;-) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... XZ5s#t=371

Edit: His own very old 2010 explanation (I don't know if it changed): sporting regulations, driver management, logistics. http://video.ferrari.com/view/EN/massim ... irector-en#!

windwaves
windwaves

this is going to be interesting: Ferrari all new in Spain. We will know what the news guys are truly capable of since they have nothing to do with the car so far this season.

iotar__

windwaves wrote:this is going to be interesting: Ferrari all new in Spain. We will know what the news guys are truly capable of since they have nothing to do with the car so far this season.
Not that I care that much but I think it affects more on operational and political level than technical or car preparation. Although mid-season I'm sure it didn't happen overnight, replacement is (read somewhere) Diego Ioverno - Ferrari Operations Director who was on the podium with Vettel in Mal.