Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
F1NAC

Re: Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team 2015

And dont forget that they made basically last minute changes on the chasis before the start of the season

bhall II
bhall II

GPR-A wrote:Regardless of the final results, are you sure they had a championship contender in their hands in 2012, if not for Alonso? My whole argument is based on the fact that Ferrari haven't managed to be at top of the pile, purely based on Merit. They have been at best, the second good team, which is never going to help any driver(s) win championship.
Given the nature of the last two (or three) World Champions, I think a reasonable argument can me made that it's not possible to be genuinely competitive every year, because it seems there's always a team willing to trade present competitiveness for future gains.

While Ferrari fought for, and won, World Championships between 2006 and 2008, Red Bull was a competitive afterthought, content to remain on the periphery as it amassed the infrastructure necessary for the 2009 rules overhaul, and for good reason, too. The addition of a second team to run identical cars proved to be a hell of a way to inaugurate a formula that placed a very strong emphasis on aerodynamics (by virtue of the engine freeze) and simulation (testing ban).

It's better to have four sets of data than two, yanno?

Ferrari managed to mount very competitive challenges to Red Bull's domination in 2010 and 2012. For its part, Mercedes was more or less nowhere during that period, because they were busy behind the scenes making use of a very Red Bull-like strategy to address the 2014 rules.
The Telegraph wrote:“We started thinking about it almost as soon as the team was bought by Mercedes,” Fry told Telegraph Sport. “It presented the best opportunity of overhauling Red Bull, so resources were dedicated to it from a very early stage.
Even Brawn GP's title efforts in 2009 were aided by a disastrous 2008 campaign for Honda that enabled a very early start to what became the BGP001.

By and large, I agree with much of the criticism that's been directed at Ferrari lately. It's just difficult for me to take it to any sort of extreme, because, on balance, Ferrari has still been the sport's most consistent team over the last 15-20 years.

(Is it just me, or does anyone else think this whole argument is kinda weird? Speaking of weird...)
iotar__ wrote:It's OT but it's baffling to see this claim so many times, I feel like whoever makes and upvotes it (that's how much those points here are worth) watched some different 2012 season. The season that included Ferrari losing to Williams after leading the race and to Force India more or less on merit.
I don't vote. However, I imagine it's not out of the realm of possibility that at least some of the folks who do vote might consider the points tally to be a decent barometer of a team's level of success. It is, after all, the FIA's preferred method.

No one has ever won a Championship trophy for being the best driver or for developing the best car. Such trophies are awarded to those who score the most points.

iotar__

bhall II wrote: No one has ever won a Championship trophy for being the best driver or for developing the best car. Such trophies are awarded to those who score the most points.
Now you're using this cop out? No one disputed that. Your point was that Ferrari was stone's throw from a championship and only some random event prevented Alonso from winning. In fact it was the opposite, many random events (and driving) enabled the very small chance of winning. It didn't happen car because the car was not strong enough, beaten most of the time by McLaren, RB, often by Lotus and sometimes by Williams (Barcelona) and FI (Bahrain). These weren't small gaps and random events. Why is this still going on BTW?

bhall II
bhall II

iotar__ wrote:...it's baffling to see this claim so many times, I feel like whoever makes and upvotes it (that's how much those points here are worth) watched some different 2012 season.
All in all, I'd say that's a very distinct possibility. In fact, if you're one of the poor saps who has to pay to watch F1, you might want to consider sending a strongly-worded letter to your local broadcast provider, because it seems they didn't show you the real 2012 season.

Barring that, something's definitely wrong somewhere. Given podium finishes throughout most* of the season and finishing the campaign ahead of every team but one, it's the only way I can explain a bizarre assertion that Ferrari was "beaten most of the time" by two teams, "often" by another team, and "sometimes" by outliers (who occasionally caught out other teams as well).

* That's an actual most, by the way, not a figurative "most."

Or is this yet another chapter in the gospel of St. Fernando that regales us all with stories of a resolute hero who was nudged along by the hands of God to miraculously drive an undeserving car to undeserved finishes?

Let me know when we get to the part where someone inevitably attempts a feat of mental gymnastics that cites Alonso's domination of his teammates as evidence of divinity. I'm interested to find out how that fairytale explains those drivers' subsequent shellacking by future teammates, too.

I wonder if they'll remember his first-lap swan dive in Japan...

Incidentally, this...
The season that included Ferrari losing to Williams after leading the race
...is extraordinarily weak.

You can't use Williams' victory in Barcelona to knock Ferrari when everyone else lost to Williams by greater margins.

aleks_ader

How aobut http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/f1/fe ... -loophole/

Haas + Ferrari CFD; I m very aware of teraflops and windtunnel rulea etc.?

But I have 1 question how FIA prevent of "sharing" data to other teams? Nowadays with all sort of data sharing technologies and even encryption methods are possible?

Now i had 1 silly idea even if the electronic way failed (or is insecure due whatever reason) what prevent them not to just "buy" or hire "every week" new employee witch carry with him all data to other team?
I think you get my point; Question remains HOW prevent data leaking?

Bv. i dont belive in spirit of rules and all those of "bull***" (sorry Niki Lauda syndrome), beucuse there is to much money involve to be "fair".
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

bhall II
bhall II

That's what makes me think the days of significant in-season development are over. Ferrari brought an update to Barcelona so comprehensive that it triggered an investigation. Yet, the results of the update were so inconclusive that only one car ran it during the race, and then it had to be further tested on-track before the team was sure it actually worked.

Combined with a similarly questionable update from Red Bull, I think that speaks very poorly of just how restricted the rules have become.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

aleks_ader wrote: Now i had 1 silly idea even if the electronic way failed (or is insecure due whatever reason) what prevent them not to just "buy" or hire "every week" new employee witch carry with him all data to other team?
I think you get my point; Question remains HOW prevent data leaking?
Surely contracts and gardening leave make such transfers less of a problem. The bigger problem i think is when one entity owns more than one team (ie Red Bull and Torro Rosso), preventing sharing then is surely a much larger hurdle. A potential showcase of this are the "They're not end plates, they're body work" rear wing "endplates" that appeared at the same time at the Le Mans test on the R18 and 919.

Vasconia

Taking into accout Kimi´s poor perfomance I ask myself the real distance between Mercedes and Ferrari in Canada. Because Vettel did have the pace. Anyway the dreams about Ferrari having any chance of beating Mercedes were in fact, dreams.

nacho
nacho

I think Kimi was quite fast compared to Mercs until the pitstop and spin.

wickedz50
wickedz50

nacho wrote:I think Kimi was quite fast compared to Mercs until the pitstop and spin.
Too much vodka for Kimi or you?

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

wickedz50 wrote:
nacho wrote:I think Kimi was quite fast compared to Mercs until the pitstop and spin.
Kimi's pace was good and putting similar times to vettel, till Vettel's first stop after which Vet was faster.
What I don't get is what happened to Kimi after he changed to super soft tyres. He put in a 1:16.9 and after that his pace just dropped.. He was also 16th on speed trap where Vettel was 3rd, was there a engine problem with Kimi?
The cheapest sort of pride is national pride, every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud adopts, as a last resource, pride in the nation to which he belongs; thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.

PlatinumZealot

Kimi was keeping up OK on the supersofts. But he was mediocre on the soft tyre as expected. He is not just adaptable enough. He made Vettel look like a legend out there. I was actually cheering for Vettel to catch and pass him at one point. I am not sure how the team feels about kimi now, but the scene with the Mechanic outstretching his hand in bewilderment was a very strong reaction I think. Because of his weaknesses his mechanics might not be giving him the full support right now.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Vasconia

PlatinumZealot wrote:Kimi was keeping up OK on the supersofts. But he was mediocre on the soft tyre as expected. He is not just adaptable enough. He made Vettel look like a legend out there. I was actually cheering for Vettel to catch and pass him at one point. I am not sure how the team feels about kimi now, but the scene with the Mechanic outstretching his hand in bewilderment was a very strong reaction I think. Because of his weaknesses his mechanics might not be giving him the full support right now.
I have 0 doubts about the profesionality of his mechanics. And I dont want to imagine that Ferrari could put less interest on one of its drivers because of a stupid mistake.

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

PlatinumZealot wrote:Kimi was keeping up OK on the supersofts. But he was mediocre on the soft tyre as expected. He is not just adaptable enough. He made Vettel look like a legend out there. I was actually cheering for Vettel to catch and pass him at one point. I am not sure how the team feels about kimi now, but the scene with the Mechanic outstretching his hand in bewilderment was a very strong reaction I think. Because of his weaknesses his mechanics might not be giving him the full support right now.
Agree with you on how the team feels about him. But he was good on Softs when compared to Vettel but slow on SuperSofts. Vettel was faster on Softer tyres near the end of the race. I think Kimi had to save fuel hence the drop in pace.
I think Kimi would be a better no2 driver than Massa so the team is not much worried about him, he has good relationship with Vettel like Felipe had with Fernando.
The cheapest sort of pride is national pride, every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud adopts, as a last resource, pride in the nation to which he belongs; thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.

nacho
nacho

wickedz50 wrote:
Did you watch the race? Kimi was keeping very well with the Mercs on the first stint until the late when his tires started to wear. His race went downhill after the stop and spin, perhaps the tires got damaged in the spin. I think they should have taken another set of softs seeing Vettel's pace on them.

Kimi was 6 seconds behind Nico on lap 25, that's les than 2,5 tenths per lap.