Mclaren Honda 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Phil

Re: Mclaren Honda 2015

Thunders wrote:And then the call to save even more Fuel in Lap 22 already..... Topped of with the Problems in the FP's and the double DNF in the Race it's a bitter Pill to swallow.
I would think saving fuel is more effective and thus important at the beginning of the race, than later, because on a heavier car, fuel consumption is higher due to the higher forces and weight. The other thing is; it being Canada, everyone was saving fuel - they all have their engine modes and deltas to manage tyres and fuel. Canada being a high risk circuit with likely safety car, everyone was probably banking on being able to save some fuel eventually during the race. This never happened. In McLaren-Hondas case, they are already short on power and reliability, so for them, it's even harder to save fuel because they are already pushing more to keep up and defend against others. This is where Alonso's frustration is coming from. The efficiency isn't there, and neither is power - so on a track like Canada, they are even more in trouble.

I feel sorry for Alonso. It wasn't nice hearing his frustration on the radio yesterday. Sadly, it doesn't help the team either - what it needs is clear headed focus and leadership, as anything else (including frustration) will only strain the already edgy partnership between Honda and McLaren. Just look at RedBull. McLaren is under a lot of pressure, as they are still in search of a major sponsor and this is now the 3rd year in succession where the team has severely underdelievered. Honda has less to lose, but they need a constructive, functional and working partnership if they are to improve and sort their issues. Now more than ever. Or else this partnership will be quicker over tthan one might think.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Andres125sx

Alonso said after the race for spanish tv he was being asked to save fuel from lap 1 (as many drivers), but he was also defending position from various drivers, who overtook him on first laps (one or both sauber driver, both STR drivers, Vettel, Massa...) so you can imagine how frustrating it must be trying to defend your position with a slow car while you´re being told to save fuel at the same time

Thunder

This gives me hope that they Approach this Project in the right way. The worst thing to do now would be to panic.

"McLaren F1 team to add resources to Honda engine programme"
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119381

Basically EB offering Honda Help in every Way they can (Software, IT....), keeping spirits up and bashing Red Bull. :lol:

@Phil: Of course the others need to save Fuel too, but it's just even more frustrating when you go at the Speeds the McLarens where in the race and have to save even more Fuel than the others. And seeing the 2 Tokens used before this Race where for Efficiency and reliability makes it even more strange.

But they have the right Mindset, the drivers are abolutely to Praise for their behaviour in Public and it seems the team still has it's spirit and is fully commited to crawl out of the Hole they are in right now.
Last edited by Thunder on 08 Jun 2015, 12:07, edited 2 times in total.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

mikeerfol

Just a favor: Because of Autosport's limited free views is it possible to post the title of the article as well? (Not just you Thunders, this is for everyone)
:)

Holm86

Did McLaren even race the updated engine this weekend in Canada?? The pictures I've seen of th PU this weekend shows an engine with an alu intake plenum, the same as used earlier this season, before it was updatet to CF.

Thunder

Everything i read this weekend suggested they ran the upgraded PU.
#aerogollum

Vasconia

Phil wrote:
Thunders wrote:And then the call to save even more Fuel in Lap 22 already..... Topped of with the Problems in the FP's and the double DNF in the Race it's a bitter Pill to swallow.

I feel sorry for Alonso. It wasn't nice hearing his frustration on the radio yesterday. Sadly, it doesn't help the team either - what it needs is clear headed focus and leadership, as anything else (including frustration) will only strain the already edgy partnership between Honda and McLaren. Just look at RedBull. McLaren is under a lot of pressure, as they are still in search of a major sponsor and this is now the 3rd year in succession where the team has severely underdelievered. Honda has less to lose, but they need a constructive, functional and working partnership if they are to improve and sort their issues. Now more than ever. Or else this partnership will be quicker over tthan one might think.

But after the race he made some comments which were quite positive showing a great confidence in the project and the team. I dont know if he believes what he said but at least the team will be thankful for this attitude. This is something that Schumacher usually did perfectly well, never a bad word against the team in public, his anger was exposesd during the private meetings (something said by Domenicalli).

windwaves
windwaves

Vasconia wrote:
Phil wrote:

But after the race he made some comments which were quite positive showing a great confidence in the project and the team. I dont know if he believes what he said but at least the team will be thankful for this attitude. This is something that Schumacher usually did perfectly well, never a bad word against the team in public, his anger was exposesd during the private meetings (something said by Domenicalli).

Does not matter. McL/Honda has really failed to even remotely achieve anything near reasonable goals for their first season and in my view Alonso has all the rights in the world to get mad. It does not mean that he has given up yet or that he is punishing the team. However, for once he just said it how it is: amateurs. I respect that very much.

Panic or no panic this is not the point either btw: these are a bunch of pro's who have sufficient experience to manage the disaster without panic. They just f***ed it up like there is no tomorrow and will need to (a)understand that and (b) regroup and restart knowing that it will require lots of time.

Phil

It's really a bad situation though, isn't it?

Testing would help a lot, but testing is not allowed to reduce costs in F1. And reducing costs in F1 is important, because otherwise, the smaller teams who are already on the edge and fighting for survival will be in even bigger problems............ so McLaren-Honda are reduced to testing out on track, but developing engines is also difficult since there are limit through tokens to again, reduce/cap costs and of course the limit of 4 PUs (which IMO they probably aren't too worried about if this season is a right off).

One thing is for sure; I have full competence in Honda to be able to develop an engine that works on the dyno and shows reasonable promise. The big question though is how this engine performs once it's in a tightly designed chassis in heat and under load. But running an engine on the dyno isn't enough; there is still the whole ERS aspect too, which I would think is more difficult to test "outside the box". I guess RedBull/Renault last year shows how tricky it is to get a "working package". Even so, I would have expected Honda to be at least on the level Renault was last year...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Thunder

windwaves wrote:However, for once he just said it how it is: amateurs.
To be fair, he didn't call the Team Amateurs. Hes said he is looking like an Amateur with all the Fuel saving.... (At least that's how i interpret it.)

Edit: Autosport Article on that.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119376
#aerogollum

damager21
damager21

I think Alonso deserves a lot of praise for keeping his calm so far. He is a double world champion who was not entirely sure if Ferrari could help him win his third title so shifted to McLaren. While he would have known that McLaren Honda will not win this year, he would'nt have expected such a slow and unreliable car.

It would be so painful not having scored a single point in the first 7 races this season. I read somewhere that this is the worst start of his career. In fact even at Minardi he scored a point in the first 7 race. A driver of his calibre truly deserves better and its time for McLaren Honda to deliver. Honda needs to get its act right. Hopefully the updated package at Austria improves pace, drive ability and reliability as well.

mrluke
mrluke

Thunders wrote:This gives me hope that they Approach this Project in the right way. The worst thing to do now would be to panic.

"McLaren F1 team to add resources to Honda engine programme"
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119381

Basically EB offering Honda Help in every Way they can (Software, IT....), keeping spirits up and bashing Red Bull. :lol:
Its a bit late of Mclaren to decide that now is the time to help honda, they should have been doing this 2 years ago.

wickedz50
wickedz50

Thunders wrote:
windwaves wrote:However, for once he just said it how it is: amateurs.
To be fair, he didn't call the Team Amateurs. Hes said he is looking like an Amateur with all the Fuel saving.... (At least that's how i interpret it.)

Edit: Autosport Article on that.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119376
I agree with what you interpret here. Only one thought here that did not Alonso know of this danger when he signed with Mclaren? he should be fully aware that the first season. Honda hampered with lack of testing and race experience and the new token system, lets give them some time. Alonso is hungry for his 3rd WDC but now he should show patience which he showed with Ferrari over the years. I however do see that Honda needs to be pushed hard by Mclaren politely and Ron is very good at it. On the rest Mclaren engineers need to deliver. Come on Ron please get the team going.

George-Jung
George-Jung

wickedz50 wrote:Alonso is hungry for his 3rd WDC but now he should show patience which he showed with Ferrari over the years.
Only difference is that during his Ferrari period he never had such a bad car.. not even last year..

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

damager21 wrote:It would be so painful not having scored a single point in the first 7 races this season. I read somewhere that this is the worst start of his career. In fact even at Minardi he scored a point in the first 7 race.
FYI, Fernando Alonso had a best finish of 10th place in 2001 with Minardi, and the points were only 10-6-4-3-2-1 then.