Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jordan44

Re: Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team 2015

Vasconia wrote:Taking into accout Kimi´s poor perfomance I ask myself the real distance between Mercedes and Ferrari in Canada. Because Vettel did have the pace. Anyway the dreams about Ferrari having any chance of beating Mercedes were in fact, dreams.
Lauda reckons Vettel was able to match Mercedes' pace and said he was glad he started at the back of the grid. Think this could have been a different race if Vettel started 3rd.

zeph
zeph

Exactly. Both RAI and VET had faster laps than the Merc drivers.

windwaves
windwaves

small detail though: Mercedes did not NEED to go any quicker.

Until they are under pressure by other cars their true pace is unknown.

Was Kimi truly in a position to threaten ROS ? No.

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

Vettel and Kimi were slower over the first half of the race, Vettel had 4-5 noticeably faster laps after his second stop but the majority of the rest of the laps were on Hamilton pace. Same with Kimi literally 5 laps faster(but tailing off) than Hamilton then the rest of the laps he was on average a little slower than Hamilton.

Ham pitted lap 29, Vettel's second pit stop was about 6 laps later, Kimi's 11 laps later. Neither were faster than the Mercs, Lauda just trying to talk down the difference in pace. Ferrari weren't a threat here, even on shorter stints with less distance to go on their final sets of tires and Kimi on the faster compound neither were faster. Both would have been slower on single stop races.

THe fast lap Kimi did the 1:16.9 was no where near representative and no where near the average lap time of that stint.

Jordan44

windwaves wrote:small detail though: Mercedes did not NEED to go any quicker.

Bare in mind Lauda said this. I'm sure he knows how far away from their true pace they were.

windwaves
windwaves

J0rd4n wrote:

Bare in mind Lauda said this. I'm sure he knows how far away from their true pace they were.
oh yes he does !

wickedz50
wickedz50

windwaves wrote:
J0rd4n wrote:

oh yes he does !
Does a Ferrari fan really cares what Lauda says about them? Does Ferrari want to listen how good they are and how seriously they are challenging Merc? The true pace and reliability of a Merc will be shown when they have another team car competing with them consistently in the qualifying and the race. Ferrari is extremely burdened with the pressure to perform at the moment. Mistakes are more expected from Ferrari under pressure.

Vasconia

J0rd4n wrote:
Vasconia wrote:Taking into accout Kimi´s poor perfomance I ask myself the real distance between Mercedes and Ferrari in Canada. Because Vettel did have the pace. Anyway the dreams about Ferrari having any chance of beating Mercedes were in fact, dreams.
Lauda reckons Vettel was able to match Mercedes' pace and said he was glad he started at the back of the grid. Think this could have been a different race if Vettel started 3rd.
I never trust Lauda, he usually says just the opposit of what he thinks when its related to other cars, just to confuse the competitors.

evered7
evered7

I keep hearing the 'true pace' phrase everytime Mercedes are described. Their true pace is what you see in Qualifying and their true pace in the race was seen in the race in Canada.

They are limited by fuel usage and can only run faster to an extent dictated by the fuel amount left in the tank. Hamilton was 11 seconds up on Kimi after 25 laps which is .44sec a lap faster. Kimi then spun after the pitstop thus destroying any direct comparison possible.

One thing though, Mercedes seem to run their cars to the extreme than Ferrari. Didn't hear much from Ferrari about brake/fuel savings while Mercedes were on the phone all the time.

windwaves
windwaves

evered7 wrote:I keep hearing the 'true pace' phrase everytime Mercedes are described. Their true pace is what you see in Qualifying and their true pace in the race was seen in the race in Canada.

They are limited by fuel usage and can only run faster to an extent dictated by the fuel amount left in the tank. Hamilton was 11 seconds up on Kimi after 25 laps which is .44sec a lap faster. Kimi then spun after the pitstop thus destroying any direct comparison possible.

One thing though, Mercedes seem to run their cars to the extreme than Ferrari. Didn't hear much from Ferrari about brake/fuel savings while Mercedes were on the phone all the time.

I disagree with everything you say. Even in qualifying teams have been known to manage their performance: just enough to get pole is good enough.
Radio chats are radio chats - there is strategy in there as well as everywhere. Can only draw conclusions so much.

As it has been said before, the true pace is the one shown when challenged by other cars, consistently ......

bhall II
bhall II

Vasconia wrote:I never trust Lauda, he usually says just the opposit of what he thinks when its related to other cars, just to confuse the competitors.
Or to keep the hounds of change at bay. It's in Mercedes' best interest to present the illusion of a genuinely competitive F1 lest the rules they've mastered be changed to create it.

windwaves
windwaves

bhall II wrote:
Vasconia wrote:I never trust Lauda, he usually says just the opposit of what he thinks when its related to other cars, just to confuse the competitors.
Or to keep the hounds of change at bay. It's in Mercedes' best interest to present the illusion of a genuinely competitive F1 lest the rules they've mastered be changed to create it.
yep, could not agree more.

Merc and particularly Lauda have been quick and ready to praise Ferrari's progress this year. Feeling a bit lonely at the top.

On the other hand, I personally have zero issues with the fact that one team dominates: good for them, hats off ! The others instead of whining and complaining about all sort of cr*p better get busy and build better cars.....

In fact I do appreciate domination: supposedly it is a sign of vast success. I recall the years of MS at Ferrari. I never ever got bored of watching the beauty of domination during those five years ! I could not care less about the others but was always ready to take my hat off whenever someone would raise to the challenge.

Vasconia

bhall II wrote:
Absolutely. All those comments have only one intention, keep the rules untouched. When its about racing strategy they are not so good but on politics, its another thing.

mantikos
mantikos

J0rd4n wrote:

I am also sure he knows what PR message he needs to deliver to ensure that regulations are not changed to take away their advantage.

giantfan10
giantfan10

windwaves wrote:
bhall II wrote:
yep, could not agree more.

Merc and particularly Lauda have been quick and ready to praise Ferrari's progress this year. Feeling a bit lonely at the top.

On the other hand, I personally have zero issues with the fact that one team dominates: good for them, hats off ! The others instead of whining and complaining about all sort of cr*p better get busy and build better cars.....

In fact I do appreciate domination: supposedly it is a sign of vast success. I recall the years of MS at Ferrari. I never ever got bored of watching the beauty of domination during those five years ! I could not care less about the others but was always ready to take my hat off whenever someone would raise to the challenge.
Domination is always great to view when the teams being dominated have every chance to change/tweak/create whatever they like to catch the leading cars.sadly this is no longer the case in F1, we now have Mercedes leading both championships and blocking every attempt by the other teams to even attempt to even the playing field. whoever decided that a unanimous vote was needed by teams to change anything was extremely naive.
Red bull was the last true dominant team in F1.