Mclaren Honda 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
windwaves
windwaves

Re: Mclaren Honda 2015

One works, the other one doesn't- what do you expect?

PlatinumZealot

ollandos wrote:honda pu i think is much cheaper than ferrari that time.....
We don't know really. Going by past history, the Ferrari engine package comes with an affordable financial arrangement. The poorest teams like Torro Rosso, Sauber and Manor could afford it. The cost of the Honda is a big question mark still.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

So is the cost of having the engine in only two cars. That might weight quite a lot in the equation as well. Prices can drop if mutual benefits exist.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

I've read somewhere, the two first engine was offer by Honda, wasn't paid by McLaren.

But tbh, I think McLaren will use for the future Manor as a second team, and firstly like a help for the PU developpement (more data ..)

mclaren111

I've read somewhere, the two first engine was offer by Honda, wasn't paid by McLaren.
McLaren do not pay for their engines.

The deal with Honda includes Engines, $50 million and Half the Salaries of the drivers per year.

That is why Honda insisted on F Alonso.

max_speed
max_speed

Thunder

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Andres125sx

Spoutnik wrote:But tbh, I think McLaren will use for the future Manor as a second team, and firstly like a help for the PU developpement (more data ..)
That will obviously be helpful, but it´s now on first season when that would have been most helpful

Vasconia

Checking out the new aerodinamic package?? [-o<

horse

Andres125sx wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:But tbh, I think McLaren will use for the future Manor as a second team, and firstly like a help for the PU development (more data ..)
That will obviously be helpful, but it´s now on first season when that would have been most helpful
At the same time it would have been a terrible decision for ManorGP which surely couldn't survive the publicity disaster that McLaren is currently generating.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

windwaves
windwaves

Alonso says focus should switch to 2016 and that he is ready to start each and every race from the pit lane if necessary in order to improve the car.

OMG, I thought they were already focusing on 2016 since pre-season testing. Now they need to focus on 2017.

mclaren111

I have posted earlier in this tread that Boullier said in an interview that a lot of the development work done in the first half of the season will be related to the 2016 car.

I really would like to see Bob Bell move to Mclaren [-o< [-o< =D>

Samraj_official

Honda only needs to reduce the output of their PU to within 30 hp of mercs in order to help mclaren compete at the front of the grid anyway one one knows the outputs of thePU's and can only speculate...

F14passion

Looks like new / upgraded ERS system on the McLaren Honda this week :D
Yasuhisa Arai, Honda R&D senior managing officer – chief officer of motorsport

"Austria's Red Bull Ring is another power circuit with long straights similar to Canada, which means that it will be tough on the power units. We know that our results in Canada were disappointing, so we are now working hard to analyse, correct and mitigate issues going into Austria.

“The high altitude of the track will also affect the power unit performance, and the vehicle as a whole will require good aerodynamics and downforce. The new ERS system improvements made in Canada have been made to counteract this, and will be adjusted to the new aero and chassis updates planned for Austria.

“We will push forward to be stronger as a team."

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-web ... lberg.html

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

That doesn't say that at all. It specifically says the ERS updates made in Canada. It also relates the improvements as being made to counter act well, it says high altitutude, downforce and aero and it's not clear how a new ers would counter act any of that frankly. New better ERS designed to be at it's most efficient at high altitude doesn't exactly sound sensible.

The only thing i really get from that is high altitude is expected to affect the ICE performance... negatively, positively? Less dense air meaning less power, so maybe the ERS was tuned to a higher RPM compressor speed to compensate for lower starting air pressure?

Given they have the same engine as Canada I wouldn't get excited about performance in Austria. This is going to be another bad race for Honda, I'll be impressed if they both finish the race, astonished if both managed to start and finish the weekend on existing engine parts(so no penalties). Honestly, chassis/aero updates might be good but it will take a miracle, and not a minor one, to jump them from where they were in Canada to even 10th let alone something useful.

Aero/chassis improvements might gain them a couple more places at certain tracks, Japan, non power tracks but even there to move significantly up the grid they need more engine power. For the remaining power tracks, of which there are many, they've got no chance without new engines.

With the way recent races have gone they should be more concerned with finishing than points.