Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wayne DR
Wayne DR

Re: Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team 2015

drunkf1fan wrote:After the pitstop penalty Hamilton knew it was over and backed off, when he did, Rosberg did
So you are saying that Rosberg would not have "accidentally" backed Hamilton into Vettel? Vettel didn't need to pass Hamilton to do the damage...

Nico is a smart guy, Lewis getting 3rd rather than 2nd would put him 6 points closer. (Lewis was already pissed off getting 2nd, he would have blown a gasket getting 3rd!)

GPR-A duplicate2

Wayne DR wrote:
drunkf1fan wrote:After the pitstop penalty Hamilton knew it was over and backed off, when he did, Rosberg did
So you are saying that Rosberg would not have "accidentally" backed Hamilton into Vettel? Vettel didn't need to pass Hamilton to do the damage...

Nico is a smart guy, Lewis getting 3rd rather than 2nd would put him 6 points closer. (Lewis was already pissed off getting 2nd, he would have blown a gasket getting 3rd!)
None of what you are saying make sense in the context of the race. Mercs knew Vettel got screwed up in Pits and even when Vettel went into pits, he was 16 seconds behind the leading Merc. As soon as Mercs knew there is NO challenge and hamilton knew he was simply not fast enough to challenge Nico, they went for comfortable race. As simple as that. With the kind of pace that the Mercs had, Vettel couldn't have been within 5 seconds behind Lewis, even if he wouldn't have endured pit stop problem.

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

Niki Lauda admits he was “surprised” how easily Rosberg and Hamilton drove away in Austria. Vettel admitted: “We were not as close as we had hoped.” Wolff confirmed: “The first 10, 15 laps, we drove flat out. Then we could relax a little.”
Indeed, Rosberg said after a fast start on Sunday, it had actually been “one of the easiest victories of my career”.

Source: http://www.grandprix247.com/2015/06/23/ ... -mercedes/

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

Pretty much what GPR-A said, when the cars were competing, Vettel was 16 seconds behind, they weren't within 0.5/lap of pace of the Mercs. After the pitstops the Mercs had a huge gap and nothing to fight for, Vettel was pushing because he had a chance to pass the guy ahead of him. Merc's cruising and Vettel pushing hard and Vettel still barely made a dent in the gap to Hamilton. If Hamilton didn't have the penalty he would have been pushing Rosberg harder though maybe only for 5-10 laps after the pit or 5-10 laps at the end.

For Rosberg to even attempt to push Hamilton into Vettel he'd have needed to have managed his pace far better and maintain a much smaller gap for before the pitstop and giving Vettel a chance to undercut Hamilton, something he clearly didn't do.

FrukostScones

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119646

that shouldn't be discussed in public
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

wickedz50
wickedz50

FrukostScones wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119646

He says that Ferrari is making steady progress against Mercs and they lose 3/10th to 2/10th every lap to the Merc :lol: :lol: :lol: is that not public yet?

Has this guy ever managed any racing team in the past? has he any intention to compete with the Mercs?

PlatinumZealot

I know what you're saying, but he is the boss, he decides what is released to the public and we like him more for it! =D>
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

PlatinumZealot wrote:

I know what you're saying, but he is the boss, he decides what is released to the public and we like him more for it! =D>
More importantly he's heading off the notion that they are under performing in the race. Think of it this way, every damn friday practice people see the times, attempt to compare them at face value despite now years of proof of how the teams like to run in FP2. Currently Ferrari tend to run what I think is effectively second stint fuel levels and/or higher engine power. Mercedes go full fuel loads on seemingly both tires and/or lower engine power. 99% of people and in particular the idiots on sky and other places rather than use their brains and quantify how fast with the almost certainty they aren't running same fuel loads they instead spend 2 days hyping up how fast Ferrari look and how close the race will be. Then qualifying happens and the argument from people turns to Merc having a qualifying advantage but how those FP2 times prove Ferrari are better in race pace... then the race comes along and Ferrari aren't anywhere.

He's putting an end to that, overhyping performance means Ferrari are set up to fail every single Sunday, the fans believing they matched Merc but failed effectively every race. Ferrari need to both not stick their heads in the sand and pretend they are fast enough and they need to stop people overestimating their performance and then disappointing everyone.

He's doing absolutely the right thing. Ferrari made a BIG step, 2-3/10ths(which is pretty... optimistic) is a significantly smaller gap to Merc than they had last year. THey made a big step but from way way too far back last year. Hopefully they'll make another big step next year. THe car will be closer to an evolution than a revolution. The W04 was revolution, the W05/06 have been evolutions. Make a new car, second year, keep the best bits, work on the worst bits and that is why you get diminishing returns... when everything is a best bit it's hard to even know where to improve.

zoru
zoru

PlatinumZealot wrote:If you use all the fuel you are allowed it means everything leading up to that point was your true maximum average pace over the race.
That is not always the case.
You can whip the PU to the qualifying mode, lift & coast more to consume the same amount of fuel, and go faster.
Or you can turn the PU down, do less lift & coast, use the same amount of fuel, go slower, and give less stress to the PU.

mika vs michael
mika vs michael

bring back ross brawn. he is the man to do the job.no one else.
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

Juzh

zoru wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:If you use all the fuel you are allowed it means everything leading up to that point was your true maximum average pace over the race.
That is not always the case.
You can whip the PU to the qualifying mode, lift & coast more to consume the same amount of fuel, and go faster.
Or you can turn the PU down, do less lift & coast, use the same amount of fuel, go slower, and give less stress to the PU.
hahahahah

bhall II
bhall II

drunkf1fan wrote:More importantly he's heading off the notion that they are under performing in the race...
The only people pushing the idea of a genuinely competitive Ferrari are people at Mercedes.
grandprix.com wrote:"I cannot tell if that's the reason for the gap, but none of us has any illusion that in the long runs, [Ferrari] have been faster than us [in Austria].

"I have to admit," Wolff added, "I am not as confident as I was before the last grands prix."
Whereas...
grandprix.com wrote:"We have to be realistic," [Vettel] said.

"We know that we would need a perfect weekend and for Mercedes to stumble. Under normal circumstances, it is very difficult to beat them."

"The gap is still quite large," Vettel added.
Why?
grandprix.com wrote:The mood for immediate change in the increasingly-alarmed F1 paddock is growing.

Summing up the burgeoning crisis, McLaren team boss Eric Boullier told Spain's Marca: "Drivers are not happy, the public is noticing and they (the audience) are leaving F1."
Mercedes can't afford that.

Bold prediction: the "fight" between Hamilton and Rosberg will soon resemble their controversial "fight" last year. Anything to distract from the reality that the current formula is irreparably broken is good for Mercedes.

nismo

And so it possibly begins?

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns31248.html

windwaves
windwaves

drunkf1fan wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

More importantly he's heading off the notion that they are under performing in the race. Think of it this way, every damn friday practice people see the times, attempt to compare them at face value despite now years of proof of how the teams like to run in FP2. Currently Ferrari tend to run what I think is effectively second stint fuel levels and/or higher engine power. Mercedes go full fuel loads on seemingly both tires and/or lower engine power. 99% of people and in particular the idiots on sky and other places rather than use their brains and quantify how fast with the almost certainty they aren't running same fuel loads they instead spend 2 days hyping up how fast Ferrari look and how close the race will be. Then qualifying happens and the argument from people turns to Merc having a qualifying advantage but how those FP2 times prove Ferrari are better in race pace... then the race comes along and Ferrari aren't anywhere.

He's putting an end to that, overhyping performance means Ferrari are set up to fail every single Sunday, the fans believing they matched Merc but failed effectively every race. Ferrari need to both not stick their heads in the sand and pretend they are fast enough and they need to stop people overestimating their performance and then disappointing everyone.

He's doing absolutely the right thing. Ferrari made a BIG step, 2-3/10ths(which is pretty... optimistic) is a significantly smaller gap to Merc than they had last year. THey made a big step but from way way too far back last year. Hopefully they'll make another big step next year. THe car will be closer to an evolution than a revolution. The W04 was revolution, the W05/06 have been evolutions. Make a new car, second year, keep the best bits, work on the worst bits and that is why you get diminishing returns... when everything is a best bit it's hard to even know where to improve.

great post ! and yes, 2-3/10ths might be a bit optimistic.

windwaves
windwaves

By the way, Omnicorse states that Ferrari was sandbagging at the tests ..... hard to believe certain reporters are so stupid !