Mclaren Honda 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
zeph
zeph

Re: Mclaren Honda 2015

FWIW, I'm not sure changing horses midstream is the answer here, but what do I know.

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

zeph wrote:FWIW, I'm not sure changing horses midstream is the answer here, but what do I know.
No, I am not convinced that an outsider would be able to immediately get onto solving the problem - there would surely be a phase of overseeing the entire project, learning the processes, general info gather and then implementing change. That isn't a quick process in any walk of life.

Friends always tell me the Japanese business culture is very different from Western business...

mikeerfol

Thunder

Let's hope they don't just make pretty Pictures. ^^

Edit: Seems like KMag is driving today https://twitter.com/KevinMagnussen/stat ... 2923765760
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Thunder18
Thunder18

Hi Guys and Gals(??)

Long time reader, first time poster, my tech jargon might not be up to scratch with everyone here but I promise to try to keep up :P

Been following Honda's reintroduction to the sport with keen interest and albeit as disappointed as we all are, it is a long term project, plus with all this social media it's too easy for fans to jump on the backlash bandwagon....

Here's the latest from Arai..... second half of the season promises to be much better....

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns31382.html

Thunder

Is that Fernando driving? Too small on my Phone but it looks like his Helmet.
https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/619098673981460480
Last edited by Thunder on 09 Jul 2015, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.
#aerogollum

Writinglife
Writinglife

Nice article,

Makes me wonder if McLaren don't progress at all, whether Arai-san will appear next year with a missing finger.

Thunder

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/619119157817286656 Supposedly 3 Tokens on the ICE for Hungary or Spa.
#aerogollum

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Thunders wrote:Is that Fernando driving? Too small on my Phone but it looks like his Helmet.

Yep, I think you're right on that one.

kptaylor
kptaylor

Nope, story said KMag was doing filming wearing both ALO & BUT helmets...

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Indeed, read that on twitter as well, very confusing

Thunder

Confusing, but it makes sense from a marketing Standpoint.
#aerogollum

zeph
zeph

ChrisF1 wrote:Friends always tell me the Japanese business culture is very different from Western business...
I guess so. One major difference I have heard about is that when the company hits a rough spot, the CEO's all take hits on their salaries before any non-executive personnel is fired. Western companies tend to lay off the workers first and preserve executive pay.

Edax
Edax

zeph wrote:
ChrisF1 wrote:Friends always tell me the Japanese business culture is very different from Western business...
I guess so. One major difference I have heard about is that when the company hits a rough spot, the CEO's all take hits on their salaries before any non-executive personnel is fired. Western companies tend to lay off the workers first and preserve executive pay.
I have some experience with Japanese companies and troubled project, working from Europe it was difficult.

One thing is the hierarchical way of communication. Normally with a western company you call the responsible engineer and ask him your questions. Perhaps you will get some filtering from his management but usually communication is pretty straightforward. With these companies I had to have my management relay the question to the management on the other side. They consulted their engineers formulated the answer, which got back via my management. It is extremely inefficient. It sometimes took me over a week to get a simple piece of information.

Another thing is lack of escalation culture. When a project here goes awry, we step in and poor more resources on the project, replace people on key positions, hire outside help etc. I'm not saying that that is always as successful, but with the Japanese projects that I was involved in they just kept running the same team and started pushing them to solve it. Even when it became painfully obvious that the team despite their hard work would not provide the solution.

I don't know the background of that, whether it is the belief in the Kaizen principles (improvement from the work floor) or that it is a hesitation to admit that the project is not going well.

I'm certainly no cultural expert. Although I have heard similar stories from others, I don't know to what extend my experience is representative for Japanese companies or Honda in particular. But if it is then I can understand some of the difficulties Mclaren is experiencing now.

PlatinumZealot

Thunders wrote:Is that Fernando driving? Too small on my Phone but it looks like his Helmet.

Hmm engine sounds very different! I think a fresh engine was fitted with the Austria maps.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028