Mclaren Honda 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ME4ME

Re: Mclaren Honda 2015

vantage87 wrote:McLaren is preparing a new aerodynamic kit, according Arai

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... &sandbox=1
Again? Spaghetti to the wall approach?

They had massive upgrades in Austria. I wonder if they have even fully verified them, with only 1 car finishing 1 race with the new package so far.

bhall II
bhall II

PlatinumZealot wrote:Old speculation at best that he is at Honda. No mention of him anywhere, which would be quite unusual.
I've even seen it specifically stated that he does not work for Honda...
nonf1.com wrote:In an interview with British magazine Autosport head of the sports division of Honda Arai the role of Simon in the project.

Arai «It is true that Gilles Simon participated in the drafting of a new regulation on the motors in the FIA, it is true that we have received from him some information about the technology, but this does not mean that Gilles participates in the development of the engine. Designing a new motor engineers Honda, Simon is not involved in this process».
Like I said, it's just my assumption that Honda's design is a continuation of PURE's work. I have no proof either way. But, it's not as unreasonable as it may seem, and it would go a long way toward explaining the power unit's abysmal performance thus far.

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Andres125sx wrote:It may be useful for a midfielder copying the leaders because they know they will never beat them, but not for a top team trying to beat them
That's a wrong reasoning. Top teams copy all the time, even from the 'mediocre' teams. Remember double deck diffusers? Brawn wasn't really a considered a top team at that moment. It's useful for a top team to copy to increase/keep/manage the lead. And top teams copy from each other all the time: short nose, blown diffuser, coanda exhaust, f-duct, ...

And on the Tesla patent subject, I'm not making that up, it's not my opinion, Musk said so himself:
http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2014/07/08/te ... /id=50331/

bhall II
bhall II

Jef Patat wrote:Remember double deck diffusers? Brawn wasn't really a considered a top team at that moment.
To further underscore your point, the double-diffuser actually came from Super Aguri.

Also...

TF107, 6th in 2007 WCC vs. F2008, 1st in 2008 WCC

Andres125sx

Obviously all teams copy new and useful solutions from the rest of the grid, I´d never deny that.

But some teams at the same time try to innovate at some fields to get something unique wich may push them over the rest (split turbo, FRIC, blown diffusers, mass dumper...), while others keep using same known technologies/solutions without any innovation at all

Without any innovation you can win from time to time when nobody brings in anything new AND you do a better job, but usually it´s teams who innovate who stablish domination periods

Vasconia

vantage87 wrote:Honda has an engine with 70 hp more (from El Mundo Deportivo)

I would like to believe that this is true but I have 0 confidende with the Spanish newpapers. And even if this true...well, we will see. 70hp is great improvement so it could help Mclaren to achieve a great result in Hungary, if the engine resists the hole race!

Andres125sx

Vasconia wrote:I would like to believe that this is true but I have 0 confidende with the Spanish newpapers.
Not sure about El Mundo Deportivo as I never read it, but IMO most spanish newspapers (and journalists) are anything but professionals or technicals, but they have good and reliable sources in most cases

vantage87
vantage87

Exclusive Eric Boullier Q&A

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-web ... pects.html

"... Q: Why is it that you cannot 'power-up' the engine?

EB: It is not completely down to only power - it has also to do with the driveability of the engine, which has proved very difficult and complex to manage so far. Let me give you an example: we all have the same power in terms of electrical power, but some engines are doing a better job in recovering the energy. That is why you see a difference in qualifying and the race. We are not able today to unlock the full recovery potential because if we do it creates reliability issues - and that hurts us in terms of performance. But it is there! We just have to find the right remedies to unlock it.

Q: Jenson Button said lately that a podium this season is rather unrealistic. Is that what you have emotionally accepted?

EB: No. I am repeating myself: if we can unlock the potential we will maybe be fighting - with some luck - for a podium. If you can deploy your MGU-K power on the straights on every lap, that is worth a lot of time. Today we can't do that ..."

GoranF1
GoranF1

He also said in that inteview it may take 10 races to have some decent result....so 70 HP Hungury is most likley press bullshit.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

max_speed
max_speed

ajnšpric_pumpa wrote:He also said in that inteview it may take 10 races to have some decent result....so 70 HP Hungury is most likley press bullshit.
i am damn sure 70hp is bullshit and media created thingy, since start of season we are getting only PR things, be it Arai, boullier or Ron. we all know what will be said after another debacle in Hungary.i have lost faith in honda.

Moose
Moose

ME4ME wrote:
vantage87 wrote:McLaren is preparing a new aerodynamic kit, according Arai

Again? Spaghetti to the wall approach?

They had massive upgrades in Austria. I wonder if they have even fully verified them, with only 1 car finishing 1 race with the new package so far.
I don't think this is spaghetti + wall.

I think it's that they know that Honda is bringing engine power, and because of that, they can afford to run more drag, so they're bringing a package with more wing.

bhall II
bhall II

Andres125sx wrote:Obviously all teams copy new and useful solutions from the rest of the grid, I´d never deny that.

But some teams at the same time try to innovate at some fields to get something unique wich may push them over the rest (split turbo, FRIC, blown diffusers, mass dumper...), while others keep using same known technologies/solutions without any innovation at all

Without any innovation you can win from time to time when nobody brings in anything new AND you do a better job, but usually it´s teams who innovate who stablish domination periods
My point has never been to criticize innovation in and of itself. There's obviously nothing inherently wrong with unique solutions to common problems. However, it becomes problematic if doing so detracts in any way from the ultimate goal of fielding the quickest overall concept, regardless of origin. That's why I don't necessarily agree with Alonso's oft-stated take on McLaren-Honda's current philosophy.
Fernando Alonso wrote:To beat Mercedes you need to do something special and not to copy them or follow them because then you will be behind all the time.
He's taken a very dim view of what he considers to be an iterative development strategy at Ferrari now that he's no longer with the team. But, he also conveniently forgets that Ferrari gave everyone a master class on the perils of a myopic focus on doing things differently...

Sometimes you end up outsmarting yourself

Conversely...
Adrian Newey wrote:The RB6 was probably the car with the most downforce in the history of F1, more even than the legendary spoiler cars of the 1980s. We measured up to 5.5G of lateral acceleration.
Everything about this car had been done before

bill shoe
bill shoe

vantage87 wrote:Honda has an engine with 70 hp more (from El Mundo Deportivo)

This source is terrible. They say: "Hungaroring is a circuit where power is crucial..." No no no no no. Hungary is a slick, twisty, tight track with low power influence on laptime. What random person wrote that stuff?

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

vantage87 wrote:Exclusive Eric Boullier Q&A

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-web ... pects.html

"... Q: Why is it that you cannot 'power-up' the engine?

EB: It is not completely down to only power - it has also to do with the driveability of the engine, which has proved very difficult and complex to manage so far. Let me give you an example: we all have the same power in terms of electrical power, but some engines are doing a better job in recovering the energy. That is why you see a difference in qualifying and the race. We are not able today to unlock the full recovery potential because if we do it creates reliability issues - and that hurts us in terms of performance. But it is there! We just have to find the right remedies to unlock it.
What a BS answer. It's not power, it's not driveability, it has both, it's just that when we use it we have reliability issues. To me that means you have neither power, nor driveability and the results show that even with a powered down engine the reliability is not always there. Oh and off course, we have to 'unlock' it.

I must admit it sounds better than: it doesn't work the way we thought it would and we're trying to fix it.

Andres125sx

bhall II wrote:But, he also conveniently forgets that Ferrari gave everyone a master class on the perils of a myopic focus on doing things differently...
Doing small things differently, always assuming as little risks as posible

Andres125sx wrote:http://i.imgur.com/bTEH587.jpg
Everything about this car had been done before
Diffusers?

Flexible nose/floor?

Blown diffusers were not used on this car yet? Sure?