Mclaren Honda 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RZS10

Re: Mclaren Honda 2015

EDIT: Ok they just announced "holiday time 20 minutes later ...

this post can be deleted
Last edited by RZS10 on 07 Aug 2015, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.

Andres125sx

godlameroso wrote:You do remember they were back markers at the start of 09, and started winning races towards the end of the season right? Don't count out McLaren's ability to develop a car, also PU development takes a lot longer than chassis development.
No, I don´t remember that. I remember Lewis finishind 3rd in first race of 2009, then he was disqualified because of lying to stewarts, but the car was competitive enough to finish in the podium.

In next races 7th, 6th and 4th. I don´t consider that to be back markers

PlatinumZealot

Just_a_fan wrote:Looks like they were just random victims. Apparently this method has been used around the area before.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33814823

The idea that McLaren should provide security is a little excessive to be honest.
Sleeping powder is not a new tactic by burglars... just shocking its done to people in a hotel!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

zeph
zeph

Thunders wrote:Much to come from Honda after the Summer break:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... 1360844370

Arai:
"After the summer shutdown our plan is to apply a new-spec engine using some of our remaining seven tokens.

"Current regulations require high efficiency of the combustion so we want to change the characteristic with the chamber design and intake and exhaust system layout.

"Another issue we will be addressing is reducing mechanical friction by changing the gear-train system along with the combustion.

"We knew it wouldn't be easy, but perhaps we didn't imagine it would be this hard.

"I certainly didn't imagine technology-wise what we would be facing, but I have complete confidence in the direction we have taken with our power unit.

Also Ron Dennis is confident the worst is behind McHonda:
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/denni ... -light-up/

And Arai feeling the Pressure: (mostly the same as the Autosport Article)
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2015/08/h ... r-results/

Of course they need to maintain a positive attitude, certainly towards the press, and I truly hope they'll be competitive rather sooner than later, but if history is anything to go by, the odds are against them.

In the previous turbo era, Honda entered mid-season 1983, keeping a low profile with the Spirit-Honda team. For 1984 they partnered up with Williams, they had the power but reliability wasn't great. Towards the end of the 1985 season, Williams-Honda became competitive, more than two years after Honda first entered. In 1986 They reigned supreme, even though they lost the WDC because of intra-team struggles. But Honda engines won every WCC from 1986-1991.

I'd think that with today's test restrictions, and greatly increased complexity of the PU's, there really isn't any reason to believe they will be competitive this year, or even next year, for that matter.

But here's hoping that I'm wrong.

j.yank
j.yank

zeph wrote: Of course they need to maintain a positive attitude, certainly towards the press, and I truly hope they'll be competitive rather sooner than later, but if history is anything to go by, the odds are against them.

In the previous turbo era, Honda entered mid-season 1983, keeping a low profile with the Spirit-Honda team. For 1984 they partnered up with Williams, they had the power but reliability wasn't great. Towards the end of the 1985 season, Williams-Honda became competitive, more than two years after Honda first entered. In 1986 They reigned supreme, even though they lost the WDC because of intra-team struggles. But Honda engines won every WCC from 1986-1991.

I'd think that with today's test restrictions, and greatly increased complexity of the PU's, there really isn't any reason to believe they will be competitive this year, or even next year, for that matter.

But here's hoping that I'm wrong.
You cannot compare the R&D process from 80's to present day engineering potential of the teams. Even with restricted tests they are capable to model many more variants, to design and produce the required parts faster than before. We saw what progress can make a team today with Ferrari during the winter pause. Actually they moved from mediocre engine to podium contender for just couple of months. I don't see reason why Honda cannot repeat this until end of this season.

mclaren111

I agree.

More positive words from Arai:
Arai made clear that Honda's ongoing engine development push will naturally carry over to the 2016 season, given the stability in the regulations.

"We're already focused on 2016, of course, but we are still concentrating on the second half of the 2015 season too," he explained.

"We value 2015 as much as 2016 because the regulations will remain the same. This means we can develop an idea for 2016, and if it works we can implement it in 2015."

Gaz.
Gaz.

mclaren111 wrote:I agree.

More positive words from Arai:
Arai made clear that Honda's ongoing engine development push will naturally carry over to the 2016 season, given the stability in the regulations.

"We're already focused on 2016, of course, but we are still concentrating on the second half of the 2015 season too," he explained.

"We value 2015 as much as 2016 because the regulations will remain the same. This means we can develop an idea for 2016, and if it works we can implement it in 2015."
Is that not stating the obvious?
Forza Jules

mclaren111

Gaz:
Is that not stating the obvious?
No. Look at what Renault are doing.

Certain things can be changed this year but not next year. Also, Honda need to careful how and what is changed this year to ensure tokens are not wasted next year.

mclaren111

Andrew Benson from BBC:
You wouldn't know it from looking at the results, but this is the best McLaren chassis since 2012.

It's not a Mercedes, but it is up there in the region of Red Bull/Toro Rosso/Ferrari among the best of the rest. There have been too many gearbox problems, though.
What gearbox problems is he referring to ? I can't remember that many gearbox issues !!

FoxHound

It would be well worth reminding posters that Andrew Benson is defacto mouthpiece for McLaren.
I personally, have asked him where his figures regarding the chassis come from, given the Honda units power varying wildly from lap to lap at times.

The answer is always murky. "Insiders" suggest it be the case.
That is just plain bullshit in my view.
It also completely foregoes any sort of form Mclaren had in 2013/14 when we could compare things(teams using Merc engines).
JET set

Thunder

wow, an upvote on a Bot Spampost. Nice. Didn't see that before. Do we have Upvote Bots now too? ^^
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Andres125sx

mclaren111 wrote:Andrew Benson from BBC:
You wouldn't know it from looking at the results, but this is the best McLaren chassis since 2012.

It's not a Mercedes, but it is up there in the region of Red Bull/Toro Rosso/Ferrari among the best of the rest. There have been too many gearbox problems, though.
What gearbox problems is he referring to ? I can't remember that many gearbox issues !!
Alonso in Monaco for example

Vegetabill
Vegetabill

What the hell is that all about?? /\ /\

Chuckjr

It's a bot. Ignore it. They will clean it up.
Watching F1 since 1986.

godlameroso

Andres125sx wrote:
godlameroso wrote:You do remember they were back markers at the start of 09, and started winning races towards the end of the season right? Don't count out McLaren's ability to develop a car, also PU development takes a lot longer than chassis development.
No, I don´t remember that. I remember Lewis finishind 3rd in first race of 2009, then he was disqualified because of lying to stewarts, but the car was competitive enough to finish in the podium.

In next races 7th, 6th and 4th. I don´t consider that to be back markers
You have shoddy memory then, let me refresh your mind.

Race 1 DSQ
Race 2 7th
Race 3 6th
Race 4 4th
Race 5 9th
Race 6 12th
Race 7 13th
Race 8 16th
Race 9 18th
Race 10 1st Hungary after they got to grips with the KERS
Race 11 2nd
Race 12 Ret
Race 13 12th
Race 14 1st
Race 15 3rd
Race 16 3rd
Race 17 Ret
Point total:49

Car was not competitive till the second half of the season.
Saishū kōnā