Mclaren Honda 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Thunder

Re: Mclaren Honda 2015

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Andres125sx

Thanks Thunders, from that link:
Eric Boullier wrote:It's not just the power, the engines are very complicated in terms of energy recovery. So what I mean by this, you have an engine, which is an internal combustion engine, and an electrical power engine. If you can properly manage the energy, because we have limitations per lap, you can use both of them to maximum. At Spa, we were lacking a little bit of power on combustion engine but we can't use 100 per cent of our electrical power which means it is a big hurt for us. To give you an idea here, we can't use it on the two straight lines and not even in the full straight line. When we know, Renault and Ferrari and Mercedes use it in all the straight line, in full.
No more comments needed

Abarth

Wazari wrote:
trinidefender wrote:
Wazari wrote:http://encdn.f1i.com/wp-content/uploads ... son-EN.jpg

So these layouts are incorrect?
Do we know where that image came from. To me it looks like a simple artists mockup of what things could be like.

People like to talk about the axial compressor idea because it hasn't been used before and it sounds fancy yet even up to now nobody has been able to show me an axial compressor, research or otherwise, that even comes close to providing the required PR increase through one stage as required by regulations.

The axial turbine is actually possible and from what I've seen looks like a viable alternative. Maybe you can send your nephew the image and ask if he can say if the image depicted looks similar to the actual Honda unit. If he can confirm that no, that is not how it is set up then he hasn't actually given anything away, he has just simply confirmed that the image is wrong?
I already have asked my nephew. All he said to me was that the image of Honda's PU is somewhere between 95 to 99% accurate. I think that is all he really can say.
Thanks!
From photos of the Honda charge air pipes going to/coming from intercooler, and the exhaust it is almost impossible to guess another layout than the one posted. It pretty sure is correct...

kptaylor
kptaylor

Just taking a layman's approach to those images. Honda has too many airflow direction changes which may hurt efficiency. Renault needlessly adds heat to the intake air ahead of the intercooler (running next to exhaust manifold), reducing efficiency.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

So now Mclaren Honda have introduced 2 new engines to their engine pool for each car for no penalty. The original regulations were designed to prevent these shenanigans and everyone cried about how ridiculous it was. If anyone else was doing this there would be crying from the roof tops, not even Red Bull are 'skirting' the regulations so openly.

Thunder

Red Bull does the same thing at Monza......
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Thunders wrote:Red Bull does the same thing at Monza......
No they haven't, Red Bull are only making the one planned engine change. At Spa and Monza Mclaren have put in 2 new engines each race and because they're already last on the grid, the last penalty does nothing so they effectively get a free engine. They have done this twice now so they have gotten 2 completely free engines to use to the end of the season.

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

Mclaren said they would only be introducing 1 new engine per car this weekend, not two - have you got confirmation that they're doing a second swap between FP1 and FP2, or between FP2 and FP3?

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

They started doing a swap in FP1 and the Sky commentators said they were going for 2 engines this weekend.

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

Cheers, did they start the swap because of issues in the session, or due to time constraints?

Sayeman

Alonso's top speed was 337 compared to Mercedes' 352km/h, so things are not as bad as i thought it would be...
Btw Looks like ricciardo's got the same top speed as Alonso and yet he is .700-1second faster.
Is Mclaren chassis to blame?
Never Give up.

mikeerfol

It would be interesting to know their top speed on the other big straights.

majki2111

Sayeman wrote:Alonso's top speed was 337 compared to Mercedes' 352km/h, so things are not as bad as i thought it would be...
Btw Looks like ricciardo's got the same top speed as Alonso and yet he is .700-1second faster.
Is Mclaren chassis to blame?
I wouldn't base calculations on top speeds only. Too much variables behind it.

Andres125sx

Cold Fussion wrote:So now Mclaren Honda have introduced 2 new engines to their engine pool for each car for no penalty. The original regulations were designed to prevent these shenanigans and everyone cried about how ridiculous it was. If anyone else was doing this there would be crying from the roof tops, not even Red Bull are 'skirting' the regulations so openly.
Spanish comentators said they´re putting Hungary PU, not a new one.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Cold Fussion wrote:So now Mclaren Honda have introduced 2 new engines to their engine pool for each car for no penalty. The original regulations were designed to prevent these shenanigans and everyone cried about how ridiculous it was. If anyone else was doing this there would be crying from the roof tops, not even Red Bull are 'skirting' the regulations so openly.
Without penalty? They will start on the back row for the race again, I think they would much rather not change the engine and qualify further up etc.

Explain to me how McLaren are getting any kind of advantage out of this? :roll: