Mclaren Honda 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Moose
Moose

Re: Mclaren Honda 2015

I really want to down vote the above, but there's no option for "needs sarcasm detector adjusted".

Italiano
Italiano

Judging by this, a full 2015 Ferrari spec Manor would have been infront of McHonda.
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Moose wrote:I really want to down vote the above, but there's no option for "needs sarcasm detector adjusted".
(technical) ranting :wink:

iHpled
iHpled

McG wrote:McLaren had to brake earlier because they were running the lowest downforce.

Honda are just terrible. Still.
That and i think Button and Alonso try to compensate the lack of power from the powerunit. Braking earlier to keep the car relatively stable and get a nice turn in. That way they keep relatively higher corner and exit speeds. Thats why Mclaren is scoring good on steering i guess.

KingHamilton01

Does anyone have any idea's on what McLaren are planning to bring to the singapore Grand prix upgrade wise, I did see it mentioned that A new front wing was on the way as well as possible more engine tokens being used up there or at Suzuka. They seemed to be very confident of the chances of doing well on less power dependant circuit, but clearly we need to see more improvement in Aero and Engine now end of season is drawing ever closer.

They need something to give them a positive foundation to work with going into the winter although it seem's like key components of the engine will be completely re-designed?
McLaren Mercedes

PlatinumZealot

diffuser wrote:
zeph wrote:
vantage87 wrote:
Insiders say that the Honda at its best is at least 100bhp down on the Mercedes - and that the hybrid element of the power-unit, which accounts for 160-180bhp of the total power of the engine, runs out of boost part-way down all but the shortest of straights. That means the McLaren-Honda is lagging nearly 300bhp behind the Mercedes for a significant proportion of the straights on the Monza track, and is by some measure the worst engine in F1.
I read that article, and it sounds like unadulterated crap to me. By all accounts, the ICE is in the ballpark, they just need to fix the MCU-H/K.
You all get real emotional about stuff that for the most part is true.

EB said they could only use the ers-k for boost for less than half the lap at SPA. So, for the rest of that lap, they were down 180BHP + or - whatever the difference in Power of their ICE to Merc. "Nearly 300" isn' t out the realm of possibilities. 251 can be "Nearly 300bhp".
Sorry that 300hp not right. almost silly.. Check your calculations.
If you so care, my well taken calculations from on boards shorts from Spa and Monza show that Honda is down about 130hp of ICE + ERS combined at end of straight. The Honda engine actually cannot use the maximal energy from the ES and/or MGUH on long straights depending on the successive lap. Whether it is due to overheating, or simply running out of charge we don't know.
My calcs showed Honda was 30hp down on ICE... Arai said it was about 40 to 50hp. The other 70 or so horsepower is ERS.
Note that this is will show it's ugly head over a race distane becasue it is not only about power it is about energy efficiency and how much of the lap you can use your recovered energy.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

nanocustic

I thought there wasn't going to be any more token spending until next season.

"Spa is the final upgrade for this year, with ancillaries to follow in the following race" said Arai.
Meliora

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

nanocustic wrote:I thought there wasn't going to be any more token spending until next season.

"Spa is the final upgrade for this year, with ancillaries to follow in the following race" said Arai.
I was under the impression they intended to spend all points at Spa but delayed a few parts. I think we'll see them in Japan, but if they weren't confident enough to put them in for Spa they may need a change, who knows if they'll be ready in time. Obviously they'll want to do everything they can to put on the best show possible in their home race but I really don't rate it.

Honestly I can't see it making a difference. After a story of Arai seemingly admitting they need to change the layout and basically redo the ers system... they realise this engine as it's designed/intended will never be good enough.

Colour me surprised, all year I thought and said they won't be competitive until they make basically the same changes Ferrari have... after making exactly the same mistakes. Difference is Ferrari realised and admitted their mistake earlier in the year and brought in the right guys to turn it around quickly. If Ferrari realised they had the ERS wrong after preseason testing, went after the Lotus(ex Merc) ERS guy and the fuel(merc?) guy in say April they had 10 months to make this 2015 engine. If Honda only realised in the past month that the upgraded engine wasn't close to good enough they already have 4-5 months less than Ferrari to make the changes the engine needs and they don't look to be bringing in the guys who would help shortcut the process. I'm not enthusiastic about their 2016 chances but 2017 chances are looking up if they have finally decided to change direction.

Of course they could have been basically lying about believing this engine was fine all year rather than admitting it earlier, as such they could have been working on a changed 2016 engine most of the season.

Thunder

They will use their remaining tokens.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda ... e-for-2016
“I hope we do our best for the rest of the season. We want to use our tokens for the next few races.”
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Piraxian
Piraxian

How many rules would be broken and what are the consequences likely to be (i.e. could it be any worse then it is now) by just modifying say a 2013 Chassis to take the Honda engine and running it around a test track, fixing and updating everything and then putting in a fully tested and updated engine for the last race which used say 100 token worth of changes? I know it's silly but i'm just kinda curious.

bigblue

"Bringing the sport into disrepute" followed by exclusion from the championship next year ?

superdowg316

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but Arai has stated that Honda's 2016 power unit will have a revised layout to address their shortcomings in performance. Hopefully it's the most universally truthful thing Arai has spoken this year.

Source: http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda ... e-for-2016
Honda has suggested that only a change of its power unit layout for next year will allow it to address now obvious shortcomings in its performance.

While the Japanese manufacturer stands firm that its internal combustion engine is delivering similar power figures to Renault, it is now clear that its energy recovery systems are far behind.

Honda motorsport boss Yasuhisa Arai, who faced an intense media grilling about his company's ongoing struggles on Saturday, admitted that deploying recovered energy was its weakness.

“Unfortunately less deployment on the straight-line is the reason the speed is not so good,” he said.

It is understood that solutions to the energy recovery deficit will need a rethink of certain key components – which are believed to include the compressor.

Such changes cannot be made during the campaign because of the tight engine homologation regulations.

Arai said therefore that progress would be limited this year, even with development tokens left to use, but suggested that bigger changes for 2016 were already being prepared.

“We already found what is the weak point for the power unit, so we have already started work on next season development,” he explained.

When asked if token use this year would help at all, he explained: “Right now I cannot say anything about future tokens in this season. But the weak point is the deployment.

“It is very difficult because of a layout issue. Of course, we want to change that for next year but first we want to get a small number of gains of the deployment every race.”

Friendship with Honda ended, Renault is my new (and more reliable) friend.

alexx_88
alexx_88

They don't really need to do that. From what I understand, AVL has a dynamic dyno which can run the whole car. Similarly, as long as you are not gathering aero-data, you're free to run your car-engine on that dyno for as long as you want. Ferrari also has one, as I presume all the PU manufacturers do.

At this point, they are limited by the token-system which makes it impossible for them to change the layout of the 2015 design, even if they'd have it ready.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda-eyes-power-unit-layout-change-for-2016 wrote: It is understood that solutions to the energy recovery deficit will need a rethink of certain key components – which are believed to include the compressor.

Such changes cannot be made during the campaign because of the tight engine homologation regulations.

mclaren111

Adding to above:
Arai said therefore that progress would be limited this year, even with development tokens left to use, but suggested that bigger changes for 2016 were already being prepared.
This year is and will be testing for next year only. Do not expect much improvement this year :(

Jikumo
Jikumo

Obviously it will. Maybe some points to be won but nothing special :(