Mclaren Honda 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mrluke
mrluke

Re: Mclaren Honda 2015

Sounds like Honda have copied Ferrari's 2014 design rather than Mercedes. I don't understand why they would do that but at least Ferrari have shown that it is possible to bounce back from it strongly over winter. Fingers crossed.

McG

Let's hope they do a better job starting from now but somehow I doubt it. Hopefully this silly Honda partnerships won't last long. Maybe BMW could team up with McLaren. At least they would let McLaren have more influence on the energy recovery side of things if needed.

I bet Honda didn't take anything to do with the Mercedes engine into account when designing their engine. As it was said before, Honda have been too honest for their own good. You have to exploit the grey areas and bend the rules a little to win championships or even do well.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

Wazari

I have some insight to Honda Racing that some people may not have and I can tell you that Honda did not copy Ferrari's 2014 design. They are miles apart. I am biased towards Honda for many reasons and probably not totally objective in my views but the shortfall of Honda's PU IMO is mostly to blame on Honda's executives and McLaren. Honda should have put their foot down and insisted to wait until 2016. I'm sure there were pressures and compromises made between Ron Dennis and Ito. (I personally do not care for either of them. Yes I have met them both.) Also IMO this "size O" concept is a mistake. I also know how arrogant Promoudou can be and how forceful he can be. Again I blame Honda for bowing down to try and rush and put together a "mini" package to fit the PU. Basic F1 design will tell you that you design the bodywork around the powertrain, not the other way around. This is so stupid, again IMO. If I were a betting man, I would bet that this "size 0" concept is scrapped for 2016. If it's not, then shame on Honda and McLaren both for sticking to a losing concept. This makes me angry and I'm sorry to vent...

Arai-san is a brilliant individual whom I am so sorry to see being used as a scapegoat. He doesn't deserve this. As far as someone asking him to apologize to Alonso and Button...I am at a total loss for words, but it's utter BS. This part of Formula 1, I don't miss.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

McG

They didn't copy anyone that's the problem. There was talk of Honda reverse engineering the Mercedes engine way back. Ok that was never going to happen but they could have at least took a peek. Maybe the Mercedes engine wouldn't fit in the small rear of the McLaren anyway. But the Mercedes does look small enough at the rear.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

mrluke
mrluke

By copying Ferrari 2014 i was referring to the placement of the compressor within the V of the engine which restricts it size and limits the power available for the MGU-H.

Compare this 2014 PU layout image with the 2015 one below. Particularly Ferrari 14 vs 15 and Ferrari 14 vs Honda 15.

Wazari wrote:Image

So these layouts are incorrect?
Yes I am aware the fine details of the images is not 100% correct but the main component placement is accurate.

edit: failed at spelling component.
Last edited by mrluke on 07 Sep 2015, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

Yup, Honda had the same concept as Ferrari exactly. Ferrari may not have had a size zero but their exact plan was to minimise the engine in favour of the chassis/aero design. They didn't think mgu-h harvesting was key and thus made the package smaller by compromising the turbine/compressor/mgu-h layout, size and general design.

This is the thing they changed massively for 2015 and has shown a huge turnaround in the engines performance. Honda/Mclaren went ahead and made all the same choices. Engine designed to fit a chassis concept, not the other way around. Minimised/compromised mgu-h/compressor/turbine to make the package small. the only fundamental difference is taking 18 months to rush the engineering as opposed to Ferrari getting it right as such Ferrari had reliability where Honda didn't.

I've said since April, I expect Mclaren will only become competitive when they change this size zero philosophy and focus on building a good engine and then fitting a chassis to it.

Ferrari however had longer after making the decision to work on the engine before the start of this season, they also brought in some key people with experience of mgu-h and harvesting power then on top of that had a far more reliable design to build from. I think this late in the season to decide that just improving the ICE is a dead end and a layout change is required means they have little to no chance of making the same step as Ferrari. I think more mgu-h power, some of the performance gap reduced but I can't see them fixing reliability properly or making the same jump Ferrari did.

The real questions when it comes to who is to blame would be, should Mclaren be allowed to dictate the design of the Honda engine, ultimately while a partnership they are different companies and Honda have now made a bad engine. They should have seen Ferrari's problems last year and said a flat no to making the same style of engine. Mclaren shouldn't have been some intent on size zero again after seeing Ferrari's performance last year. If Honda wanted to join in 2016 then why on earth did they allow themselves to be rushed into a 2015 engine, how did no one put their foot down and say hey, rushing engineering is a bad idea m'kay.

Realistically until some tell all book is written by someone, probably after Ron dies and someone no longer fears for his job, we won't know who made what choices and who is responsible for this season. Thing is I still just can't believe Honda allowed themselves to get into this situation, rushing an engine and following the same choices the worst engine last year made had disaster written all over it.

j.yank
j.yank

drunkf1fan wrote:Yup, Honda had the same concept as Ferrari exactly. Ferrari may not have had a size zero but their exact plan was to minimise the engine in favour of the chassis/aero design. They didn't think mgu-h harvesting was key and thus made the package smaller by compromising the turbine/compressor/mgu-h layout, size and general design.

This is the thing they changed massively for 2015 and has shown a huge turnaround in the engines performance. Honda/Mclaren went ahead and made all the same choices. Engine designed to fit a chassis concept, not the other way around. Minimised/compromised mgu-h/compressor/turbine to make the package small. the only fundamental difference is taking 18 months to rush the engineering as opposed to Ferrari getting it right as such Ferrari had reliability where Honda didn't.

I've said since April, I expect Mclaren will only become competitive when they change this size zero philosophy and focus on building a good engine and then fitting a chassis to it.

Ferrari however had longer after making the decision to work on the engine before the start of this season, they also brought in some key people with experience of mgu-h and harvesting power then on top of that had a far more reliable design to build from. I think this late in the season to decide that just improving the ICE is a dead end and a layout change is required means they have little to no chance of making the same step as Ferrari. I think more mgu-h power, some of the performance gap reduced but I can't see them fixing reliability properly or making the same jump Ferrari did.

The real questions when it comes to who is to blame would be, should Mclaren be allowed to dictate the design of the Honda engine, ultimately while a partnership they are different companies and Honda have now made a bad engine. They should have seen Ferrari's problems last year and said a flat no to making the same style of engine. Mclaren shouldn't have been some intent on size zero again after seeing Ferrari's performance last year. If Honda wanted to join in 2016 then why on earth did they allow themselves to be rushed into a 2015 engine, how did no one put their foot down and say hey, rushing engineering is a bad idea m'kay.

Realistically until some tell all book is written by someone, probably after Ron dies and someone no longer fears for his job, we won't know who made what choices and who is responsible for this season. Thing is I still just can't believe Honda allowed themselves to get into this situation, rushing an engine and following the same choices the worst engine last year made had disaster written all over it.
If this was the case, I don't think that Alonso would follow the same path of mistakes. Obviously he was perfectly aware of the Ferrari engine layout weakness and still he went after what Ron Denis had offered to him. It think that Honda have some completely different approach (as Wazari mentioned above) but obviously they have misjudge something in the layout.

j.yank
j.yank

From the same source above: http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda ... e-for-2016

He added: “We do many efforts to get more horsepower and also more control for both champion drivers, but unfortunately not only the horsepower but also deployment for the MGU-K.

"This circuit is very difficult for our power unit because the MGU-K is 120kw, but MGU-H is applied more time on the straight, so it is very difficult for us.”

This seems that they have actually problems with MGU-K that cannot deploy more power on the straights and they are forced to use MGU-H there which in turn should lower the compressor output? In this case could be the layout issue related to the position of the clutch bellow the engine block and there is not enough space for cooling the MGU-K? The deployment in any case go through MGU-K.

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

You don't really 'deploy' mgu-h, mgu-h is used primarily to harvest power to power the mgu-k. They don't have as much power for the mgu-k precisely because they haven't got nearly as much mgu-h harvesting as the other teams. This is directly from an underpowered turbo/mgu-h setup and is precisely the problem Ferrari had.

As for Alonso following the same path of mistakes, he was shoved out of Ferrari when he overplayed his hand against a company he had publicly upset(with their boss calling out Alonso for comments he made in 2013). There is a reason he went to Mclaren when all signs pointed to a bad 2015, he had no other option left to him.

I can't believe a single experienced driver would believe a 18 month development cycle would magically bring about a competitive car. I don't for a second thing ALonso was swayed to sign for Mclaren as much as he was pushed out the door at Ferrari. I'm intelligent but it really doesn't take a genius to know the chances Mclaren had of a fantastic car this or next year.

PlatinumZealot

@Drunken fan. Sober up. Honda design is miles away from Ferrari. 8)

Wazari wrote:I have some insight to Honda Racing that some people may not have and I can tell you that Honda did not copy Ferrari's 2014 design. They are miles apart. I am biased towards Honda for many reasons and probably not totally objective in my views but the shortfall of Honda's PU IMO is mostly to blame on Honda's executives and McLaren. Honda should have put their foot down and insisted to wait until 2016. I'm sure there were pressures and compromises made between Ron Dennis and Ito. (I personally do not care for either of them. Yes I have met them both.) Also IMO this "size O" concept is a mistake. I also know how arrogant Promoudou can be and how forceful he can be. Again I blame Honda for bowing down to try and rush and put together a "mini" package to fit the PU. Basic F1 design will tell you that you design the bodywork around the powertrain, not the other way around. This is so stupid, again IMO. If I were a betting man, I would bet that this "size 0" concept is scrapped for 2016. If it's not, then shame on Honda and McLaren both for sticking to a losing concept. This makes me angry and I'm sorry to vent...

Arai-san is a brilliant individual whom I am so sorry to see being used as a scapegoat. He doesn't deserve this. As far as someone asking him to apologize to Alonso and Button...I am at a total loss for words, but it's utter BS. This part of Formula 1, I don't miss.
Wazari, you speak the truth. The tubo-charge placement is very Ad-hoc on the engine. It is like a regular old engine with a small turbo chucked in between the banks.

There is no special provisions made into the block itself to house the turbo unlike Mercedes where you can see that the layout was decided from the very start.

Mercedes.. turbo well nested into the block.

Honda.. turbo chucked into place at the last minute.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Andres125sx

drunkf1fan wrote:As for Alonso following the same path of mistakes, he was shoved out of Ferrari when he overplayed his hand against a company he had publicly upset(with their boss calling out Alonso for comments he made in 2013). There is a reason he went to Mclaren when all signs pointed to a bad 2015, he had no other option left to him.

I can't believe a single experienced driver would believe a 18 month development cycle would magically bring about a competitive car. I don't for a second thing ALonso was swayed to sign for Mclaren as much as he was pushed out the door at Ferrari. I'm intelligent but it really doesn't take a genius to know the chances Mclaren had of a fantastic car this or next year.
And what were Ferrari chances of a fantastic car this season after his 4th place in the WCC past season?

Maybe someone at Ferrari was upset with Alonso, but not as much as Alonso was with Ferrari after 5 seasons with second class cars

j.yank
j.yank

drunkf1fan wrote:You don't really 'deploy' mgu-h, mgu-h is used primarily to harvest power to power the mgu-k. They don't have as much power for the mgu-k precisely because they haven't got nearly as much mgu-h harvesting as the other teams. This is directly from an underpowered turbo/mgu-h setup and is precisely the problem Ferrari had.

As for Alonso following the same path of mistakes, he was shoved out of Ferrari when he overplayed his hand against a company he had publicly upset(with their boss calling out Alonso for comments he made in 2013). There is a reason he went to Mclaren when all signs pointed to a bad 2015, he had no other option left to him.

MGU-H is used primarily as a wastegate of the turbine harvestings energy on the straights and deploying it to compressor on corners exits when the turbine is not spinning fast enough. If it harvest excessive energy this energy is passed to the ES or directly to MGU-K. Arai speaks that "MGU-H is applied more time on the straight" when actually MGU-H should harvesting, not deploying. The only reason for that is if MGU-K has not enough available energy harvested and stored in ES. The energy in ES is coming from MGU-K during the braking and from MGU-H on the straights. Now, if for some reason MGU-K is not harvesting enough energy this will leave a gap in ES that should be filled by MGU-H. This will affect the primarily purpose of MGU-H to assist the turbine on the corners exits. My guess is that because of this they can not deploy full 160 hp from ERS on the straights. As you see this explanation weights on a problem with MGU-K, not MGU-H. We should remember that the first major issue that they encountered in the preseason tests was the MGU-K seal.

About Alonso: both Luca di Montezemolo and James Allison confirmed that Alonso was first to approach them asking to leave Ferrari, and both of them had tried to convince him to stay. This doesn't fit with the version that Alonso was fired without options were to go except to MH.

WaikeCU

Can somebody shine some light why Mclaren went in on a Mclaren-Honda partnership? Why did they leave Mercedes-Benz? I don't think Mercedes-Benz were in fault for having bad results starting from when Hamilton left Mclaren. I seriously think that Mclaren were overconfident and just didn't deliver a decent chassis/car that suited the PU. I think much of that has to do with the Hamilton factor out there. I think he has a fair share in developing a car, in which he's exceptional. After he left, I think Mclaren struggled to find a similar character. Perez wasn't the answer and Magnussen was too inexperience perhaps. They had the best PU out there and yet the performance was poor for Mclaren standards. They took the risk of going long term with Honda and it turned out very sour with the Honda PU being the worst of the field. By he looks of it, they seem to have sorted out chassis issues. It seems a big improvement, but imagined they still had a Mercedes PU. I would expect them to be fighting with Williams and Force India, but instead they are now falling behind badly and that brings financial consequences.

Thunder

But fighting with Williams and Force India is EXACTLY what they did NOT want anymore. Look up what Massa and Ron Dennis said about the Merc Customer Engines. McLaren want to win Championships. This Year is extremely painful but at least they have the Tools to fight back to the Top with that Honda Works Deal. As a customer you will always be behind on the Engine department. It's a long Term Project, it took Merc 4 Years and an absurd amount of Money to get to where they are now.

In a way i am kind of glad Spa and Monza where such a slap in the Face, because hopefully the Guys at Mercedes and Ferrari are now like:
(Forget the nationalities involved in this Quote and Picture ;) )

I think IF Honda needed a reality Check, Wake up Call or whatever .... these last 2 Races served as exactly that.
Last edited by Thunder on 08 Sep 2015, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

superdowg316

WaikeCU wrote:Can somebody shine some light why Mclaren went in on a Mclaren-Honda partnership? Why did they leave Mercedes-Benz? I don't think Mercedes-Benz were in fault for having bad results starting from when Hamilton left Mclaren. I seriously think that Mclaren were overconfident and just didn't deliver a decent chassis/car that suited the PU. I think much of that has to do with the Hamilton factor out there. I think he has a fair share in developing a car, in which he's exceptional. After he left, I think Mclaren struggled to find a similar character. Perez wasn't the answer and Magnussen was too inexperience perhaps. They had the best PU out there and yet the performance was poor for Mclaren standards. They took the risk of going long term with Honda and it turned out very sour with the Honda PU being the worst of the field. By he looks of it, they seem to have sorted out chassis issues. It seems a big improvement, but imagined they still had a Mercedes PU. I would expect them to be fighting with Williams and Force India, but instead they are now falling behind badly and that brings financial consequences.
The same reason Red Bull don't want Renault to take over Lotus, especially more is Red Bull's case after what they have said in regards to the Renault power unit. In regards to why McLaren don't use Mercedes power anymore, once Mercedes bought Brawn, McLaren became the B team so to speak, because like most factory teams, they become the main priority. McLaren were better than Mercedes for their first three years of their existence as they built the team back up and now since 2013 Mercedes have been better, also contributing to their poor chassis design of that year. By being with Honda, yes, they can't fight for wins at the moment, but when (if) the Honda power unit finally produces the performance Dennis/Arai claim that it can produce, they can go nuts.

I think that's the story at least...
Friendship with Honda ended, Renault is my new (and more reliable) friend.