Mclaren Honda 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
nanocustic

Re: Mclaren Honda 2015

They don't look like a top team to me. Appalling.
I still think it all changed for Mclaren when Lewis left. Not sure if some engineers left to Merc as well, but since then they've been quite off.
And I'm not optimistic for 2016 as well :/ as it seems that the amount of tokens for the engine won't be enough. I don't doubt it will be better, but I don't think it will be competitive at all.
Meliora

diffuser

ME4ME wrote:Today's retirements seem to be fully Mclaren's responsibility as it was gearbox failures. Wasn't it the same in 2012 when Lewis retired in the race? Also poor pit performance. They just have so much to work on over the coming 6 months :(
WE don't know, it could have been a clutch problem and the clutch part of the Honda PU.

Not that who's fault matters.

diffuser

Fer.Fan wrote:
Yes, I agree. Mclaren chassis is better than Sauber and Mannor. Lotus chassis is better, look at standings.

Today in Singapore their ware way of pace. Mclaren was confident of good result because Marina Bay was no power track but they ware so slow. Mclaren chassis is no better than Honda PU.

It's hard to prove but I think The chassis is better than Lotus and Williams. I think those two's PUs are faltering their Chassis.

The aero is another story, I think Mclaren's aero is better than Lotus but not Williams.

So I think they're sitting 5th with regards to Aero/Chassis.

Regardless, a ton of work on both are needed.

Wazari

Difficult to say how good the chassis is. I haven't attended a race this year so I haven't been able to see the cars up close during a race. I would say McLaren's chassis (to me that includes suspension and aerodynamics) is probably mid-pack. I will be at Suzuka next weekend and hopefully I can get more insight on the whole car itself. I should be able to get into the paddock area; just depends on what credentials will be given to me on Friday.

Very rarely is gearbox problems related to clutch issues. Also clutches are not considered part of the PU. I believe there are two clutch manufacturers supplying clutches in F1 today; Sachs and AP. Clutches themselves typically do not fail but the electronics controlling the clutches are usually the culprit when the clutch fails to disengage or engage properly.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

Thunder

Overheating Gearbox on both Cars. I think that rules out the Clutch assembly. https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/645597040223875073 https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/645587688003870720 Anyways, sure the Chassis isn't on RB or Merc level in all aspects. In some Corners maybe but overall there is much Work to do. But this is only natural, PP didn't start at McLaren until last September when the development of the 4/30 was already in full swing. Also Fernando said that they now have about the same mileage on the Car that Mercedes had done at the Winter Tests. That's a HUGE deficit in development Time. My Guess is the Austria/GB Package would have been planned for Australia or the Spain GP at latest if Winter Testing would have been anything close to normal.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Abarth

Gearbox overheating not due to a single part failure, but on both cars seems like a massive failure to me.
I almost can't remember both cars of a team retiring because of the gearbox, let alone overheating....

Did Honda supply so much more power that the cooling system went into crisis? ;)

Sixbarboost
Sixbarboost

Abarth wrote:Gearbox overheating not due to a single part failure, but on both cars seems like a massive failure to me.
I almost can't remember both cars of a team retiring because of the gearbox, let alone overheating....

Did Honda supply so much more power that the cooling system went into crisis? ;)
I agree totally, that sounds more like a rather lame excuse, I have never heard about an overheated gearbox?

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

Ted Kravitz said on sky it was due to a change Mclaren made to the airbox.

proteus

Maybe Button retired because of gearbox problem and maybe not. Since the race was ruined, there was no reason to go to the end anyways (which i believe they would try to do it if he was on 8th,9th or 10th place), sparing the material for few laps of driving over the electromagnetic field under the bridge. I know i would call him in if i was a team principle.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

max_speed
max_speed

http://gptoday.com/details/view/539471/ ... it_F18242/

Sad but i think its the right decision by button and Alonso should follow him.i do not think he is going to be a world champion again.i won't be surprised to see Manor challenging Mclaren with Mercedes engine in the back and before such a day arrives would be great for Alonso to retire. his gamble to Mclaren failed big time and with no option in sight would be great to depart with reputation as one of the greatest driver of all time. Unlucky world champions :(

diffuser

max_speed wrote:http://gptoday.com/details/view/539471/ ... it_F18242/

Sad but i think its the right decision by button and Alonso should follow him.i do not think he is going to be a world champion again.i won't be surprised to see Manor challenging Mclaren with Mercedes engine in the back and before such a day arrives would be great for Alonso to retire. his gamble to Mclaren failed big time and with no option in sight would be great to depart with reputation as one of the greatest driver of all time. Unlucky world champions :(

Yeah, well Ferrari didn't think they could win 3 races this year! What people think and what happens are 2 different things.

Manor ? Really ...with the PU that Ferrari had last year, Fernado was anywhere from 5th to 15th. Manor Can NOT get out of Q3.

Although off to a poor start I don think it has failed yet.

That's the worst part of this year, the car has been so weak and unreliable we haven't been able to witness the Alonzo Magic.

diffuser

Thunders wrote: Anyways, sure the Chassis isn't on RB or Merc level in all aspects. In some Corners maybe but overall there is much Work to do. But this is only natural, PP didn't start at McLaren until last September when the development of the 4/30 was already in full swing. Also Fernando said that they now have about the same mileage on the Car that Mercedes had done at the Winter Tests. That's a HUGE deficit in development Time. My Guess is the Austria/GB Package would have been planned for Australia or the Spain GP at latest if Winter Testing would have been anything close to normal.

AGREEEEEEEEEED!
Please Read this before throwing stones!!!!!

bauc

The night is always darkest before the dawn.... We will win again. #BelieveInMclaren
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

diffuser

Wazari wrote:Difficult to say how good the chassis is. I haven't attended a race this year so I haven't been able to see the cars up close during a race. I would say McLaren's chassis (to me that includes suspension and aerodynamics) is probably mid-pack. I will be at Suzuka next weekend and hopefully I can get more insight on the whole car itself. I should be able to get into the paddock area; just depends on what credentials will be given to me on Friday.

Very rarely is gearbox problems related to clutch issues. Also clutches are not considered part of the PU. I believe there are two clutch manufacturers supplying clutches in F1 today; Sachs and AP. Clutches themselves typically do not fail but the electronics controlling the clutches are usually the culprit when the clutch fails to disengage or engage properly.
The early pictures of the Honda PU showed a clutch and Scarbs had said that Honda like to incorporate them into the PU, that's why I mentioned it.

Phil

what if it's still dusk? ....
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter