Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Wazari

Re: Honda Power Unit

godlameroso wrote:I'm sure Honda's turbos are manufactured exactly as Honda wants to the extent it might as well be in house. Furthermore, Honda has a lot of subsidiaries such as Kehin, Modulo, NOK, which although separate companies are essentially just an arm of Honda. I think their power unit is as 'in house' as Mercedes.

*I wonder who makes their battery pack, I want to say Panasonic but I doubt it.
Either A123Systems or Yuasa
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

mikeerfol

Wazari wrote:
godlameroso wrote:I'm sure Honda's turbos are manufactured exactly as Honda wants to the extent it might as well be in house. Furthermore, Honda has a lot of subsidiaries such as Kehin, Modulo, NOK, which although separate companies are essentially just an arm of Honda. I think their power unit is as 'in house' as Mercedes.

I guess Yuasa would make sense since they're working together in BTCC.

nevill3

ME4ME wrote:
nevill3 wrote:Don't forget the new Turbocharger will not use any tokens because of the new requirement to vent the wastegate flow through a separate exhaust pipe.
I strongly believe that to be incorrect. Turbocharger design changes will definitely cost tokens.
Not only the turbocharger but the energy recovery systems are token free upgrades this year

http://www.f1technical.net/news/20211
According to the letter Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault and Honda will be permitted to use 32 tokens insted of the planned 25 contingent. In the following years 20, 15 and 3 tokens will be at their disposal. That should open up possibilities for struggling engine manufacturers to close in on the field leading Mercedes.

On top of the tokens' quantity, FIA permits the teams to work on every part of the turbo and the hybrid system.
The only issue the teams have is the timescales required to maximise any advantage they could gain from this "token free" upgrade. The FIA only clarified the new rules in late December and the teams must have already planned a development route to maximise their token use for 2016.

I presume once the engines are homologated prior to the first race then this token free upgrade/change will be set in stone and any further changes would require the use of tokens. Has anybody seen the exact documentation regarding this change and does it stipulate a time frame? If no date is mentioned I can see a loophole ready to be exploited!!
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

hemichromis
hemichromis

If that's true its very interesting for Honda who seem to have a good ICE but need improvements to turbo and ers to progress.

Not so good for renault who's weakness seems to be the ICE

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

I'm fairly certain that isn't saying they are free from token costs. Year on year more parts are supposed to be frozen limiting what the tokens can be spent on. They are saying along with the increased tokens nothing within the hybrid/turbo is frozen so any part of it can be upgraded.

nevill3

After further research it seems that only Honda have a token free upgrade due to the design of their turbo casing being incompatible with the new wastegate regulations but it is only worth two tokens.

Re-reading the clarification letter linked to before allows the teams to work on items that I think were due to be "frozen" this year rather than giving the teams unlimited ability to make wholesale changes to their turbo and energy recovery systems token free.

I found a list on F1Fanatic detailing the previous proposal for freezing engine components and the compressor was on that list.
However for 2015 three items (with a total weighting of five tokens) are frozen in specification and cannot be modified. These are:

Upper/lower crankcase: Cylinder bore spacing, deck height and bank stagger
Crankshaft: Crank throw, main bearing journal diameter and rod bearing journal diameter
Air valve system: Including the compressor and air pressure regulation devices

The number of frozen items will increase again next year, stay the same in 2017, increase again the following year and significantly increase for 2019 and beyond. Therefore teams may wish to prioritise development on items which will be frozen in specification sooner rather than later.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Craigy

mikeerfol wrote:
Wazari wrote:

I guess Yuasa would make sense since they're working together in BTCC.
McLaren user A123 batteries on the P1. I wonder which part of the team handles it...

Wazari

The more I think about it, I'm going to guess it's the A123Systems that McLaren Honda is using. They have a patented nanophosphate design for their batteries that is more suited for the rapid recharging and high temperatures that they are exposed to. I would think McLaren would spec the battery to the supplier to fit their chassis. This is just a guess.

It is also my understanding that the first of the 2016 PU's are being mated to the MP4-31 chassis sometime this week.

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

Joseki
Joseki

Wazari wrote:It is also my understanding that the first of the 2016 PU's are being mated to the MP4-31 chassis sometime this week.
So they are going to test the new MP4-31 on a dyno?

hemichromis
hemichromis

I think the MP4-31 will break the dyno with all the power it will be producing!!!!

mclaren111

Careful now :D [-o<

GoranF1
GoranF1

Wazari wrote:
It is also my understanding that the first of the 2016 PU's are being mated to the MP4-31 chassis sometime this week.
Good news,and very smart choice of words! :wink: Did you "understand" anything else maybe?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Wazari

It has been my experience that whenever you mate a new PU to a chassis there are always unanticipated issues. Plumbing, electrical connections, other problems always seem to pop up. I would assume they will be testing the new chassis/PU combination on the dyno soon.

I haven't understood anything else as of now.

-- Honda Soichiro

FW17

Wazari wrote: I would assume they will be testing the new chassis/PU combination on the dyno soon.

Where would that be?

PlatinumZealot

GoranF1 wrote:The fact that of current manufactures Mercedes is the only one that builds their TC in-house, is probably a very big advantage for the Germans in this new engine regulations.
The overall turbo design could be in collaboration with Borgwarner though... It just smells of Borg warner - they have been known to try really unusual designs.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028