Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Honda Power Unit

nevill3 wrote:After further research it seems that only Honda have a token free upgrade due to the design of their turbo casing being incompatible with the new wastegate regulations but it is only worth two tokens.
Why do you say that? heir turbo casing is very compatible with the new regs.. You only need two elbows and a bit of pipe to make honda's current design work. The housing is separate from the wastegates.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

hemichromis
hemichromis

Because the wastegate pipe in the Honda is part of the turbine casing.
Other teams have it in the exhaust.

I think it was Scarbs who first revealed this
Maybe you can find his tweet.

godlameroso

Wait, did Honda actually try to make turbine with an internal wastegate?
Saishū kōnā

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Wazari wrote:It has been my experience that whenever you mate a new PU to a chassis there are always unanticipated issues. Plumbing, electrical connections, other problems always seem to pop up. I would assume they will be testing the new chassis/PU combination on the dyno soon.

I haven't understood anything else as of now.
Sounds like McLaren have got the MP4-31 on schedule (thanks to the Christmas work schedule), so it's reasonable to assume that Honda and McLaren will be installing the new PU soon to iron out the inevitable issues you get when fitting new parts together in the next couple of weeks.
FW17 wrote:
Wazari wrote: I would assume they will be testing the new chassis/PU combination on the dyno soon.

Where would that be?
Possibly at Honda's Milton Keynes base ? Of course there is the possibility (pure guesswork on my part, no evidence) that McLaren has it's own dyno's at the MTC for it's road car division but being McLaren they will be state of the art dyno's more than capable of testing the MP4-31/Honda PU generating the required data.

Then there will be the 100km filming days (unless the rules have changed and I didn't notice) as a shakedown run before the first test of the winter. Eagle eyes on Silverstone I guess.

mclaren111

Does anyone know if the Honda PU has variable intake trumpets ??

I see Ferrari is going to use it this year.
Last year, Ferrari has its compressor and intercooler between the cylinder banks – but these are now set to be moved to make way for the variable intake trumpets. There will also be bigger air and water intercoolers than last year.

Thank You.

Craigy

taperoo2k wrote:
Wazari wrote:It has been my experience that whenever you mate a new PU to a chassis there are always unanticipated issues. Plumbing, electrical connections, other problems always seem to pop up. I would assume they will be testing the new chassis/PU combination on the dyno soon.

I haven't understood anything else as of now.
Sounds like McLaren have got the MP4-31 on schedule (thanks to the Christmas work schedule), so it's reasonable to assume that Honda and McLaren will be installing the new PU soon to iron out the inevitable issues you get when fitting new parts together in the next couple of weeks.
FW17 wrote:
Wazari wrote: I would assume they will be testing the new chassis/PU combination on the dyno soon.

Where would that be?
Possibly at Honda's Milton Keynes base ? Of course there is the possibility (pure guesswork on my part, no evidence) that McLaren has it's own dyno's at the MTC for it's road car division but being McLaren they will be state of the art dyno's more than capable of testing the MP4-31/Honda PU generating the required data.

Then there will be the 100km filming days (unless the rules have changed and I didn't notice) as a shakedown run before the first test of the winter. Eagle eyes on Silverstone I guess.
I live about 5 minutes from Honda in MK. I've never been in it, but I have walked around it and I think that building seems to me to be just a logistics base - it's too small for other things and much too small for development.
Honda have apparently bought more land across the road from their existing site (the new plot is about the same size as the existing one, so I expect an additional building rather than a replacement building -- and nothing has been built yet).
I think all the dyno development stuff must be in Japan if Honda is doing it on honda premises rather than in a McLaren facility.

Thinking about it, there can't be any dynos in there. There aren't exhaust stacks on the building.

bigblue

mclaren111 wrote:Does anyone know if the Honda PU has variable intake trumpets ??
With the top of the plenum off we can see that the upper section of the variable inlet trumpets are bent over 90 degree's (only marked the rearward one, in green to retain clarity on each trumpet), maximising flow conditions, whilst saving space. - See more at: http://www.somersf1.co.uk/2015/04/mclar ... clAig.dpuf

PlatinumZealot

hemichromis wrote:Because the wastegate pipe in the Honda is part of the turbine casing.

I see the photos.. but I assumed it was a separate peice. Maybe it is not.
If it is indeed one peice then they are semi-internal wastegates.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

toxicsunsets1
toxicsunsets1

PlatinumZealot wrote:
hemichromis wrote:Because the wastegate pipe in the Honda is part of the turbine casing.

I see the photos.. but I assumed it was a separate peice. Maybe it is not.
If it is indeed one peice then they are semi-internal wastegates.

http://serakota.c.blog.so-net.ne.jp/_im ... jpg?c=a288
according to my knowledge in reading japanese, the lower portion is the "waste gate actuator" (ウェストゲートアクチュエータ)

hemichromis
hemichromis

GoranF1
GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

hemichromis
hemichromis

GoranF1 wrote:Williams is considering Honda PU

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/formel-1 ... 52807.html

Not if you read it!

It's all based on Hill's comment.

PlatinumZealot

yes that is better angle. A small peice of the casting is vissible. So Honda can modify that part of the housing for free at least. It is still not clear if they can get away with redesigning the entire scroll though. It all depends on FIA intentions.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

diffuser

For what it's worth ... http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/73793/ ... crash-test

omnicourse are saying (in the same breath that the Mp4-31 passed the crashed test) that the new PU isn't thrilling on the bench tests.

Which reminds me what I dislike most about F1 reporting. It tends to use wording that shocks but really say nothing.

" the focus of the new chief designer Japanese would be aimed at 2017, in the knowledge that you will not close the gap power with the Mercedes, although significant improvements are expected before the season starts in Melbourne."

I think their choice of term "chiudere il gap" is really poor. Last year, I'm just throwing a number out there, the Honda PU had 80% of the ability of the Merc PU. I expect a huge improvement this year (to about 95%) . I don't think anybody out there expects the Honda PU to match Merc at the beginning of this year.

bauc

diffuser wrote:For what it's worth ... http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/73793/ ... crash-test

omnicourse are saying (in the same breath that the Mp4-31 passed the crashed test) that the new PU isn't thrilling on the bench tests.

Which reminds me what I dislike most about F1 reporting. It tends to use wording that shocks but really say nothing.

" the focus of the new chief designer Japanese would be aimed at 2017, in the knowledge that you will not close the gap power with the Mercedes, although significant improvements are expected before the season starts in Melbourne."

I think their choice of term "chiudere il gap" is really poor. Last year, I'm just throwing a number out there, the Honda PU had 80% of the ability of the Merc PU. I expect a huge improvement this year (to about 95%) . I don't think anybody out there expects the Honda PU to match Merc at the beginning of this year.
OT -
Omnicourse staff still think this is the ''cold war'' era between Mclaren & Ferrari and they always give pessimistic opinions for Mclaren.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg