Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
FW17

Re: Honda Power Unit

Toyota is not only the world's largest carmaker, it also develops and manufacturers semiconductor for its captive market. Now the company succeeded in reducing the fuel consumption of hybrid electric vehicles by 10 percent - by deploying home-grown SiC transistors in the Power Control Unit (PCU).

Abarth

Mr.G wrote:If so, they have space for improvement... SiC are better...
SiC is the technology, there are SiC BJT's, JFET's and MOSFETS available, and even IGBT's for very high voltages, AFAIR.
Anyway, SiC MOSFET's are replacing Si IGBT's, so I think you are absolutely correct.

PlatinumZealot

gruntguru wrote:No - it will be a three phase motor. 1 wire per phase - no neutral or earth.
Typical three phase motors have a fourth wire for earth. Otherwise they will be earthed to the ground.
In the case of F1 cars the engine will be the earth that the housing of the MGUH is bolted to. So the engine block acts as the "fourth cable."
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Del Boy wrote:
Mr.G wrote:Doesn't they use super-capacitors instead of batteries.
I thought super capacitors were ten times the size of equivalent batts and although would solve charging cycle discharging problems, would create a packaging problem?
They'd have to find a way of shrinking them down to fit within an F1 car and ensure the changes are safe. However it's a moot point as the regulations stipulate the energy store be made up of batteries from what I recall, not read the rules in a while. So I could be wrong. I do expect that they will eventually use super capcitors in F1. Unless Graphene proves to be a wonder material then we will see rapid advances in electronics and battery technology. I suspect F1 will be an ideal test bed for graphene based technology due to the extreme environment in an F1 car.

Joseki
Joseki

They are already on the backfoot compared to Mercedes and Ferrari, Mercedes and Williams ran 200 km today, Ferrari and Haas will ran 200 km too on Sunday. I expected them to run at least one filming day before Monday since they have just eight testing days and just one car on track compared to the 4 of Mercedes, 3 of Ferrari and 2 of Renault. :|

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Im not worrying about if they are behind or now, i just hope they get a good reliable first day on Monday.

Williams got 100Km at Barcelona today, Mercedes got 100Km today at Silverstone International layout today as well. Haas and Ferrari are to get the same in on Sunday at Barcelona. Not sure if there is to be a Renault/Red Bull day tomorrow as i heard was to be expected.

I just hope that in this season Honda can come out and be up there with them in Silver and Red as if the rumours I've heard in this past week, the white and blue brigade are to come back into F1 by going back to Hinwi again for a run at F1. And that if true, F1 will be one hell of a place if they come in with a healthy budget and a healthy and powerful engine F1 will be again one hell of a close again.

asinghkakar
asinghkakar

Just saw the Mclaren website, it says that the honda turbo spins at 125,000 rpm. I thought that the limit on turbo rpm was 120k!

Per
Per

There is no limit on turbo rpm in the rules. There is a limit of 125k on the MGU-H but it may use a geared transmission to the turbine. So theoretically you could have the turbo spinning above 125k.

Del Boy
Del Boy

taperoo2k wrote:
Del Boy wrote:
I thought super capacitors were ten times the size of equivalent batts and although would solve charging cycle discharging problems, would create a packaging problem?
They'd have to find a way of shrinking them down to fit within an F1 car and ensure the changes are safe. However it's a moot point as the regulations stipulate the energy store be made up of batteries from what I recall, not read the rules in a while. So I could be wrong. I do expect that they will eventually use super capcitors in F1. Unless Graphene proves to be a wonder material then we will see rapid advances in electronics and battery technology. I suspect F1 will be an ideal test bed for graphene based technology due to the extreme environment in an F1 car.
Graphene Li-Po batteries already commercially available with massive C ratings to R/C world! About 30 volts and only 10 a/h but 180C! Using Li-Co polymer technology No where near F1 voltage/amp draw but probably possible.

godlameroso

That's very interesting, there's a lot of untapped technology in developing better batteries. To be honest material science in anode and cathode development is just starting to take off with various things that look promising but still to far away to be implemented at any serious level. That said we've made many advancements within the last 3 or 4 years in this field. Some people are of the opinion that silicone is a better material than graphite for instance.
Saishū kōnā

ringo

Abarth wrote:
Mr.G wrote:If so, they have space for improvement... SiC are better...
SiC is the technology, there are SiC BJT's, JFET's and MOSFETS available, and even IGBT's for very high voltages, AFAIR.
Anyway, SiC MOSFET's are replacing Si IGBT's, so I think you are absolutely correct.
What i do know about DC vs AC motors, the AC are much more reliable. I've been in the electric industrial vehicle industry for a short time. Everyone is going to AC motors now, moving away from DC because of reliability; especially vehicles that a regenerative braking that run a continuous shift non stop.
I think using as high a voltage as possible would be ideal; especially with a 160hp motor. If i had a choice i would use 2300V system. :mrgreen:
For Sure!!

ME4ME

Joseki wrote:They are already on the backfoot compared to Mercedes and Ferrari, Mercedes and Williams ran 200 km today, Ferrari and Haas will ran 200 km too on Sunday. I expected them to run at least one filming day before Monday since they have just eight testing days and just one car on track compared to the 4 of Mercedes, 3 of Ferrari and 2 of Renault. :|
You make a good point. However great Honda are, they need as much track data as possible. Inevitably the lack of mileage will hurt their development rate. For the very same reason, Renault need Red Bull and vice versa.

wuzak
wuzak

taperoo2k wrote:
Del Boy wrote:
The rules do not require batteries for the energy store.

The limits are 4MJ capacity (maximum -minus minimum charge) and 20-25kg weight.

gruntguru
gruntguru

PlatinumZealot wrote:
gruntguru wrote:No - it will be a three phase motor. 1 wire per phase - no neutral or earth.
Typical three phase motors have a fourth wire for earth. Otherwise they will be earthed to the ground.
In the case of F1 cars the engine will be the earth that the housing of the MGUH is bolted to. So the engine block acts as the "fourth cable."
There is no necessity for a fourth wire except possibly for safety - to maintain the case at a similar potential to the vehicle frame. This would be a nominal gauge connection - nothing like the 3 monster cables carrying the current to/from the MGU. There certainly doesn't need to be a "return" connection to the inverter.
je suis charlie

damager21
damager21

After reading following:
From an early base of around 750hp, the hybrids have made rapid progress. They may now be the most powerful (mainstream race) engines in the history of F1, surpassing the 930hp produced at the end of the V10 era, constantly developing through fuel research, better control of the ERS, improving understanding of the V6 combustion cycle and strong focuses on reducing losses through friction and from the high-power electrical system.

125 years’ petrol car development saw thermal efficiency rise from around 17 per cent to the mid-25s, with 2013’s F1 V8’s delivering an impressive 29 per cent. The ambition for F1’s new hybrids was to reach 40 per cent. They’ve massively overachieved, reaching over 45 per cent today with 50 per cent the next milestone
I wonder if these numbers are achieved by Honda or is McLaren just copy pasting numbers shared by Mercedes recently.