Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Andres125sx

Re: Honda Power Unit

Del Boy wrote:
taperoo2k wrote:
Del Boy wrote: I thought super capacitors were ten times the size of equivalent batts and although would solve charging cycle discharging problems, would create a packaging problem?
They'd have to find a way of shrinking them down to fit within an F1 car and ensure the changes are safe. However it's a moot point as the regulations stipulate the energy store be made up of batteries from what I recall, not read the rules in a while. So I could be wrong. I do expect that they will eventually use super capcitors in F1. Unless Graphene proves to be a wonder material then we will see rapid advances in electronics and battery technology. I suspect F1 will be an ideal test bed for graphene based technology due to the extreme environment in an F1 car.
Graphene Li-Po batteries already commercially available with massive C ratings to R/C world! About 30 volts and only 10 a/h but 180C! Using Li-Co polymer technology No where near F1 voltage/amp draw but probably possible.
Turnigy has launched Graphene batteries recently

there´s a thread on RCGroups with beta testers explaining their perfomance, but if you´re interested be warned, it gets around 60-90 replies daily :o

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2592234

As a summary:

- Nobody believes they are true Graphene batteries, but they must have used it as some sort of coating

- Energy density has not improved, actually they weight a little bit more than traditional LiPo batteries

- The first noticeable improvement is voltage sag, wich is pretty similar to LiPo HV batteries (4,35v/cell instead of 4,2), wich is surprising. They handle very high loads really well

- The second improvement is lifespan, one of the testers claim he´s using one for more than 900 cycles when traditional LiPo batteries only last around 300 cycles.

- One of the testers also tested charging one on them always at 10C rate (if you know something about Lipo batteries, that´s mindblowing as Lipo batteries can´t be charged faster than 1C, 2C if they´re high C rating, and some people charge at 3C at their own risk. 10C is unbelieveble, fully charged in 6 minutes in theory) and discharging at 28-30C constantly for the whole battery lifespan, and it´s performing same as the rest, no prefomance degradation noticed

- They also noticed the discharge curve is flatter, wich is good as there´s no perfomance decrease when the battery is half discharged, but has the problem (for rc planes) of you must be alert and use reliable monitoring, because when the voltage finally drops at the end of the charge, there´s no time to land.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

I guess those batteries might have graphene in them or at least a nanotube type material.
From what I've read recently scientists are still trying to make Graphene production cost effective. Until that happens I doubt we'll see Honda or any other manufacturers using it outside of a R&D lab. As far as F1 goes ? I think nanotube materials are currently banned. But it has interesting applications for F1 in the future, I think there's even a possibility you could use it to coat surfaces as it's only 1 atom thick and is reportedly 25 times stronger than steel.

Anyway my main hope for testing on Monday is that Honda and McLaren get to run the car for most of the day out on track and don't spend all day in the garage with the shutters down. Kind of bored of the gloom and doom merchants in the press focusing on the failures rather than what a monumental challenge these power units are to get right.

PlatinumZealot

Andres125sx wrote:
Del Boy wrote:
taperoo2k wrote:
They'd have to find a way of shrinking them down to fit within an F1 car and ensure the changes are safe. However it's a moot point as the regulations stipulate the energy store be made up of batteries from what I recall, not read the rules in a while. So I could be wrong. I do expect that they will eventually use super capcitors in F1. Unless Graphene proves to be a wonder material then we will see rapid advances in electronics and battery technology. I suspect F1 will be an ideal test bed for graphene based technology due to the extreme environment in an F1 car.
Graphene Li-Po batteries already commercially available with massive C ratings to R/C world! About 30 volts and only 10 a/h but 180C! Using Li-Co polymer technology No where near F1 voltage/amp draw but probably possible.
Turnigy has launched Graphene batteries recently

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attac ... aphene.jpg

there´s a thread on RCGroups with beta testers explaining their perfomance, but if you´re interested be warned, it gets around 60-90 replies daily :o

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2592234

As a summary:

- Nobody believes they are true Graphene batteries, but they must have used it as some sort of coating

- Energy density has not improved, actually they weight a little bit more than traditional LiPo batteries

- The first noticeable improvement is voltage sag, wich is pretty similar to LiPo HV batteries (4,35v/cell instead of 4,2), wich is surprising. They handle very high loads really well

- The second improvement is lifespan, one of the testers claim he´s using one for more than 900 cycles when traditional LiPo batteries only last around 300 cycles.

- One of the testers also tested charging one on them always at 10C rate (if you know something about Lipo batteries, that´s mindblowing as Lipo batteries can´t be charged faster than 1C, 2C if they´re high C rating, and some people charge at 3C at their own risk. 10C is unbelieveble, fully charged in 6 minutes in theory) and discharging at 28-30C constantly for the whole battery lifespan, and it´s performing same as the rest, no prefomance degradation noticed

- They also noticed the discharge curve is flatter, wich is good as there´s no perfomance decrease when the battery is half discharged, but has the problem (for rc planes) of you must be alert and use reliable monitoring, because when the voltage finally drops at the end of the charge, there´s no time to land.
Great post. Good info there for those of us not in the know.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

godlameroso

Silicon seems promising, for one silicon can bond to more lithium ions per molecule than graphite can. Where graphite takes about 4 carbon atoms to bond to one lithium ion, one silicon atom can bond to 4 lithium ions. Like I said this research is still new, but it seems very promising.

* http://www.gizmag.com/silicon-anode-per ... ies/40058/

Here's something more recent on the subject

http://www.gizmag.com/graphene-cages-si ... ies/41583/
Last edited by godlameroso on 20 Feb 2016, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

damager21 wrote:After reading following:
..... 125 years’ petrol car development saw thermal efficiency rise from around 17 per cent to the mid-25s, with 2013’s F1 V8’s delivering an impressive 29 per cent. The ambition for F1’s new hybrids was to reach 40 per cent. They’ve massively overachieved, reaching over 45 per cent today with 50 per cent the next milestone
I wonder if these numbers are achieved by Honda or is McLaren just copy pasting numbers shared by Mercedes recently.
Mercedes numbers of course, with their usual promotion of a cosy but false history
Ferrari recently gave 32% for V8 F1
(the FIA having for 97 years asked GP cars for volumetric efficiency, not fuel efficiency)

the current F1 engines are one kind of more-complete-expansion engine (with a precedent of 16000 compounded aircraft engines)
other (VVT-enabled) kinds are the Prius and its emulators, with ICE efficiencies approaching and now exceeding 40%
and the patented Honda 'more-expansion' crankshaft kind
these other kinds are mysteriously banned from F1

btw I thank the recent posters, informative on MG and drive types and efficiencies/capabilities
the world is now being changed by developments in power electronics (that EVs have been waiting for since 1880)

gruntguru
gruntguru

Andres125sx wrote:
Del Boy wrote: Graphene Li-Po batteries already commercially available with massive C ratings to R/C world! About 30 volts and only 10 a/h but 180C! Using Li-Co polymer technology No where near F1 voltage/amp draw but probably possible.
Turnigy has launched Graphene batteries recently there´s a thread on RCGroups with beta testers explaining their perfomance, but if you´re interested be warned, it gets around 60-90 replies daily :o

As a summary:
180C is an interesting number. It has been surmised that an F1 PU in "balls out" mode may discharge the battery at up to 200kW which is 180C for a 4MJ battery (4MJ/0.2MW = 20 sec = 1/180 hr => 180C)

Recharging rate is at least 120 kW which is 108C.

Of course the actual battery capacity is probably more than 4 MJ. The rules only limit the range of charge state to 4MJ.
je suis charlie

Joseki
Joseki

https://twitter.com/LaCasaDeMcLaren/sta ... 7918098432 Alonso to McLaren: "I will not run the engine 2015. want to make a fool" Google Translate.

nevill3

From the McLaren Website specs for the battery say it is Lithium-Ion battery
Energy Recovery System

Architecture Integrated Hybrid energy recovery via Motor Generator Units
Crankshaft coupled electrical MGU-K
Turbocharger coupled electrical MGU-H
Energy Store Lithium-Ion battery, between 20 and 25 kg
Maximum energy storage, 4 MJ per lap
MGU-K Maximum speed, 50,000 rpm
Maximum power, 120 kW
Maximum energy recovery, 2 MJ per lap
Maximum energy deployment, 4 MJ per lap
MGU-H Maximum speed 125,000 rpm
Maximum power, unlimited
Maximum energy recovery, unlimited
Maximum energy deployment, unlimited
http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/car/mp4 ... ification/
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

namao
namao

https://twitter.com/parisianskies/statu ... 1973665792 Confirmed: Honda PU has kept that crackling noise when they downshift #-o

willmesquita

TED KRAVITZ (SKYF1)
< La mayoría de fabricantes están aquí con los motores definitivos... NO es el caso de Honda...>
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

namao
namao

Ted Kravitz has made his way from the pit lane with a story for all you McLaren fans about their partner Honda's progress:

"While most engine manufacturers are here with their bespoke 2016 engine, with which they intend to do the first few races, that's not the case for Honda.

"The power unit in the back of Button and Alonso's car at this test is effectively a mark I 2016 engine incorporating most of the changes Honda knew they needed to make over the winter.

"There will be another new engine, mark II, which will debut for the second test next week and the result of what they learn between the two specs of power unit will be combined into mark III, that they'll take to race in Melbourne.

"So if it doesn't look brilliant for McLaren early on, don't worry, better engine bits are on the way."

Joseki
Joseki

Maybe Wazari can clear this Mark I - II - III mess for us. :mrgreen:

vantage87
vantage87

McLaren regaining confidence in Barcelona F1 test, Boullier says

http://beta.autosport.com/news/report.p ... ce-in-test
Asked if McLaren's confidence had been restored, Boullier replied: "Yes. All the numbers we've found on the car are correlating with what expected, and if you base your winter work and expectations on simulations it's a good sign.
"It means our tools are working properly, so that means we know the car is better than last year."
When asked to give his initial feedback on the 2016 Honda engine, Boullier replied: "I'm not going to say anything about the engine except it was running this morning, so it's good. "I think there have been some good improvements on [Honda's] side.
"Clearly they are on the right path. They have fixed a few issues that were hurting us last year, so it's good so far."

PlatinumZealot

Boullier is not smiling about the engine.. yet. fingers crossed.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

damager21
damager21

https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/stat ... 1919201281 There is still a speed deficit. If they are running a detuned engine this week, this gap should be fine.

From 2015 Spanish grand prix comparing best sector speed (kph) with that of best McLaren
Sector 1
Raikkonen 270.4
Button 259.7

Sector 2
Hamilton 270.1
Button 250.4

Sector 3
Raikkonen 282.3
Button 273.6
Last edited by damager21 on 22 Feb 2016, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.