Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
ringo

Re: Ferrari Power Unit

ME4ME wrote:I think the reason for moving the MGU-K is more likely aerodynamics than weight distribution. They probably want to tighten up the rear "coke bottle" shape even further. Additionally there might be a slight weight saving and efficientcy increase from shortening power cords.
More room for cooling flow too.
For Sure!!

chip engineer
chip engineer

ringo wrote:
ME4ME wrote:I think the reason for moving the MGU-K is more likely aerodynamics than weight distribution. They probably want to tighten up the rear "coke bottle" shape even further. Additionally there might be a slight weight saving and efficientcy increase from shortening power cords.
More room for cooling flow too.
But putting the MGU-K on the side of the engine with its shaft going to the rear should have almost identical length of power wiring as the shaft going forward. Also, its not clear why cooling flow would be better.
Aerodynamics may be the reason, but even that seems marginal. The MGU-K itself would be in about the same place either way; only the gearing to the crank (which should be small) is located in a very different position.

ringo

You have a greater cross section in the back for flow going through the car if the MGUK is moved ahead.
The engine cover is smaller as you go to the back, so getting the MGUK out of that region should free up space for air flow.
For Sure!!

PlatinumZealot

You guys have it wrong. The mguk is moved CLOSER to the gas tank end of the engine but just like mercedes honda and renault it has its own little driveshaft that delivers power to a small set of gears to the mating end of the cranshaft.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

godlameroso

Do you suppose any team takes advantage of the full 3.33:1 ratio they can use to gear the MGU-K to the crank? Also is the 200nm of tq the MGU-K is allowed to deliver measured at the crank or just the MGU itself?
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

Well 200nm is a decent amount. More than most street cars. Lets work it out withought going into any complicated motor theory...

F1 engines idle at around 4k rpm.
Lowest shifting range during a race is about 7k rpm
High shift is about 12k rpm

At 120 kw regulted mguk power delivery best case, the torques at those rpm would be: 286 Nm, 163 Nm and 95 Nm.

These torques are within close range of the regulated 200 Nm. Therefore we can conclude that the torque added by the mguk is checked at the crankshaft of the engine.

This leads me to believe that the teams are free to use whatever gearing they need as long as they don't exceed the 200 Nm (or the mguk rpm limit). Actually, having thought about it some more, it would be advantageous to have the mguk rotate as fast as possible as this reduces the size of the gearing and also reduces the size of magnets (or field coils as the case may be), it reduces torque at the motor and also the inertia of the motor.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Mark4211

Guys, what's that rough/blown exhaust-ish sound on braking with the Haas 20 seconds & 2 minutes into this video:
https://www.facebook.com/grosjeanromain ... 237428048/

pgfpro

Mark4211 wrote:Guys, what's that rough/blown exhaust-ish sound on braking with the Haas 20 seconds & 2 minutes into this video:
Sounds like waste gates open to atm then closing.
building the perfect beast

Blackout

Image :-k A much bigger inlet plenum?

wuzak
wuzak

pgfpro wrote:
Mark4211 wrote:Guys, what's that rough/blown exhaust-ish sound on braking with the Haas 20 seconds & 2 minutes into this video:
Sounds like waste gates open to atm then closing.
Surely it is cylinder deactivation?

OO7
OO7

I wonder what sort of variable inlet design Ferrari have adopted, as it seems to be far more compact than Mercedes' effort.

mkable1370
mkable1370

Granted, lap times from day 1 of testing probably mean nothing, but I'm still mildly entertained by seeing the Toro Rosso with the 2015 Ferrari engine having posted the second fastest time for a Ferrari powered car... Possibly says more about Sauber and Haas than anything else. :roll:

hurril
hurril

This new unit has an awesome sound!

wuzak
wuzak

mkable1370 wrote:Granted, lap times from day 1 of testing probably mean nothing, but I'm still mildly entertained by seeing the Toro Rosso with the 2015 Ferrari engine having posted the second fastest time for a Ferrari powered car... Possibly says more about Sauber and Haas than anything else. :roll:

http://i.imgur.com/XpRYV80.png
Sauber are running a 2015 power unit and car.

Haas had to run at restricted speeds on the straights because of a front wing failure early in the day.

So it is fair to say that it is not truly reflective of their relative positions.

That said, I think the STR has more to come as well.

ferkan
ferkan