Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
GoranF1
GoranF1

Re: Honda Power Unit

Anyone have access to autosport premium?
http://beta.autosport.com/premium/featu ... snt-enough
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Wazari

Yoshi, yoshi, I am apologizing in advance if I don't answer your PM promptly. I had no idea my inbox would get flooded like this. I know I said I would not post anymore but I think I owe some people an apology in advance. Thanks everyone for your kind words. It is the internet and for those of you who somehow figured out my name and work history, I hope you honor my privacy on a public forum and I trust the moderators will do so too, so thank you in advance.

I just want to clarify a few things. I did not get into trouble for posting here. My health is fine. There are currently people at Honda Racing that are older than me. I am just going to be extremely busy over the next 9 months which will severely hamper my golf game (it was already bad enough) and one of my true passions, fly-fishing. However, we only live once and a man has to do what he has to do.

So again, for those who PM'd me worrying about myself getting in trouble or having health issues, neither is the case and thank you very much for your concern.

PS: I wouldn't focus too much on lap times right now. It's just day two of the first session. The true test will be FP1 at Melbourne.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

bigblue

Wazari wrote:one of my true passions, fly-fishing
He's obviously Ross Brawn, under deep cover. Best of luck Wazari.

Mclaren
Mclaren

I used to come to this forum just to see Warzari's posts, and updates on the Mclaren Honda engine. I've always looked forward to him posting his updates. I used to feel hugely motivated and reassured after reading his posts - even after the situation Mclaren Honda found themselves in.

I have made an account just to ask you this question: Could you please just clarify whether you will be completely leaving this forum or whether you will just not be as active as you used to be?

Finally, I would just like to thank you Wazari for all you contributions and your posts, they have been a much valued resource for me, and I will greatly miss them. However, I would also like to wish you all the best in your future, whatever you are doing. Goodbye.

Mclaren Honda, GAMBARE!!!!!

wuzak
wuzak

GoranF1 wrote:Anyone have access to autosport premium?
http://beta.autosport.com/premium/featu ... snt-enough
It says to not expect miracles.

The ERS has been improved, but not enough.
Certainly not the transformation Ferrari had from 2014->2015.
The development direction for the PU has been set for 2016 by Arai.
There will be a slight pause in the changeover from Arai to Hasegawa - but don't expect results before mid season.
Hasegawa will concentrate solely on F1. He will have no other distractions. This is a sign of Honda's commitment to the project.

Boullier says that the McLaren chassis is meeting its targets but the Honda PU is not.

Webber2011
Webber2011

hemichromis wrote:I heard Wazari is coming out of retirement to take over the project.....
I'm not sure what you mean there, but it sounds quite disrespectful considering Wazari's knowledge.
I could be totally wrong, and I'm sorry if I did indeed read it the wrong way, but Wazari contributes slightly more to the forum than you ever have.

Scorpaguy

Boullier says that the McLaren chassis is meeting its targets but the Honda PU is not.
I believe it is time we drop the word "power" from this particular forum's title :roll:

ringo

wuzak wrote:

Any quotes?
For Sure!!

aterren
aterren

Wazari wrote:I am just going to be extremely busy over the next 9 months which will severely hamper my golf game (it was already bad enough) and one of my true passions, fly-fishing. However, we only live once and a man has to do what he has to do..
The F1 season ends in 9 months. I hope what ever keeps Wazari San busy is a very enjoyable experience.

wuzak
wuzak

ringo wrote:
wuzak wrote:

Any quotes?
Boullier:
"As far as I'm concerned, I'm in charge of the chassis part, and drivers - on this part we are trying to be on target," he said. "As far as the engine part is concerned, you need to ask Honda.

"We will win when we have the best drivers, the best chassis, the best team, the best car, and the best engine."

Button:
"[On] deployment we've made a good step forward, but with the power unit we've a lot of work still," he said. "They [Honda] have done a good job on reliability and pushing the deployment very hard over the winter, but I don't think any of us will be happy going to Melbourne with the power unit."

Arai:
"We did as much [as we could] quickly last year, but it was not enough," Arai says. "In Japanese corporate culture, you learn and you are groomed within the company, so they tend to move you around different departments without explanation. We don't really question it. That may be a big difference in culture [to Europe].

"The strengthening of Honda's F1 project in total is just more commitment from Honda. It's good timing. Hasegawa-san will take over my role and he will accelerate. I trust his acceleration. [He is] maybe more competitive and faster than me!"

Hasegawa:
"Arai-san has already made the decision for this year of update plans for the engine," explains Hasegawa. "At this moment I just have to follow his plan.

"Maybe sooner or later I can put some of my ideas, but at this moment I have to follow through on his plan, for the next couple of months."

hemichromis
hemichromis

Webber2011 wrote:
hemichromis wrote:I heard Wazari is coming out of retirement to take over the project.....
I'm not sure what you mean there, but it sounds quite disrespectful considering Wazari's knowledge.
I could be totally wrong, and I'm sorry if I did indeed read it the wrong way, but Wazari contributes slightly more to the forum than you ever have.
I only meant it as a tease, Wazari said that the 'geriatric crew' was one of teams working on the power unit. I have heard elsewhere that this will be the mark 2 unit. He then says that he will be busy and will have to stop posting here, an obvious joke perhaps but that was all it was.

I am - to be honest - puzzled at how i offended you, I certainly hope i didn't offend Mr Wazari.

As to your second point i take exception only to the word 'slightly'!

Thunder

Thanks Wazari for your Contribution here. Was really refreshing to hear something directly from the source. =D>

Edit: Interview with Arai on that matter.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/analy ... up-675142/
Last edited by Thunder on 24 Feb 2016, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Mansell89
Mansell89

wuzak wrote:
ringo wrote:
wuzak wrote:

Any quotes?
Boullier:
"As far as I'm concerned, I'm in charge of the chassis part, and drivers - on this part we are trying to be on target," he said. "As far as the engine part is concerned, you need to ask Honda.

"We will win when we have the best drivers, the best chassis, the best team, the best car, and the best engine."

Button:
"[On] deployment we've made a good step forward, but with the power unit we've a lot of work still," he said. "They [Honda] have done a good job on reliability and pushing the deployment very hard over the winter, but I don't think any of us will be happy going to Melbourne with the power unit."

Arai:
"We did as much [as we could] quickly last year, but it was not enough," Arai says. "In Japanese corporate culture, you learn and you are groomed within the company, so they tend to move you around different departments without explanation. We don't really question it. That may be a big difference in culture [to Europe].

"The strengthening of Honda's F1 project in total is just more commitment from Honda. It's good timing. Hasegawa-san will take over my role and he will accelerate. I trust his acceleration. [He is] maybe more competitive and faster than me!"

Hasegawa:
"Arai-san has already made the decision for this year of update plans for the engine," explains Hasegawa. "At this moment I just have to follow his plan.

"Maybe sooner or later I can put some of my ideas, but at this moment I have to follow through on his plan, for the next couple of months."
Do you have that article available?

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

Thank you for your earlier post Wazari. I was pretty alarmed by the reference to a 'rogue unit' within Honda and that there seemed to be two separate (& opposed) factions within Honda. Your post reassures me.
Must say the engine they used on days 1 & 2 sounded very unconvincing - hope the next 3 sound more refined.

GoranF1
GoranF1

There will be no spec 2 or spec 3 before Melbourne...it is what it is!

"Actually the specification is the same. We have already fixed our specification. Of course we will test some of the parts now and next week but because the homologation is fixed at the end of February we can't expect a big update."

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/148 ... ances-2016

which is BTW a total contradictory to this quote from Nakamura, chief of Honda R&D Europe in Japan media.

We had certain issue(s) in certain part(s) around the inlet that we've been having for a while, but the components to rectify the issue could not be ready in time for this test, so we were running it knowing that we might be encountering trouble.
at the same time, we knew how to deal with the trouble if the expected trouble occurred indeed. Also after the trouble occurred, we wanted to gather as much mileage as possible even if scarifying the performance as a result, so we continued to run it by altering how to use it.
(on hearing JB's positive comment) Engineers at Sakura and Milton Kenyes staff worked so hard (smile). But still not enough for the target we aim at. We'd like to introduce revised/improved PU as soon as possible

http://as-web.jp/news/info.php?c_id=1&no=71176
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."