Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Postmoe

Re: Honda Power Unit

GoranF1 wrote:There will be no spec 2 or spec 3 before Melbourne...it is what it is!

"Actually the specification is the same. We have already fixed our specification. Of course we will test some of the parts now and next week but because the homologation is fixed at the end of February we can't expect a big update."

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/148 ... ances-2016

which is BTW a total contradictory to this quote from Nakamura, chief of Honda R&D Europe in Japan media.

We had certain issue(s) in certain part(s) around the inlet that we've been having for a while, but the components to rectify the issue could not be ready in time for this test, so we were running it knowing that we might be encountering trouble.
at the same time, we knew how to deal with the trouble if the expected trouble occurred indeed. Also after the trouble occurred, we wanted to gather as much mileage as possible even if scarifying the performance as a result, so we continued to run it by altering how to use it.
(on hearing JB's positive comment) Engineers at Sakura and Milton Kenyes staff worked so hard (smile). But still not enough for the target we aim at. We'd like to introduce revised/improved PU as soon as possible

http://as-web.jp/news/info.php?c_id=1&no=71176
Sio, if I understand it correctly, Mark II and III are not different layouts, but different materials used on the same homologation. Engine is de-tuned in the first tests with a 2015 mapping to avoid failures.

Way more logical, as it is more coherent with FIA rules. I think, in worst case scenario, they will sacrify some of their tokens updating to Mark III in exchange of full milleage in Barcelona.

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Indeed, that makes a lot more sense.

FrukostScones

I think Wazari told us all in his last post.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

wuzak
wuzak

Mansell89 wrote:
wuzak wrote:
ringo wrote:

Any quotes?
Boullier:
"As far as I'm concerned, I'm in charge of the chassis part, and drivers - on this part we are trying to be on target," he said. "As far as the engine part is concerned, you need to ask Honda.

"We will win when we have the best drivers, the best chassis, the best team, the best car, and the best engine."

Button:
"[On] deployment we've made a good step forward, but with the power unit we've a lot of work still," he said. "They [Honda] have done a good job on reliability and pushing the deployment very hard over the winter, but I don't think any of us will be happy going to Melbourne with the power unit."

Arai:
"We did as much [as we could] quickly last year, but it was not enough," Arai says. "In Japanese corporate culture, you learn and you are groomed within the company, so they tend to move you around different departments without explanation. We don't really question it. That may be a big difference in culture [to Europe].

"The strengthening of Honda's F1 project in total is just more commitment from Honda. It's good timing. Hasegawa-san will take over my role and he will accelerate. I trust his acceleration. [He is] maybe more competitive and faster than me!"

Hasegawa:
"Arai-san has already made the decision for this year of update plans for the engine," explains Hasegawa. "At this moment I just have to follow his plan.

"Maybe sooner or later I can put some of my ideas, but at this moment I have to follow through on his plan, for the next couple of months."
Do you have that article available?
It was from the article mentioned by Goran.
GoranF1 wrote:Anyone have access to autosport premium?
http://beta.autosport.com/premium/featu ... snt-enough

vantage87
vantage87

Hasegawa said the current power unit is not due any major updates ahead of the start of the season.

"Actually the specification is the same. We have already fixed our specification. Of course we will test some of the parts now and next week but because the homologation is fixed at the end of February we can't expect a big update."
http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/148 ... ances-2016

PhillipM
PhillipM

I'm not sure if that's a mistranslation but I saw it quoted before as he was following the specification and regime already set down by Arai for the power unit upgrades - not that the power unit wasn't going to change.

ferkan
ferkan

turbof1

Yes it's either a mistranslation or Hasegawa has not properly informed himself of 2016 regs on tokens. There is no deadline; tokens can be spend all year. Furthermore, no tokens have spend until we get to Australia. Meaning parts you want to spend tokens on can still be changed without any cost of additional tokens, until the engine fires up in Australia.
#AeroFrodo

Sasha
Sasha

Honda 'Old Boys Club Member' Kawamoto san was the major player behind all these Honda moves.(cleaning house)

Do not expect great performance improvements beyond reliability until mid-year.

But they finally have the correct person in charge of the PU....Matsumoto!!!(should of been in charge from day one)
The F1 PU is his number 1 project to fix as Boss of Honda R&D CO.
Last edited by Sasha on 24 Feb 2016, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

turbof1 wrote:Yes it's either a mistranslation or Hasegawa has not properly informed himself of 2016 regs on tokens. There is no deadline; tokens can be spend all year. Furthermore, no tokens have spend until we get to Australia. Meaning parts you want to spend tokens on can still be changed without any cost of additional tokens, until the engine fires up in Australia.
He probably knows the regulations or has people around him that do. What I think it means is that he'll be following the plan for the upgrades to the Power Unit set out by Arai but at some point in the season he'll switch plans and pursue his own ideas with 2017 in mind. No point changing the initial plans now as it's too late in terms of development time on parts and when they can be bought to a race. So stick with the plan with an eye on making changes later in the season.

I would assume the Power Unit at the tests and at the first race will be the basic 2016 PU that will be homologated with the FIA. Then it's a slow and methodical application of upgrades via tokens and the ones that fall under reliability/safety. I'm guessing if they upgrade a part for Melbourne it will either be for reliability or performance reasons.

vantage87
vantage87

Honda: Reliability problems not sorted yet
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda ... et-675457/

F1's new project leader Yusuke Hasegawa said after Button's problem that reliability remained one of the big areas that needed to be improved – and that some parts of its power unit were not yet completely sorted.

"In general we checked our reliability on the dyno, so we have already confirmed our engine cell is running on the dyno now for 4000km," he explained. "But of course we have to check in the car as well.
"Reliability is one of the very important things to update from last year to this year. But as I mentioned, still we have some minor problems for the parts, so we have to confirm every part is alright for the race."

When asked, having completed a decent amount of mileage so far this week, if he was satisfied, Hasegawa said: "From an operational point of view, definitely. Yesterday we could run over 100 laps. But until 4000km...this is not long enough."

Honda is expected to bring a new specification power unit to Barcelona for the second test as it closes in on the version it will homologate and use from Melbourne.

dot235
dot235

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSyl6g4TXBs

Okay, maybe it's just me, but it sounds like crap and so rough that it screams as if something is terribly wrong with it.

Honda Power Unit
2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda
McLaren MP4-31 Honda
McLaren Honda F1 Team
McLaren 2016 Honda
Team for Which Alonso drives 2016
Button's Team 2016
Engine by Y.Arai / Y.Matsumoto 2016
Japanese Power Units in F1
Japanese Power Units in F1 2016
McLaren Chassis 2016
McLaren Aero 2016
McLaren everything except Aero and Chassis and Engine and Drivers 2016
Honda Energy Recovery System 2016
Honda Turbo 2016
McLaren size-zero 2016

Just some ideas for yet another thread. =D>
But seriously, I did get confused where to post this, very counter-intuitive, especially separating team and their car threads. They are gonna severely overlap anyway, so what's the point..

OviJohn
OviJohn

dot235 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSyl6g4TXBs

Okay, maybe it's just me, but it sounds like crap and so rough that it screams as if something is terribly wrong with it.

Only when low revs or downshifts. When going full throttle it actually sound pretty sweet.

(Was at the Circuit on Monday on that very spot that video was shot)

RicME85

I agree this place is a bit too anal with the threads posts are supposed to be made in. It makes sense but at the same time doesn't when there is a lot of crossover.

ctdrftna
ctdrftna

I bet the moderators are engineers...

Sincerely

The Machinist