Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
gruntguru
gruntguru

Re: Ferrari Power Unit

Tommy Cookers wrote:
irsq4 wrote:
gruntguru wrote: TFuelRailGDI = 96.7 TFuelRailGDI 1= 46.1 TFuelRailGDI 2= 96.7
Not surprisingly, they are running heated fuel (as did Honda in the RA168e). This system looks even smarter. Seems they have two fuel supplies - one at the max temp they need (TFuelRailGDI 2) and one near ambient (TFuelRailGDI 1). By varying the mix they can inject at any desired fuel temperature (TFuelRailGDI ) in between, and change the temperature - almost instantly.
By varying fuel injection temp (besides pressure), fuel spray properties are varied ie spray atomization. Sauter Mean Diameter is smaller (smaller droplets) when fuel is injected at higher temp., ref. Tagung Diesel- und Benzindirekteinspritzung
diesel fuel has high viscosity and so has high viscosity change with temperature ?
SI fuel does not

the high-toluene fuel of the 168e era (having a high BP) required controlled heating to improve/standardise its vapourisation
Cosworth talked about charge conditioning (being a reason why PI was good and DI unnecessary in N/A F1engines)
Honda research found PI and charge heating enabled efficient combustion of very lean (AFR 2) homogeneous mixtures

maybe F1 is adjusting fuel temp for similar reasons
Many of the traditional rules of thumb applying to a power-per-unit-displacement formula no longer apply under an "efficiency" formula. Rapid combustion of lean mixtures would almost certainly be enhanced by reduced droplet size and increased homogeneity in the "core" of the stratified charge. Hot fuel will most likely help.
je suis charlie

Webber2011
Webber2011

hattrick wrote:telemetry from Haas F1 team:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CcpacV7WoAAyo9g.jpg:large
Source

Can someone analyze?
They musn't be Star Wars fans...............they're still asking if Obi is ok :lol:

zac510
zac510

The picture has gone from twitter- can somebody repost it, please? :)
No good turn goes unpunished.

damager21
damager21

zac510 wrote:The picture has gone from twitter- can somebody repost it, please? :)
Attaching the image

GPR-A duplicate2

Engine tokens spent
Ferrari 23 (9 remaining)
Honda 18 (14 remaining)
Mercedes 19 (13 remaining)
Renault 7 (25 remaining)

FW17

Possible location for the intercooler

So it looks like

Driver
Fuel Tank--Oil Tank-- Fuel Tank
Fuel Tank -Intercooler-Fuel Tank
Engine
Turbo

With the batter pack below the intercooler

tmoneyr007
tmoneyr007

damager21 wrote:
zac510 wrote:The picture has gone from twitter- can somebody repost it, please? :)
Attaching the image
Can anyone explain what is going on with the L Radiator? Outlet temp higher than inlet? Quite a big variance between the L and R exhaust temps and L and R radiator "performance"?!

zac510
zac510

tmoneyr007 wrote: Can anyone explain what is going on with the L Radiator? Outlet temp higher than inlet? Quite a big variance between the L and R exhaust temps and L and R radiator "performance"?!
As the car's in the garage with pre-heated oil and water, heat-soak (ie from exhaust manifolds), less than normal (or zero) air flow through the radiators I guess that this is not really representative of on-track scenario.
No good turn goes unpunished.

Mr.G

Any news about the Kimi's failure?
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

FrukostScones

Mr.G wrote:Any news about the Kimi's failure?

I think AMUS wrote "turbo failure".
what isn't very specific
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Mr.G

Yes I know about that. I've been more interested in the reason why the turbo (if it really was turbo) failed. If it was overheating due to SC/RF or if Kimi messed it up.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

F1NAC

Mr.G wrote:Yes I know about that. I've been more interested in the reason why the turbo (if it really was turbo) failed. If it was overheating due to SC/RF or if Kimi messed it up.
unfortunately it's very unlikely that the team will give any explanation about this. But it could easily be Kimi's fault this year because of the new radio regulations. So possibly he messed up somewhere in settings. But then again it could be a mechanical failure. We'll never know

wuzak
wuzak

I think they said it overheated during the red flag period.

Blackout

I wonder how the fire managed its way to the airbox? the airbox has no direct connection to the engine. It leads to the comlpressor. Did the latter burn? why would it? or did that fire come from the engine? in that case, did that fire exit the engine intake, run through the intercoolers then exit from the compressor? so how did the engine survive?

gruntguru
gruntguru

Blackout wrote:I wonder how the fire managed its way to the airbox? the airbox has no direct connection to the engine.
It may well be that the airbox ventilates the engine compartment as well as providing cold ram air to the intake.
je suis charlie