Plug in hybrid project

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
manchild
manchild

tomislavp4

I finally started the frame :lol:

[IMG:773:597]http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5577/chassis1ov4.jpg[/img]
[IMG:773:597]http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5355/chassis2bd6.jpg[/img]

It weights 45kg at this moment with 161mm high center of gravity...but the rollover protection, the floor and bunch of other things are missing :oops:

And, yes, I can put either 100x3,7V-70Ah cells or 80x3,7V-100Ah cells in it! \:D/ And I thought there won´t be enough place! ](*,)

Carlos
Carlos

What will it be made of?. From the diagram it looks like foam core composite maybe. Interesting ladder frame or is it a monocoque without top or bottom? It's kind of ingenious, it reminds me of wood boat construction. From the weight figure I will guess it is made of a foam core with aluminum skins riveted and bonded together. Any thoughts about bulkheads? You may need load paths for suspension inputs. Just a few thoughts. Nice work, good to see you are sticking with it and making progress. I have also wondered about how this is a hybrid. Will you use batteries for storage an electric motor and a very small ICE 4-stroke with very good emission control and running at a constant optimal RPM?

tomislavp4

[IMG:773:597]http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/8792 ... opyoz5.jpg[/img]

I´ll use the same process that lotus uses for the elise, aluminium 6061 glued with epoxy resin. If you look at the picture, the upper part is the floor on which the seats are mounted, the floor itself is glued to the siderails and the horisontal cariers. The lower part is the floor of the whole chassis and it carries the battery packs and controll units, it gets screwed on the siderails and the cariers-if you need to work on something you unscrew the floor and everything comes with it :wink:

checkered

A little something

about Lotus Elise and a little something about aluminium. Don't know if they'll prove to be of any use, posted those "just in case".

flynfrog

why aluminum over composite?

tomislavp4

Well mostly price... :|
the elise chassis has some 11000nm/degree and if I make mine close to that it will be more then ok for a <600kg vehicle :wink:

flynfrog

tomislavp4 wrote:Well mostly price... :|
the elise chassis has some 11000nm/degree and if I make mine close to that it will be more then ok for a <600kg vehicle :wink:
composites are probably cheaper than aluminum to build that

think of the tooling you need vs tooling for composites

its cheaper to use composites to build airplanes that its is metal ones now

not knocking you design just offering suggestions

tomislavp4

No problem, that´s why I´m here to hear suggestions from you guys :wink:

All parts are extruded aluminum, you just need the glue and a clean room to glue the things together in...

Now off course carbon-fiber is superior and I would like to use it sooooooo much but with the supply crysis and everything :-k

In your oppinion how much would it cost
-aluminium+tooling
-carbon fiber+tooling or what would be the diference between both?

Carlos
Carlos

[IMG:357:276]http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/6679/e ... is2xh6.jpg[/img]

This is the Lotus Elise chassis you have mentioned. Notice that it is a monocoque, a bunch of aluminum boxes. Lotus glued them together. Your design looks like a ladder frame of castings. It doesn't look like a monocoque at all. If those side rails and cross members are monocoque torsion boxes they may not have any torsional rigidity. Maybe enough for a row boat, but for a car?

tomislavp4

Here´s a better one
[IMG:500:278]http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/3421 ... se1gs3.jpg[/img]

As i said, some parts are missing so I´ll post the whole thing when finished...hopefully I´ll have some FEA results with it too

Carlos
Carlos

Then all you need to do is just find the aluminum extrusions from a supplier.

tomislavp4

Yes that´s pretty much it :)
Anyway we´ll see how it goes on the FEA...

And, I forgot to say, thanks to checkered for the second link (I knew the 1st)

checkered

tomislavp4 wrote:And, I forgot to say, thanks to checkered for the second link (I knew the 1st)
Don't mention it. :wink:

tomislavp4

7000N/degree ](*,) #-o from 60kg, if I want to get anyway close to 10000 I´ll have to add atleast 20kg material to it.....that means one thing-going CF :)

But one question: when you model a carbon-fiber monocoque for FEA testing do you model the core and the cf layers separetlly or you model the whole thing without the core, just the cf?