2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
bill shoe
bill shoe

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

More reading of the original patent.

The patent is typically vague, it describes benefits extensively while giving away as little as possible about the actual mechanism or process that leads to the improvements. "These engine performance enhancements are due to a combination of combustion improvements." Great, thanks.

This may be the key phrase, the John 3:16, of this patent:
the turbulent jet ignition pre-chamber combustion system of the present invention employs an orifice diameter that is kept small to promote flame quenching as the combustion products exit out of the pre-chamber into the main combustion chamber. The combustion products then react with the main fuel charge and initiates combustion in the main fuel chamber at multiple locations through chemical, thermal and turbulent effects some distance away from the pre-chamber nozzle.
OK, so the orifice is really small diameter and that "quenches" combustion (temporarily transforms combustion heat into kinetic energy?) until it quickly jets out to the far reaches of the combustion chamber. This seems roughly consistent with the conduction-ignition vs convection-ignition meme. I'll stop inflicting my words on you now.

gruntguru
gruntguru

je suis charlie

Vortex Motio
Vortex Motio

bill shoe wrote:Not understanding something here.

From Steven's article here on F1T--
The jet igniter itself includes a small ignition chamber with a direct injector (DI) that provides a small amount of auxiliary fuel (<5% of the total system fuel) and a spark plug to ignite that charge.
The corresponding patent has several drawings, all of which envision a TJI injector separate from the main injector.

FIA 2016 technical regulations--
5.10.2 There may only be one direct injector per cylinder and no injectors are permitted upstream of the intake valves or downstream of the exhaust valves.
So... what might be going on...
1. TJI stuff in public domain is nonsense.
2. F1 engine makers have successfully redefined "one direct injector" away from normal ordinary meaning and are using two injectors as envision by original patent.
Regarding #2, Ferrari may have successfully argued to the FIA that their ignition chamber injector:
  • isn't upstream of the intake valves
  • isn't downstream of the exhaust valves
  • isn't in the cylinder
Therefore it's legal as per TR 5.10.2

Regarding #1, it might be helpful to note what Mahle has said, and not said about their venture with Ferrari. They admitted in their annual report that it took them some weeks of man-hours to adapt the Jet Ignition system "to the Formula 1 requirements..."

In addition, their recent press releases announcing their Ferrari jet ignition work consistently use only the phrase, "a special surface ignition" to describe the fruits of those weeks of work for Ferrari.

There are no other mentions of the publicly known technology or processes about their jet ignition system except that phrase, "a special surface ignition". So it's possible that adapting it to F1 requirements may have required significant changes as you have suggested.

gruntguru
gruntguru

I would interpret "surface ignition" to be referring to the spark plug itself, surface discharge plugs being not unknown in F1.
http://www.jagweb.com/aj6eng/ret/index.php (see Fig. 4)
je suis charlie

FW17

TJI and the MAN system pre chambers both does not have an efficient way of inducting fresh air. Some fresh air will ventilate through the nozzle holes but is that sufficient?

Honda in its CVCC engines had a separate intake for the prechamber with its own valve. I guess current regulations call for a maximum of 4 valves ao the Honda system may not be possible without sacrificing one of the regular intake or exhaust valve.

hollus

Great stuff guys!
How large would these pre-chambers be?
Rivals, not enemies.

FW17

hollus wrote:Great stuff guys!
Mahle patent submission

Honda chamber was larger

R_GoWin
R_GoWin

FW17 wrote:
R_GoWin wrote:
enigmaf1 wrote:What about that?https://twitter.com/f1talks/status/724184648113377280

According to this article Mahle confirmed in their annual report (published two days ago) that TJI was introduced in Scuderia Ferrari engine.
I would question the authenticity of the source as if you see the image on the twitter feed and article in Polish - it clearly shows a Mahle TJI and says 97% of fuel in main chamber is provided by port fuel injection - which is not allowed in F1. :lol:
Why would it be difficult for an injector to inject 97% of fuel in the cylinder and 3% in the prechamber?

Once the idea is formulated engineers more often than not get to the solution. With large teams working, it is all the more faster
Two reasons – atomisation and charge preparation. The difficulty with TJI for liquid fuels is not in fuel metering to deliver a ~97%-3% split, but to deliver a suitable mixture quality without compromising the performance of the prechamber or the main chamber.

The article explains a TJI and a business group head promoting it in shareholder meeting as evidence. I didn’t find either of them convincing because - the former is not allowed by F1 tech regs (two injectors) and the latter is a time for tub thumping and chest beating to celebrate successes. I do not doubt Mahle may have adapted this technology, but I do question its usability in its native form (prechamber with spark plug + DI housed inside) with liquid fuels. This concept is established with gaseous fuels. And I am making the assumption that fuel vaporisers are not allowed by the tech regs in F1.

As far as I understand, the rules do not allow more than one injector. But the main chamber and prechamber place different requirements on the injector - in terms of liquid length. I'd imagine one wouldn't want to hit the walls of the pre chamber - as depending on the Weber number of the fuel droplet - it would either splash and form a liquid film (hence risking pre-ignition knock in the rich prechamber cavity) or rebound off the walls and increase the risk of spark plug fouling. So you would want short liquid lengths in the pre- chamber. And the primary way to achieve that by design is to have large injector nozzle hole. But this would result in blobs of fuel which do not evapourate well. Instead, if you select the injector for ideal operation in the main chamber - even if somehow the injector is able to spray into the main chamber via the holes of the pre-chamber (which I cannot see how) – its nozzle jet cone angle will have to be so small that it would conserve more momentum from injection. This would limit the effectiveness of spray break-up process that happens at the shear layers between the re-circulating vortices and the high velocity fuel jet. This compromises fuel atomisation, fuel spread and stratification.

The more obvious challenge is the differences in nozzle flow rates and injection pressure required for main and pre-chamber fuel delivery. But I’ve seen what some advanced injectors can do with digital rate shape modulation and I am willing to consider it as a plausibility. There are a load of other ‘smart’ injectors out there with pressure modulation/variable nozzle opening etc – but I haven’t checked the regulations to see what’s allowed and what’s not.

@FW17 - I am not saying this is how things are because I have no greater insight. If Mahle has done it, then chapeau! But this is way I read the physics of the situation.

Now what could be a possibility is that the DI injector sits outside the so-called TJI and the compression stroke forces the vapourised fuel into the pre-chamber.

R_GoWin
R_GoWin

PlatinumZealot wrote: They could be using the same technology but from a different maker. A user posted a video of the MAN engine with the JET ignition, only it was Natural gas. It looks extremely similar to the mahle concept, which leads me to believe that this JI is something that is widely known about in the engine design realm.
This has been around for a while, Mahle TJI is the latest avatar. I've looked at Multi torch a while ago when they were the latest kid on the block.

http://www.multitorch.de/index.php?seite=company

Before them Bosch had the Homogenous Combustion Jet Ignition (HCJI) system. The oil crisis in the 70s was a good motivator for such technologies with Honda's CVCC and Porshe's SKS etc.

(http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/es6 ... ode=esthag)

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

I think the 97/3% rate is good for pre mixing a homogenious mixture, during the intake stroke. There was a paper about how more fuel injected during intake, resulted in lower NOx levels, because of the beter mixture. However, a 50/50% rate (50% during intake, 50% just before ignition) gave the highest efficiency.

Since for NOx is no issue for formula 1, i think a 50/50% rate is the best and it would nit be hard to make an injector that spray's a large amount in the main chamber and a little in the pre-chamber. The resulting mix would be less homogenious, but more efficient.

PlatinumZealot

R_GoWin wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote: They could be using the same technology but from a different maker. A user posted a video of the MAN engine with the JET ignition, only it was Natural gas. It looks extremely similar to the mahle concept, which leads me to believe that this JI is something that is widely known about in the engine design realm.
This has been around for a while, Mahle TJI is the latest avatar. I've looked at Multi torch a while ago when they were the latest kid on the block.

http://www.multitorch.de/index.php?seite=company

Before them Bosch had the Homogenous Combustion Jet Ignition (HCJI) system. The oil crisis in the 70s was a good motivator for such technologies with Honda's CVCC and Porshe's SKS etc.

(http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/es6 ... ode=esthag)
Nice find. That Multitorch one is very interesting... the chamber is built right into the spark plug itself. Seems to be less control than having the injector inside the chamber but it could actually work well enough..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

The jet igniter itself includes a small ignition chamber with a direct injector (DI) that provides a small amount of auxiliary fuel (<5% of the total system fuel) and a spark plug to ignite that charge.
The corresponding patent has several drawings, all of which envision a TJI injector separate from the main injector.

5.10.2 There may only be one direct injector per cylinder and no injectors are permitted upstream of the intake valves or downstream of the exhaust valves.
2. F1 engine makers have successfully redefined "one direct injector" away from normal ordinary meaning and are using two injectors as envision by original patent.
3. F1 engine makers have successfully developed a single injector that does a tiny injection to the pre-chamber while also doing a much larger injection to the main combustion chamber.
Ahem... 8)

I think this is a loophole! Why?.. A pre-chamber is a form of indirect fuel injection! So a second injector in the pre-chamber - which is not upstream of the intake valves ordownstream of the exhaust valves should be legal ! :mrgreen: 8)

Also, these Journalist don't read very well, here is another nail in the HCCI in F1 coffin:
Ignition systems :
Ignition is only permitted by means of a single ignition coil and single spark plug per cylinder.
No more than five sparks per cylinder per engine cycle are permitted.
The use of plasma, laser or other high f
requency ignition techniques is forbidden.
Only approved ignition coils
may be used and the list of parts approved by the FIA, and the
approval procedure, may be found in the Appendix to the Technical Regulations.
Only conventional spark plugs that
function by high tension electrical discharge across an
exposed gap are permitted.
Spark plugs are not subject to the materials restrictions described in Articles 5.16 and 5.17.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

gruntguru
gruntguru

If you are suggesting that rule 5.10.2 outlaws auto ignition I think you are wrong. As long as there is a spark plug that meets the rules, it would be ridiculous for the judges to try and prove the mixture was actually auto-igniting. If they did it for one car they would have to somehow check every car and monitor them all for the whole race.
je suis charlie

gruntguru
gruntguru

hollus wrote:Great stuff guys!
Assuming the pre-chamber injector is delivering 3% of the fuel (suggested as a norm by Mahle). Lets assume the pre-chamber has double the AFR of the main chamber (say 1.0 and main chamber 2.0). Also assume that the pre-chamber gets lambda 2.0 mix from the main chamber during the compression stroke. This would mean the pre-chamber volume is 3% of the clearance volume. The clearance volume is about 1/11th of the swept volume so 3% x 1/11 x 1/6 x 1600cc = 0.73 cc.

Sounds a bit small to me but I don't think this is too far wrong.
je suis charlie

wuzak
wuzak

PlatinumZealot wrote:

3. F1 engine makers have successfully developed a single injector that does a tiny injection to the pre-chamber while also doing a much larger injection to the main combustion chamber.
Ahem... 8)

I think this is a loophole! Why?.. A pre-chamber is a form of indirect fuel injection! So a second injector in the pre-chamber - which is not upstream of the intake valves ordownstream of the exhaust valves should be legal ! :mrgreen: 8)

Also, these Journalist don't read very well, here is another nail in the HCCI in F1 coffin:
Ignition systems :
Ignition is only permitted by means of a single ignition coil and single spark plug per cylinder.
No more than five sparks per cylinder per engine cycle are permitted.
The use of plasma, laser or other high f
requency ignition techniques is forbidden.
Only approved ignition coils
may be used and the list of parts approved by the FIA, and the
approval procedure, may be found in the Appendix to the Technical Regulations.
Only conventional spark plugs that
function by high tension electrical discharge across an
exposed gap are permitted.
Spark plugs are not subject to the materials restrictions described in Articles 5.16 and 5.17.
Injectors also have to be an approved part. Somehow I doubt that the FIA would be approving two types of injector per manufacturer.
5.10.2 There may only be one direct injector per cylinder and no injectors are permitted upstream of the intake valves or downstream of the exhaust valves. Only approved parts may be used and the list of parts approved by the FIA, and the approval procedure, may be found in the Appendix to the Technical Regulations.