Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
godlameroso

Re: Honda Power Unit

They don't specify, only that it's an engine upgrade that could be brought as early as this weekend. That's pretty incredible if you ask me. How long does it take to manufacture the block from the raw materials?
Saishū kōnā

diffuser

godlameroso wrote:They don't specify, only that it's an engine upgrade that could be brought as early as this weekend. That's pretty incredible if you ask me. How long does it take to manufacture the block from the raw materials?
We don't know what they're changing. Doubt it's the block. they're was probably a limited number of parts that they've been looking to replace.

wuzak
wuzak

NL_Fer wrote:20Bhp under which mode?
Idling.

dren

wuzak wrote:
NL_Fer wrote:20Bhp under which mode?
Idling.
I was leaning more towards when reverse is engaged.
Honda!

dren

Surprise, nobody is interested in a Honda lump! From the future upgrades, Hasegawa is expecting half a second lap time improvement, or maybe it'd just be nice but might not come to fruition. Floundering decisions. Reeks of oversight by committees of committees.

Here's hoping for the best.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... its-engine
Honda!

godlameroso

.5 from the engine and another .3 from the chassis and they'd be within striking distance of being on the podium
Saishū kōnā

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

dren wrote:Surprise, nobody is interested in a Honda lump! From the future upgrades, Hasegawa is expecting half a second lap time improvement, or maybe it'd just be nice but might not come to fruition. Floundering decisions. Reeks of oversight by committees of committees.

When people in F1 say half a second per lap, what lap are they referring to? Half a second per lap in Austria is very different to doing the same in Spa.

I know it is a convenient frame of reference, but it is odd that such a technically minded community uses such an imprecise unit of measurement. Or is this just their way of communicating technical information in a way that the average reader would understand?

mrluke
mrluke

dren wrote:Surprise, nobody is interested in a Honda lump! From the future upgrades, Hasegawa is expecting half a second lap time improvement, or maybe it'd just be nice but might not come to fruition. Floundering decisions. Reeks of oversight by committees of committees.

Realistically who would they supply?

None of the mercedes teams will jump ship.

You are looking at anybody with a renault or a 2015 ferrari.

Renault is Renault or RBR neither of which are going to change for next season.

The only possibilities are probably STR or Sauber. STR only just changed their PU for this year so doubt they want to change again and Sauber are about the only team consistently slower than McHonda.

godlameroso

And Manor and Haas are B teams for their respective engine suppliers.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Fulcrum wrote:

When people in F1 say half a second per lap, what lap are they referring to? Half a second per lap in Austria is very different to doing the same in Spa.

I know it is a convenient frame of reference, but it is odd that such a technically minded community uses such an imprecise unit of measurement. Or is this just their way of communicating technical information in a way that the average reader would understand?
Usually they mean .5 around a benchmark track like Barcelona. Teams test there, so they have massive experience with the circuit. Also like the saying goes, the rain in Spain falls mostly on the plain, so they don't have to worry too much about bad weather. Therefore since it's such a often used, consistent venue, when teams talk about improvements they're using Barcelona as a reference.
Saishū kōnā

Craigy

mrluke wrote:
The only possibilities are probably STR or Sauber. STR only just changed their PU for this year so doubt they want to change again and Sauber are about the only team consistently slower than McHonda.
Honda can't supply STR for 2017 as they already have a Renault contract for next year.

GoranF1
GoranF1

The upgrade will be intake related, it wasnt ready for Austria.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

godlameroso

Compressor, intercooler, trumpets, intake ports, cam shafts?
Saishū kōnā

GoranF1
GoranF1

godlameroso wrote:Compressor, intercooler, trumpets, intake ports, cam shafts?
Hasegawa said for Japan press "intake related".

GoranF1
GoranF1

muramasa
Today, 19:49
===============================================

japanese press report summary for Austria GP
all dotted parts are Hasegawa quotes

===============================================

no interesting info from Friday, mainly just excerpts from official FIA conference Hasegawa attended
http://f1sokuho.mopi...ics_type=-1&rn=

Saturday ^---------------------------------------------------
http://f1sokuho.mopi...&no=99655&tt=-1

(on JB's final attack lap in Q3 where JB let Ros through before making the run) Around when he passed Sector 2, the pit was informing JB properly very well by saying "we still have enough time so make sure to have enough gap to the car in front".

Sunday -----------------------------------------------------------------
http://f1sokuho.mopi...714&tt=-1&at=15
http://sportiva.shue...016/07/06/gp_2/
http://f1sokuho.mopi...801&tt=-1&at=15

------ pre-race

I think JB will get passed quickly. If you try hard to battle and defend hard those faster cars instead of just letting them pass, you'll end up destroying your tyres and eventually screw your own race, so. I think we should focus on and construct our own race. We have to avoid being in such situation where we screw up our chances of fighting with / beat FI and STR who are our direct rivals.
Still, in order to get good result, nearer the front the better. In that sense, we were able to get good grid position so we'd like to aim higher position than 10th.

------- post race
Regarding Alonso, system error was detected on battery pack so we made him box to retire. The car had system error occurring from the middle of race, but just that system error is happening doesnt immediately lead to situation where deployment stops completely, so it doesnt affect lap time that much. However, it went into fail mode completely sometime in the middle, so he had moments where his lap time dropped a lot, in order to clear the issue, twice in the process. The problem still hasnt been resolved, so we had him pit to retire for safety reason.

- in JB vs Ric in late stage of the race, team told JB to take it easy and back off / let Ric go (info in the article)

We have to analyze further to know why FI and Williams had to have such race this time. Still, it's certain that it was an encouraging race for future.

in post race debrief, JB thanked to engineers by saying "Throughout the weekend, both chassis setting and pu was very good. I want to thank everyone once again. Thank you very much". Of course I worked with Jenson during 00s, so it's not the first time I heard appreciation word from him. But since i came back to F1 from this year, it was the first time I heard such remark from him.

- Honda was planning to introduce intake related update using token at Austria but couldn't ready in time, so got postponed to British GP (info in the article)

==========================================

Added new quotes from Baku to the prev races summary btw
http://forums.autosp...t-iv/?p=7598925

----------------------------
http://sportiva.shue...6/07/01/f1_109/

(Baku Thursday)
it's very hot. But there is no worry about heating issue for PU. Last year we were plagued with over heating, but this year there are rather too much margin in cooling, to the extent that we have been making efforts to not make it too cold so far. So, finally we have an opportunity to show what we've got (here at Baku cos it's properly hot finally).

(on the long full throttle section form T16 to T1) It's extremely long isn't it. You go full throttle for 2.1km in distance and almost 20sec in duration.

(Baku Friday-Sunday)
Drivers were saying "it's slow on straight! it's slow!". Chassis setting is well settled, but it's tough on long straight. It's not too bad about elsewhere, but what will be crucial is minimizing the loss on the straight as little as possible. Dont want to say this but it's nothing but lack of power that's the reason/cause.

Regarding Canada GP race, there was good chance of rain, so in a sense we took gamble and chose heavier df setting betting on the chance of rain. With our current capability, we have to do something like that otherwise we'd have no chance to aim high position, so that itself was fine, I think.
Meanwhile this time (Baku), we chose lower df wings. We would be unable to have proper battle in the race unless you sacrifice qualify performance to achieve good top speed.

With our current capability, it's difficult to score points unless there are some retirements in front running cars, that's the reality. It's already shameful that we have to expect sth like that from the beginning, but anyway this result is proper reflection of our capacity.
Race pace was better than we feared it would be, and we were able to have good battles in the midfield pack, so the race itself wasnt too bad, I think. There was not particular / too severe fuel issue either, and upcoming venues are not as severe as Baku in fuel consumption, so Baku gave us certain clue/confidence for those next races. We really thought we'd struggle a lot more. Compared to that (pre-GP assessment), we were able to come to this position in the end by making proper battles, so it's an encouraging result.
(However have to increase power by improving ICE, because) in reality, it's not like we were battling with top group like Merc, Ferrari, RBR as well as Force India. So, even if we could battle on equal terms, it's merely that we were able to battle against "the rest of them (those strong teams like merc, ferrar, etc)"....