Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

Re: Honda Power Unit

ok so is it 15hp + efficiency? If there is an efficiency improvement it can mean engine could be ran in a higher mode producing more...erm.....ooomf?

I appreciate my thinking might be simple but does that make sense?

PhillipM
PhillipM

There has to be an efficiency improvement otherwise you couldn't get extra power, we're fuel limited ;)

hurril
hurril

PhillipM wrote:There has to be an efficiency improvement otherwise you couldn't get extra power, we're fuel limited ;)
Well, as fellowhoodlums said, the devil is in the details here. Those 15Hp could well be the ability to run The Aggressive Map(tm) for a little longer because other modes are now more efficient.

The merc engine, for instance, probably has the strongest qualification map putting them up front. They also seem to run more efficiently than the others. To me it is not even that obvious that the efficiency is in the ICE to begin with. There could be zero difference there between them and, say, Ferrari for all we know.

Imagine, for instance, that the mercs have an electrical system (for the MGU-x units) that consistently loses as much as 20% less to the environment. Nothing that is going to show up on any momentary Hp/ torque or fuel consumption chart in any of the interesting modes. It will most definitely add up on the last line though. An extra 2-3 laps of an aggressive mode on the donkey is all that is needed to beat the Ferrari on their own undercutting game for instance. See what I mean?

This Xx or Yy Hp left or right is not where it's at when the qually is over.

godlameroso

And a small horsepower boost could allow them to run a bit more wing which could give them more performance from the chassis.
Saishū kōnā

GoranF1
GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

The angle is slightly different, but that doesn't look like just the trumpets to me.

maguetox
maguetox

Thunders wrote:Nice, thanks. Well that should help, coupled with efficiency gains.
With the efficiency gains I would say those 15 HP could translate in 20 something HP of total gain. [-o< [-o< [-o<

ME4ME

maguetox wrote:
Thunders wrote:Nice, thanks. Well that should help, coupled with efficiency gains.
With the efficiency gains I would say those 15 HP could translate in 20 something HP of total gain. [-o< [-o< [-o<
No, as stated above any performance gain is because of gains in efficiency.

Prolonged running in higher power mode is a result of improved reliability.

a1b2i3r45

Is there a change in the design of the plenum chamber too? Cause it looks different.

PlatinumZealot

Bigger taller airbox as i predicted for the new bigger compressor.
The bigger compressor was declared with the rest of the turbo but not installed till this week.

They were runningwhy with a mismatched compressor to the turbo since canada the new turbine. Had the extra energy to give to ers and fompressor but the conpressor couldnt take advantage because it was so small.

The bigger compressor is finally mated and the intake system is raised up by 30mm as i predicted to make space.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Abarth

PlatinumZealot wrote:[...]

The bigger compressor is finally mated and the intake system is raised up by 30mm as i predicted to make space.
That would be difficult with only two tokens......
22 Inlet system Trumpets and associated parts and actuators. 1
23 Inlet system Throttles and associated parts and actuators. 1
24 Pressure charging From compressor inlet to compressor outlet. 2

godlameroso

Although it wouldn't be so far fetched if that was the only change they made. Looks like the simplified the sensors going into the plenum chamber. Perhaps more likely, they had to previously compromise with shorter unoptimized trumpets. Except now they've re-designed them to get the behavior they originally intended while maintaining the requisite space for the turbo. I don't think they've changed the turbo compressor, I don't think they have a problem producing adequate boost pressure. The difference is in combustion technology, and given the scope of what's needed I wouldn't be surprised to see another small token spend before the summer break. Then one big token spend a race or two afterwards.
Saishū kōnā

GoranF1
GoranF1

Honda upgrade is worth 12kw.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

PlatinumZealot

Abarth wrote:

My sources say the compressor was declared from before but not installed. Remember Honda said the engine was basically he 2015 engine with reliability upgrades at the start of the season. Also, there is no where in the rules that state you have to race the upgrades what you declared... So honda has "pre-ordered" their upgrades and are installing them now. That's why the token spend only went up by 2.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

diffuser

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Abarth wrote:

My sources say the compressor was declared from before but not installed. Remember Honda said the engine was basically he 2015 engine with reliability upgrades at the start of the season. Also, there is no where in the rules that state you have to race the upgrades what you declared... So honda has "pre-ordered" their upgrades and are installing them now. That's why the token spend only went up by 2.

So you're saying they decared turbo/Compressor in Canada, put the turbine on in Canada and the compressor now with the new intake mods ???