No Rally Dakar 2008

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Tifoso

No Rally Dakar 2008

The world is going crazy thanks to terrorism. Now, the organizers have decided not to run this year due to the lack of 100% safety that is needed for this events.

Not the safety of the sport itself which is impossible as motorsports are a risk, but the outside safety, the safety of the hundreds of people who work there, who run...

All thanks to terrorism. Thank you very much. :x

--------
The 2008 Rally of Dakar, which was scheduled to start in Portugal's Capital City Lisbon on Saturday, has been cancelled over security concerns in Mauritania where four French tourists were killed last month. The organisers of the event made an official statement this afternoon at 1pm.

Official statement ASO: "After different exchanges with the French government - in particular the Ministry for Foreign Affairs - , and based on their firm recommendations, the organisers of the Dakar have taken the decision to cancel the 2008 edition of the rally, scheduled from the 5th to the 20th of January between Lisbon and Senegal’s capital.

Based on the current international political tension and the murder of four French tourists last 28th of December linked to a branch of Al-Qaeda in Islamic Maghreb, but also and mainly the direct threats launched directly against the race by terrorist organisations, no other decision but the cancellation of the sporting event could be taken by A.S.O.

A.S.O.’s first responsibility is to guarantee the safety of all: that of the populations in the countries visited, of the amateur and professional competitors, of the technical assistance personnel, of the journalists, partners and rally collaborators. A.S.O. therefore reaffirms that the choice of security is not, has never been and will never be a subject of compromise at the heart of the Dakar rally.

A.S.O. condemns the terrorist menace that annihilates a year of hard work, engagement and passion for all the participants and the different actors of the world’s biggest off-road rally. Aware of the huge frustration, especially in Portugal, Morocco, Mauritania and Senegal, and beyond the general disappointment and the huge economical consequences in terms of direct and indirect repercussions for the countries visited, A.S.O. will continue to defend the major values of great sporting events and will carry on its engagement for a durable development through the Actions Dakar, started 5 years ago in sub-Saharan Africa with SOS Sahel International.

The Dakar is a symbol and nothing can destroy symbols. The cancellation of the 2008 edition does not endanger the future of the Dakar. To offer, for 2009 a new adventure to all the off-road rally passionate is a challenge that A.S.O. will take on in the months to come, faithful to its engagement and its passion for sports."

F1Technical

------------

I hope this crazy trend doesn't even "touch" our loved GP's :(

Principessa

Re: No Rally Dakar 2008

It's sad to hear that the Dakar Rally has been cancelled because of some extreme minds that are planning a terror attack on the Dakar caravan. It is a shame that so much money has been waisted and that the people who have worked a whole year to organise the desert really worked for nothing.

Still I believe that the organisers made the right decision. There have already been safety threats for the drivers of the rally, not only by the sandy terrain but also by bandits who shoot at them. If the threat is too big, like this year, it's better safe than sorry in my opinion.

dumrick
dumrick

A major disappointment was felt here at Portugal following that announcement. I trust that ASO did everything they could to try to solve the security issues and that it was a last resource, but to do it when the technical checks were done and everyone ready to race was a huge blow. Municipalities that invested to receive the rally are already considering judicial moves, but the worst may be for the hundreds of privateers. Some of them really do huge financial efforts to pursue the dream of taking part on this adventure and now they end up without money and without a dream... #-o

manchild
manchild

Oh well, they killed one unarmed French family so instead of enjoying the rally now they'll face Légion étrangère. :twisted:
Tifoso wrote:I hope this crazy trend doesn't even "touch" our loved GP's :(
You mean switch off the reflectors 5 seconds after start of Singapore night race? :wink:

F1RusH

manchild wrote:Oh well, they killed one unarmed French family so instead of enjoying the rally now they'll face Légion étrangère. :twisted:
Tifoso wrote:I hope this crazy trend doesn't even "touch" our loved GP's :(
You mean switch off the reflectors 5 seconds after start of Singapore night race? :wink:
You know what?....that`s first thing I thought about when I heard this story. Bernie is lining his pockets and taking the sport to places that pay the highest price, but at what cost if half an F1 season could theoretically be wiped out with threats. :shock: :wink:

vyselegend

I'm unpleasantly surprised to see they have cancelled the whole Dakar because of potential threat in Mauritania! :( It is admittable that securing such an area as a desert is not possible, but I think this cancellation is like bowing to terrorism, for sure the feeling of "power" of some few fanatic people will only grow up now they know they can blow up an international competition like that.

Also, There are some privateers who made some huge efforts to be able to compete there, and manufacturers like Volkswagen or Mitsubishi had their main competition depts focused on the Dakar program, now they'll have no visibility at all as a reward. Talk about a waste! Shame...

Giblet
Giblet

Wasn't it a recent Dakar rally that they had to use US military planes to ferry the drivers and vehicles past an ambush?

Was I hallucinating or did anyone else see that?
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

West
West

Quite a shame; everybody in the world has a life except terrorists, so they have to ruin it for everybody.

Solutions:

1) Have Apaches fly around with everybody and let them feed terrorists w/ 30mm bullets

2) Give all drivers a PDW

3) Each repair truck should house a Special Forces team
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

vyselegend

The worst thing is that even such extremists solutions would guarantee nothing, as those are sucid attacks they fear, terrorists do not care to die in the process. If you see them, they're close enough to make you blow with themselves...

But I think they should have just cancelled Mauritania and save the rest of the Raid.

icef1mkd
icef1mkd

I read a move to Argentina (Patagonia) is an option
"You will never know the feeling of a driver
when winning a race. The helmet hides feelings
that cannot be understood."
Ayrton Senna, November 1988

vyselegend

There are now persistent rumors here that a Rally Raid will be organised soon (this spring), and entry will be free for every Dakar participants.
It would be located in east Europa, probably starting from Varsovie (Poland) or Budapest (Hungary).

Nothing official though...

ASO also told it was very probable that 2009 Dakar will be in South America (Argentina I believe).

Belatti
Belatti

West wrote:Quite a shame; everybody in the world has a life except terrorists, so they have to ruin it for everybody.

Solutions:

1) Have Apaches fly around with everybody and let them feed terrorists w/ 30mm bullets

2) Give all drivers a PDW

3) Each repair truck should house a Special Forces team
I prefer option 4) Let them do what they want with their oil

Then they will not need to call the attention.

Changing the subject, here in Patagonia region there are good places to make the Dakar happen, I crossed the desert between Santa Rosa (La Pampa province capital city) and Neuquen (Neuquen province capital city) and I can assure that you have got 300km without a gas station or even without something.

It would be a nice race between Argentina and Chile.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna