Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Re: Honda Power Unit

Electrical issue that requires an engine switch after half a race distance. I can understand the oil tank issue is not reproducible at a test rig, the same goes for the spooky issue on day two. But an electrical issue?

turbof1

Guys,

The topic here is NOT to complain! I can understand people getting outright frustrated by the ungoing issues with the Honda PU. But: this is a technical thread where objectivity comes first! Frustrations can be outed in either the testing thread, or the team thread.

If an issue rises, you are allowed to:
-Post that the PU has broken down if you are certain the PU is at fault.
-Post which part has broken down if you are certain about the part.
-Discuss what possible solutions can be put in place.

Please stick to this instead of just filling up some space in this thread. Posts have been removed.
#AeroFrodo

BosF1
BosF1

I think these issues popping up are exactly the reason why they haven't introduced their Melbourne spec yet. If I keep seeing new issues in my current spec engine, I would want to make sure my new spec engine has addressed these issues in order to prohibit them from popping up there as well.

isullivan
isullivan

BosF1 wrote:I think these issues popping up are exactly the reason why they haven't introduced their Melbourne spec yet. If I keep seeing new issues in my current spec engine, I would want to make sure my new spec engine has addressed these issues in order to prohibit them from popping up there as well.
Just what I was thinking, they probably had to redesign the oil tank on the Melbourne spec as well, I don't see why would the run a last week's engine otherwise if they announced they are gonna use the new one in week 2.

hurril
hurril

No pictures of the new jewel out yet? (Apart from that one from 1-2 weeks ago.)

Thunder

isullivan wrote:
Just what I was thinking, they probably had to redesign the oil tank on the Melbourne spec as well, I don't see why would the run a last week's engine otherwise if they announced they are gonna use the new one in week 2.
It's because the Day 2 breakdown was giving them Headaches and Honda wasn't sure it they had to redesign any Parts. But that new electrical Problem is worrying, since everything was just Pointing towards the Cylinder Head / Valvetrain to be critical.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Joseki
Joseki

If I'm not mistaken it's the first electrical issue on the new nightmare fueled disaster made by Honda, is it another unexpected failure and undiscovered weak part?

EDIT: thankfully it's still the old spec engine. Maybe the new is at least decent.
Last edited by turbof1 on 07 Mar 2017, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No room for sarcastic jokes here. Stay on topic please.

turbof1

Common guys, I'm not asking to solve world hunger, simply to discuss only about the hardware's functionality and possible fixes. I'm constantly removing posts in here. Next time I have to do so, the thread goes on lock down to cool off.
#AeroFrodo

ncassi22
ncassi22

Thunders wrote:
isullivan wrote:
It's because the Day 2 breakdown was giving them Headaches and Honda wasn't sure it they had to redesign any Parts. But that new electrical Problem is worrying, since everything was just Pointing towards the Cylinder Head / Valvetrain to be critical.
It could be something like a knock sensor malfunctioning and preventing the ecu from pulling timing and causing failure... Hence what Eric says with the issues being related. Just a thought.

hurril
hurril

turbof1 wrote:Common guys, I'm not asking to solve world hunger, simply to discuss only about the hardware's functionality and possible fixes. I'm constantly removing posts in here. Next time I have to do so, the thread goes on lock down to cool off.
Warn the offenders!

GoranF1
GoranF1

According to AMuS the Honda PU has the power level of 2015 unit has problems whit vibration and overheating.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

BosF1
BosF1

AMuS reports that the suspicion exists that the pre-chamber ignition specifically is accompanied with vibrations and more heat and that this affects the rest of the engine as well.

Another interesting fact: Honda brought 3 PU's to Barcelona. Since there are doubts if this will be enough for all four days, they'll bring a fourth on Thursday. No mention about the spec of Thursday's PU.

Besides the (much) lower poweroutput they are driving with now, as mentioned by GoranF1, they also are very busy managing driveabilty of the PU and the tuning of the electric components.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 40526.html

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

BosF1 wrote:AMuS reports that the suspicion is that the pre-chamber ignition specifically is accompanied with vibrations and more heat and that this affects the rest of the engine as well.

Another interesting fact: Honda brought 3 PU's to Barcelona. Since there are doubts if this will be enough for all four days, they'll bring a fourth on Thursday. No mention about the spec.
That fits with the story from Boullier. Clearly they are focussing on the Australia spec engine for the fix and not there yet so just having to run with this spec engine, accept they will need to replace daily but run it to get as much mileage for the aero/chassis as they can. Engine probably running on lower power too to prevent changing engine every 2 hours!

Joseki
Joseki

Mercedes had vibration problems at the start of the 2015 season. They are two years behind the fine tuning Mercedes did since then.

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 3 utilizzando Tapatalk

GoranF1
GoranF1

BosF1 wrote:AMuS reports that the suspicion exists that the pre-chamber ignition specifically is accompanied with vibrations and more heat and that this affects the rest of the engine as well.

Another interesting fact: Honda brought 3 PU's to Barcelona. Since there are doubts if this will be enough for all four days, they'll bring a fourth on Thursday. No mention about the spec of Thursday's PU.

Besides the (much) lower poweroutput they are driving with now, as mentioned by GoranF1, they also are very busy managing driveabilty of the PU and the tuning of the electric components.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 40526.html
I think amus says 2015 power level is max this unit can do
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."