Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
flexcon
flexcon

Re: Honda Power Unit

Been around the track all day now and that mclaren each time it is out makes that god awful clunk sound into 6th and 7th gear each time.

Really noticeable, almost like cyclinder shut off even between gears or the roughest of dog gearboxes

only the honda engine doing this by the way.

Webber2011
Webber2011

-wkst- wrote:I am looking forward to the comment from insider "Wazari" when the test action is already over and he can post another entry, with facts that have been published already somewhere else.

insider :lol:
impostor :o
Why would you say this ?
Do wish to drive Wazari from the Forum ?

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

makecry wrote:
Thunders wrote:German SportBild too reports the Problems lie in the Cylinder Head, specifically with the new Injection Technology. That supposedly was the cause for the Day 2 and Day 5 Engine Failure.
Wasn't yesterday's "failure" an electric issue and they changed it as a precautionary measure?
According to Sky's Ask Crofty thing (No Ted this week), after Croft did some digging around the paddock he said it wasn't an electrical problem but a serious mechanical failure. If it's the cylinder head and injectors ? Unless they know the exact cause for it, then it's a tough ask to get a fix figured out, tested and implemented before the first race. However if that's the only issue that's crippling the PU, then it's not too bad in the long run.

dren

danielk wrote:
So its not just the reliability. The engine is undriveable #-o
Which is better than having a rather crap chassis at the start. With these new PUs, the driveability can certainly be smoothed and changed through mapping. I still don't believe all of the team's shortcomings are down to the PU. Last year the chassis was to blame for part of it, too. Remember the chassis the team designed with the Mercedes PU in 2014?

Hopefully, both parties can get things turned around after several races into the championship.
Honda!

seezung
seezung

Any one seen this video of the spin? Listen to the sound while he gets it on track again. The first gear really sounds rough..

https://twitter.com/MotorF9/status/839440152921505792

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Sounds like rev limiting?

hurril
hurril

seezung wrote:Any one seen this video of the spin? Listen to the sound while he gets it on track again. The first gear really sounds rough..

https://twitter.com/MotorF9/status/839440152921505792
Also plenty of blue smoke!

toraabe
toraabe

Jef Patat wrote:Sounds like rev limiting?
Yes rev limiter
I suggest that most are limited at around 13k.
Another thing is that the Honda engine is reving higher than the others.. for some reason.
Last year they were shifting at 12,5k but Merc and Renault at 11,5k and Ferrari at 12k..

Craigy

toraabe wrote:Last year they were shifting at 12,5k but Merc and Renault at 11,5k and Ferrari at 12k..
Last year, Force India were shifting higher than the Mercedes and Williams teams.

They aren't all using the same gearbox ratios or shift points - the Force India gearbox lower gears were shorter than the Williams or Mercedes ones, and they were shifting at above 12500 in some places, in the middle gears.

tom101
tom101

another engine change today

in spain there is a new expresion "You are working more than a Mclaren mechanic"

mclaren111

tom101 wrote:another engine change today

in spain there is a new expresion "You are working more than a Mclaren mechanic"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ScrewCaptain27

Here's a better look. It appears to me the airbox goes into the back, Renault-style:
Last edited by ScrewCaptain27 on 08 Mar 2017, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Joseki
Joseki

I like how they are not even trying to hide the power unit.

AmateurExpert
AmateurExpert

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:Here's a better look. It appears to me the airbox goes into the back, Renault-style:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201703 ... 3684f0.jpg
There was a better photo posted last week of the airbox area. I think what you are seeing are cooling ducts for the (gearbox?/oil?) cooler - these seem to wrap around the sides of a compressor intake dropping down centrally between them.

flexcon
flexcon

Here is another clip I took just now.

Whilst the sound we are familiar with sounds great like a devil, this changing gears in 5th 6th and 7th is awful!!

https://youtu.be/_RPtcv35b1U