Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Craigy

Re: Honda Power Unit

flexcon wrote:Here is another clip I took just now.

Whilst the sound we are familiar with sounds great like a devil, this changing gears in 5th 6th and 7th is awful!!

https://youtu.be/_RPtcv35b1U
Agreed.

Crackpot theory: Honda are using the ERS-K to provide a quick torque fix to rev-match the engine to the gearbox, and that's currently failing for some control reason, meaning that the engagement is very harsh.

HPD

Q: You said at your press conference yesterday that you were not too worried about the current McLaren-Honda situation. What do you see that inspires confidence?
Eric BOULLIER: "We've been with them for three years now, this is not going to be the way we'd like it to be, but it's gaining in knowledge." Today we are not where we'd like to be, but the technologies we use now are similar to those used by others. When the maturity of this is correct, we will be with the others ".

Q: You have said that the new engine will solve "most" of your problems. Does that mean that in the first races they can still have faults or will everything be perfect?
E. BOULLIER: "It's hard to say if it will be perfect.When you have problems that keep you from running, you have less confidence about your chances of finishing races, but I think, I hope, that they will solve everything before Australia."

Q: Renault says the change of concept in its engine is an investment three-five years seen. Honda has also changed its concept. Can McLaren wait so long to win?
E. BOULLIER: "That's another story, but I think Honda has the capacity and resources to do it in less than three years, and for the past four years they have been up and running, starting from scratch and getting quite up to date With Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari. Despite what you can see, I think they are doing a good job. "

Q: You said that McLaren was willing to help Honda. Do you consider the option of pressing the FIA ​​to unfreeze the dimensions and weights of certain components of the power unit, which can no longer be changed despite the freedom of tokens?
E. BOULLIER: "I think the current legislation has enough freedom to do a good job." One of the problems we have is that this hybrid technology is fairly new for everyone, even after two or three years, To people, like Mercedes, to gain performance but not necessarily because of the combustion, but because of their way of managing energy during the lap. That is why catching up with them takes time. "

http://soymotor.com/articulos/entrevist ... nso-930734 :!:

godlameroso

That's resonant frequency 100% you can feel it through good headphones.
Saishū kōnā

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

Craigy wrote:
Whilst the sound we are familiar with sounds great like a devil, this changing gears in 5th 6th and 7th is awful!! [urlhttps://youtu.be/_RPtcv35b1U[/url]
Agreed.Crackpot theory: Honda are using the ERS-K to provide a quick torque fix to rev-match the engine to the gearbox, and that's currently failing for some control reason, meaning that the engagement is very harsh.
imo not crackpot
the K is geared to the crankshaft about 3:1 ie if unenergised its inertia substantially degrades and/or slows the shift

it is presumably energised ie continuously controlled to contribute as far as it can to emulate the ICE control for shift performance
ie momentary generator action to reduce its rpm as quickly as possible with upshift, minimising disruption in smoothness and speed of the shift
and similarly momentary motor action to increase its rpm as quickly as possible with downshift

if there was no spare energy in the ES the system would not work as intended
for this situation the fallback would be slower settings of the ICE and gearbox response to the shift demand
without the fallback (when needed) the shifts would show mechanical distress
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 08 Mar 2017, 17:55, edited 2 times in total.

flexcon
flexcon

godlameroso wrote:That's resonant frequency 100% you can feel it through good headphones.
i thought the same actually as a theory which, means accute high vibrations ( Its freakin louder than anything ) which is what the issue was with the engine being discussed here ?? Could it be off throttle is the issue?

godlameroso

Craigy wrote:

Whilst the sound we are familiar with sounds great like a devil, this changing gears in 5th 6th and 7th is awful!!

https://youtu.be/_RPtcv35b1U
Agreed.

Crackpot theory: Honda are using the ERS-K to provide a quick torque fix to rev-match the engine to the gearbox, and that's currently failing for some control reason, meaning that the engagement is very harsh.
They're doing something alright.

Let me put it this way, and I'm paraphrasing now.

If you overthink something, you'll never get that thing done.
If you understand what this means, you'll understand why Honda is in the situation it's in now. The effort they've made to catch up is incredibly impressive, they are really pushing the limits of what's possible in more ways than one.

If this season reminds you of 2015, then maybe that's justified, because they are taking literally the same approach, albeit a more pragmatic one. There is a lot of confidence that what Honda have made has serious potential, it just needs to be unlocked. Yes it's bitterly disappointing after 2 years of a concept they were locked into, that they find themselves with the same teething issues as on year one. However it's not the same as 2015 they're not dealing with dozens of issues, it's more localized this time, although yes a completely new architecture means 2015 like teething troubles, until this one gets sorted out they have no choice but to keep trying new things.
Saishū kōnā

isullivan
isullivan

flexcon
flexcon

Final video from myself today

Really noticeable between Honda ferrari and renault

the ferrari of 2016 is almost exactly like the Honda babble where as the 2017 renault is so clean, i mean really clean.

Sounding like that all week

https://youtu.be/QYocJUrS4Dg

Is it 100% they are shutting down cylinders?

Sasha
Sasha

What I heard from HRD and my thoughts.

The past year, R&D teams have been working on different PU designs and a team working on CC/TC.

They picked the most radical design because that was going to be the only way to surpass MB in future.(2018)
(Honda and Mclaren knew this year they wasn't going to win a GP) They could of went the safe way with the TC in the rear and still be slower than MB,Ferrari and RB.

The beginning of the season could be hell, by mid-season better than last year and by end of season...knocking on the door with a chance of a win.

kasio
kasio

after this and youtube clip added imho they are addressing slow downshift problem from last year. if anyona else noticed comments from alonso! i am excited.

makecry
makecry

Sasha wrote:What I heard from HRD and my thoughts.

The past year, R&D teams have been working on different PU designs and a team working on CC/TC.

They picked the most radical design because that was going to be the only way to surpass MB in future.(2018)
(Honda and Mclaren knew this year they wasn't going to win a GP) They could of went the safe way with the TC in the rear and still be slower than MB,Ferrari and RB.

The beginning of the season could be hell, by mid-season better than last year and by end of season...knocking on the door with a chance of a win.
Radical design in terms of what?

Sasha
Sasha

makecry wrote:

CC/TC/ER(whole PU design)

BosF1
BosF1

Thank you for sharing!

makecry
makecry

Sasha wrote:
makecry wrote:

CC/TC/ER(whole PU design)
Yeah well lets see. It's the same old story lol. It's a joke now.

kasio
kasio

they have new modification installed. https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 5613071360 and that downshift sound is from that one!