Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
GoranF1
GoranF1

Re: Honda Power Unit

tom101 wrote:Spanish press published
2017 Honda engine was running with 50hp less than 2016 spec.
(Detuned of course)

Also vibrations causes electrical problems.

http://soymotor.com/noticias/lobato-mcl ... 016-931184
what do you mean "detuned of course" ? nowhere in the article does it say its detuned?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

Tommy Cookers wrote:
as others have said .....
crank stiffness is fixed at a conservative level by rules on minimum pin and main journal diameters ? (hollowing could evade this, but why do it ?)
block and head/cambox stiffness is vital (as Honda and Cosworth have found earlier)
there are at least a couple reasons for hollowing the crank - lowering the inertia being the most obvious one.
Also this
http://www.grandprixengines.co.uk/Note_71.pdf

Dimi
Dimi

I cant understand how vibrations affect electronic systems and why is so difficult for an automotive manufacturer to solve this.
- vibrations affect connectors?
- cause cold joints to cirquits?
- affect rotating parts of other electrical devices like altenators -mguh?
finally how is possible not to have discovered vibration problems on test beds?

alexa
alexa

fiohaa wrote:
alexa wrote:

They where down on power even then because they where using Mobile fuel ,and not petronas , so they had around 30HP less then Mercedes had.
do you have a source for that claim?

EDIT: Found this from a sky f1 article, mark huges:

The necessity for the engine and fuel to be developed together in this formula was underlined last year when McLaren ran Mercedes engines as customers but was contracted to run Mobil fuel. Despite identical engines to the works cars, the McLarens were often as much as 40 horsepower down.

doesnt matter. but still - do you honestly think if they knew in 2014 that this is how bad things would be in 2015/2016/2017, do you really think they'd have still switched? I doubt they had a 5 year plan, more like 3 years, and they are well off target even with that.
It's easy to say now which option is better. I don't think it's bad to have Honda PU,no doubt thay can develop good engine it's just they should have given them more time, at least 5 years for development before they were introduced. Now we see it's not just engine it's mindset integration, and better understanding between partners.

As EB once said
They are trying to build a competitive power unit, but they do not have a Formula One culture.
‘They are a big, successful company and they have their own ways of doing things. To devise a power unit in Japan is a challenge. That is why Mercedes decided to make theirs in England.
‘We need a greater transfer of knowledge. They need to take on board the Formula One culture and to integrate that at all levels. You need to be fast in developing, as fast as F1 moves. Process, procurement, both need to be looked at.’

AmateurExpert
AmateurExpert

Dimi wrote:I cant understand how vibrations affect electronic systems and why is so difficult for an automotive manufacturer to solve this.
Though - has it really been confirmed that the failures are electrical (and if so, which type exactly?) and that vibrations are the cause? There have been so many reports based on rumour or speculation.

If the electrical failures are down to control electronics sensing a fault or otherwise transitioning into an erroneous state, I wonder if there might be problems with electromagnetic compatibility - F1 cars can be susceptible to electromagnetic interference. How much EMC testing can/does the team perform with the engine & car at full tilt?

I'm stating the obvious, but just in case: the modern F1 PU is very complex, so it's a challenge to ensure that all aspects are adequately tested and checked, and it's likely that the team has cut back on time & resources in some testing areas in order to focus on other aspects of the projects. Also - even with significant testing, the probablistic element will never go away entirely as they are working at the cutting edge with minimised safety margins.

radosav
radosav

GoranF1 wrote:
(Detuned of course)

what do you mean "detuned of course" ? nowhere in the article does it say its detuned?
Alonso said it was detuned during last week test.

GoranF1
GoranF1

radosav wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
(Detuned of course)

Alonso said it was detuned during last week test.
During 2015 and 2016 tests and first races they said the same....

luke352
luke352

Dimi wrote:I cant understand how vibrations affect electronic systems and why is so difficult for an automotive manufacturer to solve this.
Quite easy to see the vibrations being missed on a test bed. Although it has the same mounting points those mounting points are attached to very solid framework which is then probably secured into a concrete slab. All this would act to dampen the overall level of the vibrations. You then turn around and bolt the engine into a very light although stiff structure, this has a very poor ability to assist in dampening the vibrations. The result is the overall level of the vibrations are higher then what they probably saw on the dyno rig.

GoranF1
GoranF1

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

Regarding the vibration issue, Hasegawa said regarding week 1 test that they needed to look at strengthening "that" area of the PU.

Didn't say what "that" was, but is it a structural weakness of "that" area reason for the vibration? Perhaps the Japanese use of the word strengthen means that it's the area to improve generally.

godlameroso

fellowhoodlums wrote:Regarding the vibration issue, Hasegawa said regarding week 1 test that they needed to look at strengthening "that" area of the PU.

Didn't say what "that" was, but is it a structural weakness of "that" area reason for the vibration? Perhaps the Japanese use of the word strengthen means that it's the area to improve generally.
The vibration breaks that which needs strengthening. By strengthening "it", hopefully vibrations no longer damage it, and hopefully can be done without increasing weight, and if possible reducing it.
Saishū kōnā

alexa
alexa

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... led-winter

Does anyone know how much money Honda is providing to McLaren, besides free engines?

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

godlameroso wrote:
fellowhoodlums wrote:Regarding the vibration issue, Hasegawa said regarding week 1 test that they needed to look at strengthening "that" area of the PU.

The vibration breaks that which needs strengthening. By strengthening "it", hopefully vibrations no longer damage it, and hopefully can be done without increasing weight, and if possible reducing it.
ok, so vibration isn't an issue?

So what exactly needs strengthening? or is that where we are speculating?

godlameroso

Vibration is an issue for that part of the power unit. You will always have vibration from a number of sources, exhaust sound, the rotating components inside the engine, the rotating components outside the engine, the chassis vibrating due to NVH, all those things cause vibrations. Some are worse than others, a combination of these vibrations is causing problems.

I don't know exactly what it is, because I don't work for Honda(contrary to my wishes), this is just the logical conclusion from his statements. I don't think Hasegawa is lying, in fact he's been quite up front. Of course the exact details will never be publicly revealed, so all we really can do is speculate.

I mean for all we know the power unit really is that bad, or it could just be a few reliability tweaks from being decently competitive. We don't know how much fuel McLaren was carrying, we just know they were going slowly, either they're hiding their true pace or they're really that bad. I guess we'll see.
Saishū kōnā

peterg
peterg

Is variable valve control allowed under the current regulations and would some sort of electro actuation of valves provide a gain in efficiency during cylinder cutting?

Given the rpm I assume full electro valve actuation would be near impossible. But would it be possible to have multiple cams and switch actuation to change firing order or deactivate a cylinder.

Such a system strikes me as being subject to electrical noise and having the potential to cause odd firing and vibration.