Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
ncassi22
ncassi22

Re: Honda Power Unit

They also posted this as well as other crap so probably not the best source.
https://twitter.com/tecnicaf1/status/845330590345953280

PlatinumZealot

Hasegawa himself did indeed say that it is something they have programmed into the upshifts to prevent problems. I am not too sure whose side the problems stem from but they gotta cut the revs and power up top for this weekend if they wanna finish the race..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

proteus

If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

GoranF1
GoranF1

ncassi22 wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 20:50
They also posted this as well as other crap so probably not the best source.

https://twitter.com/tecnicaf1/status/845330590345953280
Yeah i agree...its more like 120hp.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Jolle
Jolle

Just thinking about it, aren't we (and the press) glorifying Honda's qualities as an engine supplier to much?

Looking at the numbers, last time Honda had a real race winning engine was 25 years ago (with Senna/McLaren) and since then they were in F1 most of the time with just one race win (Button in Hungary).

godlameroso

If they're letting us see that much, then that means they already have something better in the pipeline.

The potential of the car is supposed to be 3 seconds better than 2016, and they're only .7 better, there is a lot of unrealized potential. McLaren always develops the car well, Honda has relentless development as well, I have no idea why things are the way the are but this is the dilemma. Hopefully the race pace evens out, although it looks like they're slow there too, leader race pace is in the 1:27's and 28's but everyone else is in the 30's or 29's. In McLaren's case they've barely improved their race pace from last year so I don't know where Alonso gets the notion that the cars are more fun to drive when they're barely any faster?
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

The compressor still looks quite small compared to Mercedes. :?
Nice detailing though.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

makecry
makecry

godlameroso wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 22:15
If they're letting us see that much, then that means they already have something better in the pipeline.

The potential of the car is supposed to be 3 seconds better than 2016, and they're only .7 better, there is a lot of unrealized potential. McLaren always develops the car well, Honda has relentless development as well, I have no idea why things are the way the are but this is the dilemma. Hopefully the race pace evens out, although it looks like they're slow there too, leader race pace is in the 1:27's and 28's but everyone else is in the 30's or 29's. In McLaren's case they've barely improved their race pace from last year so I don't know where Alonso gets the notion that the cars are more fun to drive when they're barely any faster?
There is no proof that they have something better. I mean they have conceded the hardware is the issue even before the first race. It's just embarrassing.

godlameroso

Haven't you seen all the articles around the web of Honda planning to introduce a new engine in two months or around Monaco?

"So I am developing an improved power unit, but it will take some time to complete. I would like to have it finished and in the car within two months." -Hasegawa

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hond ... 85582/?s=1
Last edited by godlameroso on 26 Mar 2017, 01:30, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

GhostF1
GhostF1

Hasegawa has said plenty of times that the season start target for this year's PU was to be at Merc/Ferrari Abu Dhabi 2016 level.

He has since said they can't fully realise the potential dude to reliability issues. However, it's also been shown they have the advantage over the 2016 Ferrari PU. So as far as I can tell, ignoring the rubbish media fanfare, they are relatively on track with the initial targets. The reliability is what is causing this sore relationship talk. Give it a few months. We'll see what happens.

godlameroso

GhostF1 wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 01:30
Hasegawa has said plenty of times that the season start target for this year's PU was to be at Merc/Ferrari Abu Dhabi 2016 level.

He has since said they can't fully realise the potential dude to reliability issues. However, it's also been shown they have the advantage over the 2016 Ferrari PU. So as far as I can tell, ignoring the rubbish media fanfare, they are relatively on track with the initial targets. The reliability is what is causing this sore relationship talk. Give it a few months. We'll see what happens.
Even if they are at Mercedes 2016 levels, which they're not because they couldn't even match last year's pole time(1:23.837), they're still behind because 2017 Mercedes is that much better than 2016. In fact had they had this time for qualifying last year they wouldn't have even made it to the second row of the grid. It's a bitter pill to swallow.

The 2017 car just manages to edge out Verstappen in a car with a 2015 engine...
Saishū kōnā

makecry
makecry

godlameroso wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 01:27
Haven't you seen all the articles around the web of Honda planning to introduce a new engine in two months or around Monaco?

"So I am developing an improved power unit, but it will take some time to complete. I would like to have it finished and in the car within two months." -Hasegawa

I have seen them. There have been plenty of promises from Honda. Too many.

They are promising a new engine even before the first race . They had months of time to come up with something decent , they didn't.

I will believe it when I see it.

godlameroso

makecry wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 01:43
godlameroso wrote:

They are promising a new engine even before the first race . They had months of time to come up with something decent , they didn't.

You don't really get to see anything unless you're working on the engine itself :wink:
Saishū kōnā

makecry
makecry

godlameroso wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 01:47
makecry wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 01:43
godlameroso wrote:

You don't really get to see anything unless you're working on the engine itself :wink:
Well we get to see the results :P

Ain't that the only thing that matters? :D

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

Anyone else noticed what seems to be a hydraulic actuator on the compressor inlet ? I wonder if they might be using variable pre swirl vanes. I am pretty sure honda used them in the past in motorsport (motorcycles ?).