Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
dren

Re: Honda Power Unit

godlameroso wrote:
30 Mar 2017, 13:07
This was expected, seems they can't harvest enough electrical energy, just like in 2015. Makes sense, it was mentioned one of the problems was lack of energy to drive the turbine, due to the TJI allowing more heat dilution.

China only has one long straight though, the other DRS zone is kind of short.

From turn 3-6 not too long, from 10-11 again, then the big long straight, short straight then pit straight.
If the TJI isn't working properly, or not at all at the moment, then the entire PU is being operated in a condition it wasn't designed for. Once it is, I expect everything to have a domino effect and improve overall.
Honda!

loner

from many things i read...
the car is very light weight the PU is lighter than other PU'S , they can't run TJI now because its destroying the pistons
they have a vibration problem related with up shifting the trans
the new head and pistons to run the TJI is in the process and to be installed soon
regarding the post Bahrain test days i'd put my money on the Russian GP to see a competitive Mclaren-Honda
para bellum.

BosF1
BosF1

loner wrote:
30 Mar 2017, 13:45
regarding the post Bahrain test days i'd put my money on the Russian GP to see a competitive Mclaren-Honda
Depends on what you deem as competitive. As fighting for the top 10 is your definition of competitive, than you might be right and can put your money on that. But if your definition of competitive is fighting for top 6, than you might want to keep some spare change in your pocket.

GoranF1
GoranF1

According to AMuS it's just a matter of time when Sauber announces the switch to Honda.
It would be great if it was right now as Honda needs as much data as possible ASAP.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

wuzak
wuzak

godlameroso wrote:
This was expected, seems they can't harvest enough electrical energy, just like in 2015. Makes sense, it was mentioned one of the problems was lack of energy to drive the turbine, due to the TJI allowing more heat dilution.

From turn 3-6 not too long, from 10-11 again, then the big long straight, short straight then pit straight.
This "the engine is too efficient to recover energy" seems like BS and grasping at straws.

Ferrari have clearly improved efficiency over each of the last 3 years, yet they are recovering more energy than ever.

wuzak
wuzak

etusch wrote:
30 Mar 2017, 11:44
Do you think that Honda just says use my engine in same price with ferrari in current situation? They must offer something to atract the teams using Honda PU .
Don't you think that ferrari and merc engines reach end of their potential? May be they will try to use same architecture for next year too and they will realize at tests that Honda and Renault has more power on PU Which are switch New architecture this year.
Ferrari and Merc PUs are so far ahead of Honda it's not funny. And so will Renault, in all likelihood, when they sort their ERS.

Ferrari are rumoured to have a major upgrade coming this season.

Regarding architecture, as in layout of components, Ferrari are using the same as Renault and Mercedes are using the same as Honda (probably that should be around the other way).

And the components are, no doubt, all new.

The main thing Honda can offer Sauber is money. Or a ridiculously cheap PU price. Otherwise it makes no sense to Sauber who, let's face it, could probably beat McLaren if they had the 2017 Ferrari PU.

wuzak
wuzak

GoranF1 wrote:
30 Mar 2017, 14:48
According to AMuS it's just a matter of time when Sauber announces the switch to Honda.
It would be great if it was right now as Honda needs as much data as possible ASAP.
I don't care about Honda so much.

I am concerned as to what it would do to Sauber.

dren

wuzak wrote:
30 Mar 2017, 14:56
GoranF1 wrote:

I don't think it'll do much to Sauber considering where they have been the last few years. I do think it'll be interesting to potentially have a measuring stick to Mclaren's "we would win with a Merc PU" chassis.
Honda!

loner

wuzak wrote:
30 Mar 2017, 14:55
if they had the 2017 Ferrari PU.
how many HP Mercedes and Ferrari gained in 2017 PU from 2016 PU?
para bellum.

godlameroso

There are claims that peak power is close to 1,000hp.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

wuzak wrote:
30 Mar 2017, 14:50
godlameroso wrote:

This "the engine is too efficient to recover energy" seems like BS and grasping at straws.

Ferrari have clearly improved efficiency over each of the last 3 years, yet they are recovering more energy than ever.
There is a balance between energy to the crank and energy for the turbine, getting the right balance is easier when you're not starting from scratch.
Saishū kōnā

wuzak
wuzak

dren wrote:
30 Mar 2017, 14:59
wuzak wrote:
30 Mar 2017, 14:56
GoranF1 wrote:

I don't think it'll do much to Sauber considering where they have been the last few years. I do think it'll be interesting to potentially have a measuring stick to Mclaren's "we would win with a Merc PU" chassis.
The 2014 PU was bad and it nearly killed them off as a team.

wuzak
wuzak

loner wrote:
30 Mar 2017, 15:06
wuzak wrote:
More than Honda.

loner

wuzak wrote:
30 Mar 2017, 15:19
loner wrote:
30 Mar 2017, 15:06
wuzak wrote:
More than Honda.
you sure about that ?!! :mrgreen:
you have a speculation about numbers ? 30 , 40 more , less ?!!
para bellum.

HPD

More rumors
As an independent manufacturer, Ilmor will participate in the Paris meeting. After the separation from Renault works ex-Mercedes-Motorpapst Mario Illien after information from AUTO BILD MOTORSPORT now for McLaren. Apparently, the British tradition, which is desperate for the new Honda engine, can imagine its own engine.

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/formel-1 ... 24171.html