Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
dren

Re: Honda Power Unit

godlameroso wrote:
07 Apr 2017, 19:02
Even more if the piston itself forms part of the pre-chamber. Then the flame jets can be incorporated into the piston crown.
That would be an interesting design...
Honda!

godlameroso

dren wrote:
07 Apr 2017, 19:16
godlameroso wrote:
Even more if the piston itself forms part of the pre-chamber. Then the flame jets can be incorporated into the piston crown.
Wazari hinted at this some 80 pages back ;)
Saishū kōnā

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

FW17 wrote:
07 Apr 2017, 12:52
Are mass dampers allowed t prevent drivetrain resonance?
As in torsional rubber dampers ? They are allowed but not very useful - they can only dampen (effectively splitting the resonating mode into 2 modes with smaller amplitudes) the frequency they are tuned for.

In comparison a viscous damper will dampen any mode (provided the shear rate stays within reasonable limits) while a pendulum damper will dampen a whole order.

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

FW17 wrote:
05 Apr 2017, 08:52
Two types of pre-chamber spark plugs were sampled, i.e. a 3kΩ resistor pre-chamber spark plug and a non-resistor spark plug. The resistor pre-chamber spark plug has four injection orifices on the front end surface, while the non-resistor spark plug has three slightly smaller holes on the front end surface and three tiny holes on the side cylindrical surface for a better scavenging effect. A NGK resistor spark plug (5 kΩ) with a v-groove center electrode and a J-type ground electrode was also tested to benchmark the pre-chamber spark plugs.

Figure 1 gives the ignition flame images at 5ms after spark initiation for premixed methane-air mixtures with an excess air ratio of 1.6. It is clear that the ignition flame propagation for the two pre-chamber spark plugs was faster than the NGK spark plug. The non-resistor pre-chamber spark plug produced much faster flame jet due to the increased spark energy. The wrinkled flame front accelerated the combustion speed.
In the other experiment, we compared the ignition processes for the MXTL resistor pre-chamber spark plug, the Tongxin’s iridium fine electrode spark plug (EIX-BKR6 11) and thick electrode spark plug (E-BKR6). The excess air ratio of methane-air mixture was set at stoichiometric. Figure 2 shows the flame

images at 2ms and 4ms after spark initiation. It can be seen that the iridium fine electrode spark plug spark plug can produce a faster flame kernel growth than the thick electrode spark plug. The flame front
of the MXTL pre-chamber spark plug appears later than the other spark plugs, but the post-ignition flame propagation was accelerated due to the turbulent flame jet effect.
The ignition performance of non-resistor pre-chamber spark plug can be further enhanced via capacitor discharge. Figure 3 gives the flame images with enhanced capacitor discharge at excess air
ratio of 1.0, 1.2 and 1.4 respectively. It can be seen that the capacitor discharge significantly accelerated the flame jet velocity; hence it increased the ignition flame propagation especially prominent at lean mixtures.
How are these prechamber spark plugs different to TJI? Is it just the flame length and duration are longer? Or do they offer better control?
Where did this text come from? It seems to be incomplete and I'm curious to read more of it.

JuanjoTS
JuanjoTS

godlameroso

JuanjoTS wrote:
07 Apr 2017, 23:56
New FIA report.

https://goo.gl/photos/qxoF4UqifnjeLsu49
New gearbox for Alonso...
Surely McLaren couldn't have designed a new box in such a short time.
Saishū kōnā

JuanjoTS
JuanjoTS

godlameroso wrote:
07 Apr 2017, 23:59
JuanjoTS wrote:
07 Apr 2017, 23:56
New FIA report.

https://goo.gl/photos/qxoF4UqifnjeLsu49
New gearbox for Alonso...
Surely McLaren couldn't have designed a new box in such a short time.
I do not think so, but McLaren usually works well and fast, they have rolled little and slowly ... I really do not know what to think...Maybe it is not a complete redesign of the gearbox, they may have changed something in particular.
Already lacking little to leave doubts, .... if it has been a changed by rupture or to improve.
Stoffel has the new TC and MGU-H.

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Tommy Cookers wrote:
07 Apr 2017, 11:57
J.A.W. wrote:Bear in mind, the affordable/available BRP ETEC DI 'voice coil' system - is rated for use up to 10,000 rpm...
...& that - on a 2-stroke, which is equivalent to a 4-stroke turning 20,000 rpm...
no it's not equivalent
because injection 'speed' ie time window available falls at higher rpm independent of number of injection events per cycle or per rev

unless we are happy to inject fuel rather early relative to combustion ?
Except that in the 2-stroke, the DFI event has to take place in the short period after the exhaust port is closed by the piston prior to TDC, to avoid loss of charge/excess emission.

The electromagnetic 'voice coil' injector does allow sufficient control to enable heavy fuel use in
spark ignition engines for military purposes..

2-strokes do generally run with the ignition advance closer to TDC, as well..

http://www.evinrudenation.com/owner-zon ... l-grannis/

Current F1 regs closely stipulate injection parameters however, & AFAIR the voice coil type isn't allowed..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Singabule
Singabule

godlameroso wrote:
07 Apr 2017, 19:19
dren wrote:
07 Apr 2017, 19:16
godlameroso wrote:
Wazari hinted at this some 80 pages back ;)
And thats why Ferrari develop advanced 3D printing along with their vendor. Well, I miss wazari so much :cry:

FW17

Mudflap wrote:
07 Apr 2017, 21:50
FW17 wrote:
07 Apr 2017, 12:52
Are mass dampers allowed t prevent drivetrain resonance?
As in torsional rubber dampers ? They are allowed but not very useful - they can only dampen (effectively splitting the resonating mode into 2 modes with smaller amplitudes) the frequency they are tuned for.

In comparison a viscous damper will dampen any mode (provided the shear rate stays within reasonable limits) while a pendulum damper will dampen a whole order.

I meant a device similar to what was used last in f1 to dampen tyre oscillation following riding a kerb.
I guess that is similar to the pendulum.

Would a viscous coupling on drivetrain fall in the category of torque converter? Is that even possible for racing?

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

FW17 wrote:
08 Apr 2017, 04:39

Would a viscous coupling on drivetrain fall in the category of torque converter? Is that even possible for racing?
No, not a torque converter - its a type of torsional damper, using viscous fluid..

http://www.dragzine.com/tech-stories/wh ... ur-engine/
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

FW17

3jawchuck wrote:
07 Apr 2017, 22:12
FW17 wrote:
05 Apr 2017, 08:52
Two types of pre-chamber spark plugs were sampled, i.e. a 3kΩ resistor pre-chamber spark plug and a non-resistor spark plug. The resistor pre-chamber spark plug has four injection orifices on the front end surface, while the non-resistor spark plug has three slightly smaller holes on the front end surface and three tiny holes on the side cylindrical surface for a better scavenging effect. A NGK resistor spark plug (5 kΩ) with a v-groove center electrode and a J-type ground electrode was also tested to benchmark the pre-chamber spark plugs.

Figure 1 gives the ignition flame images at 5ms after spark initiation for premixed methane-air mixtures with an excess air ratio of 1.6. It is clear that the ignition flame propagation for the two pre-chamber spark plugs was faster than the NGK spark plug. The non-resistor pre-chamber spark plug produced much faster flame jet due to the increased spark energy. The wrinkled flame front accelerated the combustion speed.
In the other experiment, we compared the ignition processes for the MXTL resistor pre-chamber spark plug, the Tongxin’s iridium fine electrode spark plug (EIX-BKR6 11) and thick electrode spark plug (E-BKR6). The excess air ratio of methane-air mixture was set at stoichiometric. Figure 2 shows the flame

images at 2ms and 4ms after spark initiation. It can be seen that the iridium fine electrode spark plug spark plug can produce a faster flame kernel growth than the thick electrode spark plug. The flame front
of the MXTL pre-chamber spark plug appears later than the other spark plugs, but the post-ignition flame propagation was accelerated due to the turbulent flame jet effect.
The ignition performance of non-resistor pre-chamber spark plug can be further enhanced via capacitor discharge. Figure 3 gives the flame images with enhanced capacitor discharge at excess air
ratio of 1.0, 1.2 and 1.4 respectively. It can be seen that the capacitor discharge significantly accelerated the flame jet velocity; hence it increased the ignition flame propagation especially prominent at lean mixtures.
How are these prechamber spark plugs different to TJI? Is it just the flame length and duration are longer? Or do they offer better control?
Where did this text come from? It seems to be incomplete and I'm curious to read more of it.
http://www.apyeco.com/index.php/3-eco-f ... park-plugs

GhostF1
GhostF1

Thoughts on Zak Brown chatting with Andy Cowell during FP3?

Especially as recently they've been firm Honda is their partner and they will sort things out together.
So I doubt it's open chats about supplying them, I don't hink Andy is the one to make that decision.

godlameroso

Probably talking about how good the Ferrari engine is.

In other news McLaren was 3 seconds off the pace in Melbourne, they're 2.5 seconds off the pace in a longer track, with a much longer straight, so I guess we can consider this progress. I didn't see any McLaren onboards, do they still have the grinding upshifts?
Saishū kōnā

JonoNic

godlameroso wrote:Probably talking about how good the Ferrari engine is.

In other news McLaren was 3 seconds off the pace in Melbourne, they're 2.5 seconds off the pace in a longer track, with a much longer straight, so I guess we can consider this progress. I didn't see any McLaren onboards, do they still have the grinding upshifts?
Only 11kph slower at the traps. I agree it seems like progress.

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.