Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Re: Honda Power Unit

Sasha wrote:
09 Apr 2017, 17:37
Maybe Spain because it will be on the second PU used for the season.
If they have a better PU ready they can introduce it now and just relegate this first PU to practice duty only.

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

Would it not be better for honda to withhold upgrades until they have a competitive package ?

If they just bring in a new engine with minor upgrades they are essentially stuck with it and the current one for half of the races.. And it's not like they are extraordinarily reliable either - they can't realistically hope for more than 5 races on a single engine.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

etusch wrote:
09 Apr 2017, 10:01
This drive shaft problem may be caused by engine sudden tork load during alo's re overtake affort to sainz.
Or when ALO went off track and had the left rear on the astroturf and the right rear on the tarmac and slammed the accelerator. Those type of unequal loadings kill driveline components.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Mudflap wrote:
09 Apr 2017, 18:36
Would it not be better for honda to withhold upgrades until they have a competitive package ?

If they just bring in a new engine with minor upgrades they are essentially stuck with it and the current one for half of the races.. And it's not like they are extraordinarily reliable either - they can't realistically hope for more than 5 races on a single engine.

Define "competitive package" please. ALO is just outside of Q3, so a decent jump in power maybe 50hp could possibly get them into 11th or maybe Q3 and the lower fuel they would have to carry could allow them to get sorely needed points. Regardless they have a lot of work to do.

HPD

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
09 Apr 2017, 18:38
etusch wrote:
This drive shaft problem may be caused by engine sudden tork load during alo's re overtake affort to sainz.
Or when ALO went off track and had the left rear on the astroturf and the right rear on the tarmac and slammed the accelerator. Those type of unequal loadings kill driveline components.
Alonso vs Sainz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfxNOODUg9I

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

HPD wrote:
09 Apr 2017, 19:14
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
09 Apr 2017, 18:38
etusch wrote:
Alonso vs Sainz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfxNOODUg9I
yes, right then, did he not stop a lap or two later?

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
09 Apr 2017, 18:41
Mudflap wrote:
09 Apr 2017, 18:36

Define "competitive package" please. ALO is just outside of Q3, so a decent jump in power maybe 50hp could possibly get them into 11th or maybe Q3 and the lower fuel they would have to carry could allow them to get sorely needed points. Regardless they have a lot of work to do.
By competitive I mean on par with Renault both power and reliability wise.
It looks as though they have a couple issues to sort out - some unspecified head/valve problems as well as the driveline vibration (after today I am not convinced it's honda's fault).

Anyway whatever their problems really are I am hoping that they are addressed properly with the next iteration, allowing honda to catch up throughout the second half of the season. Stacking band aids on top of band aids for minor gains will just make it worse - it would be just another house of cards to collapse, prompting another redesign the following season.

toraabe
toraabe

With more power they have to change the final drive. I am sure because the current one is way too short if they want to be able to be faster

hollus

It is only shorter to the tune of some 5km/h, though.
https://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewt ... 79#p689979
If they don't expect to match the power of the Mercedes and the Ferrari, they might be OK. No reason not to use the gear ratio change allowed this season, though.
Rivals, not enemies.

McMrocks
McMrocks

Isnt it possible that Alonsos re-overtake was due to the driveshaft failure and losing MGU-K breaking power?

etusch

toraabe wrote:
09 Apr 2017, 19:51
With more power they have to change the final drive. I am sure because the current one is way too short if they want to be able to be faster
İf they are shifting earlier than planned rpm because of vibrations and in the same time if there is lack of power, those both is cause of low max speed. Not last drive.
When they achieve to have expected power and reach to rpms they want, I am sure 30 km is not need so much rpm. I know there are forum members can calculate this, I am just giving example, 30 km speed does not need 300 rpm or may be just about 300 rpm. İf they have 12.100 now and without vibration problem if they have 12.500 rpm they could have highest max speed.

gruntguru
gruntguru

Frank_ wrote:
07 Apr 2017, 17:26
the chamber will be flushed during the (tdc) valve overlap period wont it ? with some help from a shaped piston crown
No. The holes are quite small relative t the pre-chamber volume. The pre-chamber empties down to exhaust pressure during the exhaust stroke and fills with fresh charge during the compression stroke. The retained exhaust gas is less than 10% of the fresh charge squeezed in.
je suis charlie

FW17

Can the inlet valve open and close the side of the pre chamber with the fuel injection actually directed into the inlet manifold?

hollus

etusch wrote:
09 Apr 2017, 22:55
toraabe wrote:
İf they are shifting earlier than planned rpm because of vibrations and in the same time if there is lack of power, those both is cause of low max speed. Not last drive.
When they achieve to have expected power and reach to rpms they want, I am sure 30 km is not need so much rpm. I know there are forum members can calculate this, I am just giving example, 30 km speed does not need 300 rpm or may be just about 300 rpm. İf they have 12.100 now and without vibration problem if they have 12.500 rpm they could have highest max speed.
The problem is the opposite, Etusch. They are always running too many revs, shifting later than normal. They basically stay between 11000 and 12600 most of the time, while optimum power would be something like 10400-12000. The (resonance?) problems appear around 10500rpm, apparently.
So, if and when they fix it and get the power back, as 8th gear is now, to reach 330 km/h they need to be at 12000 rpm, but by that point, they have lost significant power.
Note: 30km/h is approximately 1200 rpm.
Rivals, not enemies.

etusch

hollus wrote:
10 Apr 2017, 08:07
etusch wrote:
09 Apr 2017, 22:55
toraabe wrote:
The problem is the opposite, Etusch. They are always running too many revs, shifting later than normal. They basically stay between 11000 and 12600 most of the time, while optimum power would be something like 10400-12000. The (resonance?) problems appear around 10500rpm, apparently.
So, if and when they fix it and get the power back, as 8th gear is now, to reach 330 km/h they need to be at 12000 rpm, but by that point, they have lost significant power.
Note: 30km/h is approximately 1200 rpm.
Thank you for correction