Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
BosF1
BosF1

Re: Honda Power Unit

max_speed wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 09:53
GoranF1 wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 09:40
Honda suspects sand in oil to couse Bahrain problems.
they had to blame something foriegn (take no accountability ) , what better than sand. how come sand reached inside oil ?. just usual guess work. i guess we all are done with their excuses. they suspect does not work , they must find and fix exact root cause
Well, they didn't have those problems in the previous 2 race weekends. So what is the difference between Melbourne / Beijing and Bahrein? I can think of the warmer weather and sand, although there are probably more differences.

Thunder

So according to AMuS the Engine sounds different today ("more Powerful"), upshifts still terrible.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Singabule
Singabule

wuzak wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 09:11
FW17 wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 08:38
WTF!!!!

Why is David Salters from Ferrari at HPD instead of HRD
They were struggling first!
Honda Performance Development, based in US creating indy engine and aero. Honda Research n Development in Sakura, japan create F1 engine
*edit: sorry, this is for mclaren111

loner

wuzak wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 03:10
loner wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 00:58
mclaren spent more than 22 years with Mercedes achieved 1 (one) title so what the fuss for ? 100m + free engines + paying ALO wages
That is not correct.

1998 - WDC, WCC
1999 - WDC
2008 - WDC
ok sorry let me rephrase myself mclaren achieved only one WCC title while with Mercedes for 22 years. :mrgreen:
para bellum.

Craigy

Testing update: Stoffel has so far done 43 laps with a best of 1:33.190 early on. It looks like the new engine spec can actually run reliably for a while at least.

etusch

What about performans/power?

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Who cares? It's running. :lol:

dr_cooke
dr_cooke

MARCA stating (source?) that the main weakness causing most of teh failures this year is down to using ball bearings in the MGUH, instead of hydrodinamic bearings (excuse my english, would you actually call them hydrodinamic bearings?). Not saying that they are so much skilled technically wise in MARCA, the article is plagued with inaccuracies, but may it be possible that HONDA is using ball bearings? (or roller, I do not think MARCA would be able to tell one from the other)

LINK:http://www.marca.com/motor/formula1/201 ... b463b.html

FW17

etusch wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 11:35
What about performans/power?
Full tank hopefully

unagiam
unagiam

dr_cooke wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 11:47
MARCA stating (source?) that the main weakness causing most of teh failures this year is down to using ball bearings in the MGUH, instead of hydrodinamic bearings (excuse my english, would you actually call them hydrodinamic bearings?). Not saying that they are so much skilled technically wise in MARCA, the article is plagued with inaccuracies, but may it be possible that HONDA is using ball bearings? (or roller, I do not think MARCA would be able to tell one from the other)

Interesting article but I will be skeptical with their postings. Before 2016 winter testing they had reported that the ICE from 2016 spec Honda engine would match Mercedes.

Today's running so far looks good.

etusch

Ok 50 laps done, now we need power

HPD

godlameroso

dr_cooke wrote:

Hydrodynamic bearings = journal bearings or the same bearings the crankshaft and rods use. Roller bearings, most likely ceramic bearings as they deal with rotational speeds better than steel cage bearings with lower lubrication requirements, and are non conductive(Important for the mgu-H). The downside is they are a bit more brittle so more sensitive to vibrations.

Engine does sound like it's running closer to TDC (timing advance is not accurate as that only applies to regular engines without fancy combustion tech)
Saishū kōnā

FW17

godlameroso wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 13:28
dr_cooke wrote:

Hydrodynamic bearings = journal bearings or the same bearings the crankshaft and rods use. Roller bearings, most likely ceramic bearings as they deal with rotational speeds better than steel cage bearings with lower lubrication requirements, and are non conductive(Important for the mgu-H). The downside is they are a bit more brittle so more sensitive to vibrations.

Engine does sound like it's running closer to TDC (timing advance is not accurate as that only applies to regular engines without fancy combustion tech)
Why not teflon bearings?

ctdrftna
ctdrftna

Teflon wouldn't stand the heat imo.