Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
gruntguru
gruntguru

Re: Honda Power Unit

JonoNic wrote:
09 May 2017, 07:21
Is it possible to aim the injector and squirt directly into the flame kernel thus creating a similar combustion to tji? . . .
No. That would create a rich zone. The ideal is the Otto cycle - premix all the air and fuel then burn it all as close to TDC as possible.
je suis charlie

john21wall
john21wall

Hey, sorry for replying to this comment, but I want ppl to see this:
I have heard, that renualt will maybe leave f1, and then, RedBull will run honda engines. So they know too, there is no problem with honda- its just this year it isnt that good ;)

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

john21wall wrote:
09 May 2017, 10:25
I have heard, that renualt will maybe leave f1, and then, RedBull will run honda engines. So they know too, there is no problem with honda- its just this year it isnt that good ;)
What's your source?

DVB

3jawchuck wrote:
09 May 2017, 10:53
john21wall wrote:
09 May 2017, 10:25
What's your source?
Pink flying elephants and unicorns...
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

A 'single' injector which squirts (variable volume) - on both down & upstroke - of injection pump cycle mode?
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

max_speed
max_speed

any news on engine update for this GP ?.
I am interested to see if they bring a combustion related update or just reliability upgrades.

JuanjoTS
JuanjoTS

You could use the valves to shape the mini combustion chamber, the whole package would included in it, valves, injector, spark plug ..

https://goo.gl/photos/X7ntzgiFq6etDpJT7

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

max_speed wrote:
09 May 2017, 11:40
I am interested to see if they bring a combustion related update or just reliability upgrades.
Boullier saying it's aero changes and hopefully some better reliability. No talk of any significant engine improvement.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/245335/1/m ... spain.html

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

fellowhoodlums wrote:
09 May 2017, 12:59
max_speed wrote:
09 May 2017, 11:40
Boullier saying it's aero changes and hopefully some better reliability. No talk of any significant engine improvement.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/245335/1/m ... spain.html
Naturally, since he's speaking for McLaren, rather than for Honda..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

godlameroso

JuanjoTS wrote:
09 May 2017, 11:58
You could use the valves to shape the mini combustion chamber, the whole package would included in it, valves, injector, spark plug ..

Interesting, however it's against the rules. Valves and valve seats must be circular and concentric.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

gruntguru wrote:
09 May 2017, 04:37
godlameroso wrote:
08 May 2017, 18:32
gruntguru wrote:
08 May 2017, 04:59
I think the system (TJI) works fine as-is with optimised jet hole diameter.
Would any EGR effects be present, and would one work with or try to eliminate said effects?
There would be some residuals trapped in the pre-chamber but less than 10% of the pre-chamber volume, which itself is less than 2% of total TDC volume so less than 0.2% EGR due to this factor.
What I meant was egr effect used to vary fuel heating, or would an external fuel heater be more precise?

According to Rolf Reitz EGR plays a not insignificant role in fuel heating, and can aid vaporization.
Saishū kōnā

JuanjoTS
JuanjoTS

godlameroso wrote:
09 May 2017, 13:40
JuanjoTS wrote:
09 May 2017, 11:58

Interesting, however it's against the rules. Valves and valve seats must be circular and concentric.
Could also be adapted with concentric and circular valves, the part where the flattened valves should be left, but could work as well.

https://goo.gl/photos/Bg9c21YfteU3xiaD8

godlameroso

What mechanism would activate the valves? Pushrods?
Saishū kōnā

etusch

It looks clever in first sight but I am not sure if it works.
In the other hand, at your design, exhaust valve must be it's usual place. intake valve must be very small and also cause bigger pre chamber. When intake valve opened it must not touch spark plug and/or injector. It may be one intake valve for pre chamber and other one which is bigger than normal, intake valve can be its usual place.
Last edited by etusch on 10 May 2017, 23:22, edited 2 times in total.

siwillems
siwillems

Craigy wrote:
05 May 2017, 11:18
Tommy Cookers wrote:
05 May 2017, 10:56
it's interesting to me that Wazari asks here the question that I asked 5 years ago - why not design around systematically higher rpm ?

eg I suggested that 13000-14800 rpm had some advantages over 10500-12100
mainly 'boost' pressure would be lower ie the supercharging power reduced in greater proportion (eg 23000 would be NA)
the recoverable energy is at least the same at this lower boost
and much less ES energy is used in 'spooling up'

ok at that time I was assuming a mildly lean AFR not very lean
clearly if the very lean TJI or similar suffers at these higher rpm then higher rpm is not on
Parasitic losses from friction are always going to be higher the faster the ICE spins, although I suppose those losses might be smaller in F1 than I expect because of the types of finish used, which reduce friction to a degree unseen in "normal" engines. If the new little Honda ICE has very little internal friction in use, then perhaps that friction concern becomes a lower order than something else.

I'm trying to work out a reason why you would want more PU cycles for the same distance travelled.
Is it easier to run the engine on the absolute limit of knock if you have a larger number of smaller ignition events? Probably.
If the fuel rate remains the same, increasing the amount pm I would of thought would require a leaner a/f ratio and the extra air being pulled into the engine and blown out I would imagine would help spin the turbine faster.

Do others agree?
Da de dum, de da da dum.
Da de dum, de da da duh!!!