Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
BrunoH
BrunoH

Re: Honda Power Unit

how can they --- up so consistently, in this day and age .. its amazing how incompetent they are...

turbof1

BrunoH wrote:
12 May 2017, 11:11
how can they --- up so consistently, in this day and age .. its amazing how incompetent they are...
Yeah see, this is exactly what I warned for, one post up that one! This is not a frustration-release topic. Any posts from here similar to this will be removed.
#AeroFrodo

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

I wouldn't call it consistently. This looks more like a faulty assemblage to me. The amount is so big and so fast after startup. Can't be related to issues they had before. This looks like a stupid mistake but not like something that broke.

BrunoH
BrunoH

yeah i know..its just very frustrating.. but what is it this time? another leak ? electrical? vibration? they are changing the PU.... so must be again something that they cant figure out what it even is!?!?

turbof1

Jef Patat wrote:
12 May 2017, 11:14
I wouldn't call it consistently. This looks more like a faulty assemblage to me. The amount is so big and so fast after startup. Can't be related to issues they had before. This looks like a stupid mistake but not like something that broke.
Definitely looks like a pipe or something similar that came loose. That's way too much oil for just a crack. Luckily, pipes and auxiliaries are allowed to be repaired and/or changed without penalty. So this PU will probably see another day.
#AeroFrodo

BrunoH
BrunoH

ok.. oil leak confirmed...

HPD

turbof1 wrote:
12 May 2017, 11:10
Remember if something breaks, post info on what specifically broke (post a picture like the leak), discuss why or how it broke and discuss a possible solution.
There is an image of the leakage of oil.. :lol:

Steven
Owner

⚠️ We'll start handing immediate warnings for people who continue to simply vent their frustration in this topic. We can discuss failures, performance, technicalities and the reasons for it all, but nothing more. It should be pretty clear by now.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

fellowhoodlums wrote:
12 May 2017, 09:54
They can also make internal changes to PU for reliability reasons.
No they can not

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Jef Patat wrote:
12 May 2017, 11:14
The rear wheels locked up, something definitely broke, and then put a hole into the engine and released a lot of oil.

But this was an old PU, supposedly the same one Alonso ran in Australia.

Andres125sx

Oil leakege?

That´s oil???

zac510
zac510

It doesn't look viscous (or dirty) enough to be oil but I suppose they use a very thin oil in these high revving engines.

Thunder

Yes it's Oil. Honda already confirmed that.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/352989/
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

DVB

It's oil. If oil is falling out of somewhere, it tends to seperate on the way down. Especially if it doesn't holds any water percentage, it will have a low density (<0.85 kg/l). The lower the density, the better for them.

Cooling fluid will stay connected longer and by the looks, it's not water.

For this amount of oil leaking, it must have been a pipe come off. No way this could pour like this out of the engine if something punched somewhere a hole in.
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

zac510 wrote:
12 May 2017, 18:17
It doesn't look viscous (or dirty) enough to be oil but I suppose they use a very thin oil in these high revving engines.
Why would it be dirty? they hadn't even completed a lap, he was barely out of the pits