Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
wuzak
wuzak

Re: Honda Power Unit

Reality check - the other car, with a highly rated driver - qualified behind 2 Saubers.

Forget McLaren, forget Honda. This is mostly down to Alonso.

hecan
hecan

wuzak wrote:
13 May 2017, 15:40
Reality check - the other car, with a highly rated driver - qualified behind 2 Saubers.

Men, give some credit to the car too. Alonso is a great driver, but the car has to be there too. Someone has the comparison of the speed traps? or a list of the max speeds? It would be nice to be able to compare them to know how much weight Honda has in this, and how much they have improved

SameSame
SameSame

wuzak wrote:

I wonder if the Honda partnership would immediately be terminated if Stoffel was their fastest driver this year.

Based on his results McLaren would be nowhere, they really can't afford to lose Alonso next year.

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

hecan wrote:
13 May 2017, 15:52
wuzak wrote:

Men, give some credit to the car too. Alonso is a great driver, but the car has to be there too. Someone has the comparison of the speed traps? or a list of the max speeds? It would be nice to be able to compare them to know how much weight Honda has in this, and how much they have improved
Speed trap and sector speeds are available on the FIA website.
In the speed trap he is second from last, 4 kph faster than Vandoorne. Sector 1 he is near the bottom, S2 middle and S3 near bottom. Vandoorne is bottom in all 3.

HPD

Some data on the update, according to journal from Japan
http://f1sokuho.mopita.com/pc/free/index.php?
After that, Alonso ran 21 laps trouble-free, but the best time finished at the bottom. The reason was that there was not a problem with the PU, because it was just replacing the PU, tuning such as mapping etc had not been properly calibrated.

There was another reason why we had to face the second free practice without proper tuning. That is that the updated parts were loaded in this engine.

"I have changed the device that can be changed to the intake system without tampering with the engine itself."

It said that it improved the output, especially the power on the low rotation side. In addition to powering up, the problem of oscillation (resonance) which was troubled this year was also improved on the data, Vandoorne said "It was not a problem at all", it is said that it was able to shift up at the best timing.

Sonador
Sonador

I think Button was very very underrated, he faired wel with/against Alonso.
Apart from Hamilton, nobody got as close to his performance then Button.
How they treated him (Button) in the last couple of seasons, is beyond words i think.

But i do think Vandoorne will get better if the car gets better.

Alonso alone is worth a 100 HP :mrgreen:

j.yank
j.yank

wuzak wrote:

Without qually mode even Alonso can't do this. Honda is still not so powerful but at last probably they supply their max power for longer time per lap.

One question: if they work on higher RPM should this mean that they will supply more energy to the turbine, in this way canceling the negatives of higher efficiency to the available exhaust energy (what godlameroso talked about)? Of course, keeping the same efficiency at higher RPM - something that Wazary mentioned recently.

hecan
hecan

3jawchuck wrote:
13 May 2017, 16:35
hecan wrote:
13 May 2017, 15:52
wuzak wrote:

Speed trap and sector speeds are available on the FIA website.
In the speed trap he is second from last, 4 kph faster than Vandoorne. Sector 1 he is near the bottom, S2 middle and S3 near bottom. Vandoorne is bottom in all 3.
Sorry, I'm new. Can you teach me how to get to the page with the speeds?

Sonador
Sonador

HPD wrote:
13 May 2017, 16:36
Some data on the update, according to journal from Japan
http://f1sokuho.mopita.com/pc/free/index.php?
After that, Alonso ran 21 laps trouble-free, but the best time finished at the bottom. The reason was that there was not a problem with the PU, because it was just replacing the PU, tuning such as mapping etc had not been properly calibrated.

There was another reason why we had to face the second free practice without proper tuning. That is that the updated parts were loaded in this engine.

"I have changed the device that can be changed to the intake system without tampering with the engine itself."

It said that it improved the output, especially the power on the low rotation side. In addition to powering up, the problem of oscillation (resonance) which was troubled this year was also improved on the data, Vandoorne said "It was not a problem at all", it is said that it was able to shift up at the best timing.
So that is quite good news, they have fixed the oscillation problems, now they need to get focussed on reliability and deployment i think? Other reports suggest that there is good power from the ICE.

[-o< [-o<

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

Have we had any proper info on updates for Spain?

Reading here inlet update improving power delivery at low end, vibration not a problem.....is that all official?

j.yank
j.yank

wuzak wrote:

From FIA reports it seems that Alonso has been running with brand new ICE, TC, MGU-H and MGU-K. We can only guess what is the extension of the upgrades, but this could be explanation why Vandoorn is so far behind.

Sonador
Sonador

j.yank wrote:
13 May 2017, 16:53
wuzak wrote:

From FIA reports it seems that Alonso has been running with brand new ICE, TC, MGU-H and MGU-K. We can only guess what is the extension of the upgrades, but this could be explanation why Vandoorn is so far behind.
That engine blew up i tought? he is now running with the engine that did Australia i believe.
But with the upgraded parts?

To be honest all season Vandoorne is trailing Alonso by at least half a second.

etusch

godlameroso

They're down 13kph from the fastest cars, so if they can gain half that it should equal an extra .15sec per straight.

Or nearly .4 per lap.
Saishū kōnā

etusch

We still didn't see the race. But I assume a good race. After that comes monaco and then I hope updated PU with Canada. I hope things go well and better.