Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
MrPotatoHead

Re: Honda Power Unit

gruntguru wrote:
23 May 2017, 01:04
Vortex37 wrote:
22 May 2017, 21:41
The other issue is the problem of increased efficiency leading to lower exhaust temps and the effect on MGU-H/Turbo - change the pre-chamber/main chamber then affect downstream - reprogram and back to the beginning again.
That is a red herring. Efficiency gains in the piston section are paramount. If you trade any piston work for exhaust heat, the increase in turbine work will be a small fraction of the piston work lost.
This.

Sasha
Sasha

Pre-Chamber CC still needs tumble in the main chamber.Bad tumble or swirl and then you get bad A/F ratio that leads to destroyed pistons.

That is Honda's problem now.

MrPotatoHead

Sasha wrote:
23 May 2017, 01:21
Pre-Chamber CC still needs tumble in the main chamber.Bad tumble or swirl and then you get bad A/F ratio that leads to destroyed pistons.

That is Honda's problem now.
Do you know this for a fact or are you speculating?

Sasha
Sasha

fact

gruntguru
gruntguru

Vortex37 wrote:
Whilst the web link is substantially about lower emissions and improved fuel consumption, there are some lessons to be had.
https://www.pureburnengines.co.uk
I think that is a potentially good concept - as a replacement for petrol and diesel road car engines. Adapting the technology to a racing engine with 110% VE and 15,000 rpm capability is another matter (a big stretch actually). OTOH TJI adapts easily.
je suis charlie

MrPotatoHead

gruntguru wrote:
23 May 2017, 03:49
Vortex37 wrote:
Whilst the web link is substantially about lower emissions and improved fuel consumption, there are some lessons to be had.
https://www.pureburnengines.co.uk
I think that is a potentially good concept - as a replacement for petrol and diesel road car engines. Adapting the technology to a racing engine with 110% VE and 15,000 rpm capability is another matter (a big stretch actually). OTOH TJI adapts easily.
Reading up on the Merritt engine some more - the downside from testing is a 50% reduction in power output because of the pumping losses.
This is no surprise. And very much limits any use of it in racing.

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Its moot anyway, as that design link was previously posted/discussed recently - on the '2 stroke' thread..

& esp' since the essentially 'fictional' premise of the current tightly proscribed/old tech-ish F1 engine reg's..
..as supposedly being both 'relevant' to today's 'green' road cars, via an emissions/efficiency exemplar showcase,
& to provide a 'level playing field' - for cost effective competition - as fairly evenly matched race machines..
..has in fact - been shown up as a classic of 'unintended consequences' - to the great cost of 'McHonda', in $, & 'face' wise..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

MrPotatoHead

A wild idea - what if the Pre-Chamber was purged on the compression stroke by a passageway that went to the valve seat and was opened when the intake valve opened.
Or a passageway that was opened to the intake port by an element of a pre-chamber mounted fuel injector.

In either case compressed air from the intake port would force a purge and fill of the pre chamber.

That's how i would do it.

Craigy

MrPotatoHead wrote:
23 May 2017, 14:39
A wild idea - what if the Pre-Chamber was purged on the compression stroke by a passageway that went to the valve seat and was opened when the intake valve opened.
Or a passageway that was opened to the intake port by an element of a pre-chamber mounted fuel injector.

In either case compressed air from the intake port would force a purge and fill of the pre chamber.

That's the least crazy/difficult of all the ideas I've seen raised so far.

MrPotatoHead

Craigy wrote:
23 May 2017, 15:17
MrPotatoHead wrote:

Often the simplest ideas are the least obvious.

JonoNic

MrPotatoHead wrote:
Craigy wrote:
MrPotatoHead wrote:

I asked that a few pages earlier. I guess I didn't ask it properly.
Always find the gap then use it.

MrPotatoHead

JonoNic wrote:
23 May 2017, 17:10
MrPotatoHead wrote:
Craigy wrote:

I asked that a few pages earlier. I guess I didn't ask it properly.
I must have missed that or I would have commented on it. My apologies.

JonoNic

JonoNic wrote:Wow! Some conversations are becoming way too technical for me. Are you guys suggesting that the three pre-chambers on one bank be interlinked by some air passage? This would allow the unsealed per-chamber (and currently linked to the other pre-chambers) to reach the correct AFR as there is some form of 'outlet for this stroke'. When the pre chamber is 'filled' then it can be sealed via valve long before it affects compression and combustion in the chamber. This could allow the injector to be outside the pre-chamber. Isn't it? If I'm talking nonsense then at least I tried :D
No problem. Reposted here

MrPotatoHead

JonoNic wrote:
23 May 2017, 17:33
JonoNic wrote:Wow! Some conversations are becoming way too technical for me. Are you guys suggesting that the three pre-chambers on one bank be interlinked by some air passage? This would allow the unsealed per-chamber (and currently linked to the other pre-chambers) to reach the correct AFR as there is some form of 'outlet for this stroke'. When the pre chamber is 'filled' then it can be sealed via valve long before it affects compression and combustion in the chamber. This could allow the injector to be outside the pre-chamber. Isn't it? If I'm talking nonsense then at least I tried :D
No problem. Reposted here
Ah yes. I must have missed the mention of the valve part.
You wouldn't want to interlink the chambers on the same bank as that would not work because of the overlap in the cylinders cycles. But the basic premise I the same.

I still feel very strongly about the injector being partially or wholey in the pre-chamber though or rather the pre-chamber in the injector.

JonoNic

Mr. Potato Head (Patrick Head maybe? ). What about heating fuel in the combustion chamber with microwaves? One of the guys mentioned heating fuel is essential to TJI. However, is it necessary to heat all the fuel entering the chamber or just part of it? Microwaves could provide this additional control during the heating process.