Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Soichiro
Soichiro

Re: Honda Power Unit

GoranF1 wrote:
11 Jun 2017, 15:01
Update in Baku
Hasegawa said they are targeting Baku, but are not sure they can get it done. That is how I understood him.

etusch

Soichiro wrote:
11 Jun 2017, 15:40
GoranF1 wrote:
Update in Baku
Hasegawa said they are targeting Baku, but are not sure they can get it done. That is how I understood him.
Updates could be come one or two race later too. The important thing is PU level after update.

fenix4life
fenix4life

GoranF1 wrote:
Update in Baku
which season?

godlameroso

n4rf wrote:
11 Jun 2017, 03:13
I can't see how the combustion would be the problem with the quoted vibrations. Maybe it's the "source" as in what puts in the energy. Well, yeah, what else is producing energy in the engine?
Thinking about it, the pressure gradients translate into the crankcase, but then that is something that is measurable and basic knowledge in series production engines. Something, Honda isn't to bad at.
If I would need to hazard a guess it is something in the cranktrain or drive of camshafts or other auxiliary drives. Those can be a bitch to tune, especially if we keep in mind, that everything on an F1 engine is mounted solid. There's no "engine mounts" that can flex and compensate for some vibrations. Then again, that is something someone from the bike engine department should know everything about, because all bike engines (at least for sporty bikes) are stressed members of the frame and come without insulation for that reason.
The resonance is coming from the exhaust, you can feel it when the car approaches under braking. It's certainly combustion related, but there's probably frequencies affecting the combustion that they're not listening for because they're not something you can hear, unless you were a dolphin or a dog.

As a general aside:
Regarding the Honda updates, how much does the race v6 influence the single cylinder prototype development, in other words, does race data go into new SCP models with which to guide development and in turn the actual engine? Or is it just dyno testing full engines and SCP takes a backseat now?
Saishū kōnā

makecry
makecry

Craigy wrote:
11 Jun 2017, 13:23
makecry wrote:
10 Jun 2017, 20:27
ringo wrote:
10 Jun 2017, 18:57

He didn't say that exactly. He was asked if honda have a problem with external help.He said no, as they aren't against consultants. He didn't say he was seeking help, or that Honda is receiving help.
But that ain't new. Simon Gilles had been there since a long time. Sometimes I feel that almost everything has been already discussed in the thread and we are repeating the same thing again and again and again. :|
Honda dumped Simon earlier this year. He doesn't work for them any more.

That's why I said Simon Gilles "HAD" been there and not "HAS" been there. It means he is no longer there. :D

max_speed
max_speed

Anyone who does not believe , See what can mclaren without that honda engine in the back..

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2017/ ... vived.html

Soichiro
Soichiro

max_speed wrote:
11 Jun 2017, 19:33
Anyone who does not believe , See what can mclaren without that honda engine in the back..

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2017/ ... vived.html
Hope that washed at least some of the frustration away :lol: . Good job though :D

JuanjoTS
JuanjoTS

#-o I can not believe it...

godlameroso

JuanjoTS wrote:
11 Jun 2017, 21:38
What's so hard to believe it's been happening all season.
Saishū kōnā

proteus

The engine itself is underpowered, but by its fragility it costed the team about 6 - 10 points so far, which are cruicial in this state of catastrophy...
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

JuanjoTS
JuanjoTS

godlameroso wrote:
11 Jun 2017, 21:44
JuanjoTS wrote:
For that very reason, it is happening all the season, I hoped that it did not happen this time :oops: :oops: :oops:
In the last stretch of 3 laps passed to 1.18 I thought it was fuel economy, but no, the engine was BREAKING AGAIN.
Sorry for this comment so technical and so sentimental, I do not know what to say technically of this engine specification, please bring the following specification already. [-o< [-o<
Last edited by JuanjoTS on 11 Jun 2017, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.

proteus

JuanjoTS wrote:
11 Jun 2017, 22:02
godlameroso wrote:
JuanjoTS wrote:
For that very reason, it is happening all the season, I hoped that it did not happen this time :oops: :oops: :oops:
In the last stretch of 3 laps passed to 1.18 I thought it was fuel economy, but no, the engine was BREAKING AGAIN.
Well i do remember how u wrote that Honda is falsely acused at the start of the season and u said that we are all Mclaren fanboys not wanting to admit its the Mclarens fault for lack of achievements, have u excepted the reality now?
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

JuanjoTS
JuanjoTS

proteus wrote:
11 Jun 2017, 22:07
JuanjoTS wrote:
11 Jun 2017, 22:02
godlameroso wrote:

Well i do remember how u wrote that Honda is falsely acused at the start of the season and u said that we are all Mclaren fanboys not wanting to admit its the Mclarens fault for lack of achievements, have u excepted the reality now?
Yes, In any case the chassis is the 4th or 5th of the grid, although the main problem is the engine.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Honda and McLaren will divorce now, however Honda will try and get Sauber a McLaren gearbox and suspension supply for 2018 and until they either start to manufacture their own or get one from elsewhere like Xtrac.

McLaren and Mercedes will happen and Alonso will stay for another year as i think Renault will take a serious look at Kubica or take Ocon from Force India, and Ferrari will probably take Sainz from Red Bull for a substantial wedge, leaving Alonso boxed in at McLaren. The driver market will decide for Alonso, Alonso won't decide the driver market.

However, Honda is a shambles, they need more cars on the grid for development and they also need to blend into the background with Sauber and develop in a seen but not heard sense.

JuanjoTS
JuanjoTS

ESPImperium wrote:
11 Jun 2017, 22:27
Honda and McLaren will divorce now, however Honda will try and get Sauber a McLaren gearbox and suspension supply for 2018 and until they either start to manufacture their own or get one from elsewhere like Xtrac.

McLaren and Mercedes will happen and Alonso will stay for another year as i think Renault will take a serious look at Kubica or take Ocon from Force India, and Ferrari will probably take Sainz from Red Bull for a substantial wedge, leaving Alonso boxed in at McLaren. The driver market will decide for Alonso, Alonso won't decide the driver market.

However, Honda is a shambles, they need more cars on the grid for development and they also need to blend into the background with Sauber and develop in a seen but not heard sense.
McLaren has no other road than Honda, let's wait for the next specification to see that it works.