2017 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 14-16 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dans79

Re: 2017 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 14-16 July

nacho wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 16:15
Bottas very slow or made some mistakes?
Locked up turn 1.
201 105 104 9 9 7

Sevach
Sevach

Juzh wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 15:55
Hamilton Pole Lap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZwRQdYkPb8

After all the talk he's not full flat anywhere...

TAG

nacho wrote:
Perhaps similarly to Hamilton last week, just set up for a different race tomorrow.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Shrieker

TAG wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 16:18
nacho wrote:
Perhaps similarly to Hamilton last week, just set up for a different race tomorrow.
That's what i thought as well. But was Hamilton's setup really any different than Bottas last Sunday ? If it was, it really didn't look that way tbh.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

ema00
ema00

https://streamable.com/anz6j

that is clearly a stop for grosjean, anyway I didn't want a penalty... a yellow card would have been ok

TAG

Shrieker wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 16:20
TAG wrote:
nacho wrote:
That's what i thought as well. But was Hamilton's setup really any different than Bottas last Sunday ? If it was, it really didn't look that way tbh.
He was complaining about too much front wing. It's never certain. Perhaps the too much front wing was due to the temperature differences. Shouldn't see temp differences tomorrow, we'll know more.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

GPR-A duplicate2

TAG wrote:
nacho wrote:
The concern for Bottas should be that, the track being a "high speed/high downforce" circuit, the wake of leading car is bound effect the chasing car way too much and following a car through the high speed section is going to cause a lot of headache. So, getting into DRS is going to be tricky and hence, overtaking is going to be difficult. Unless the chasing car is more than a second faster, the overtaking is near to impossible.

So, Bottas has to save his car from the midfield chaos at the start, conserve his tyres in first stint and once people start pitting, should take advantage to move up the positions. If he can have a good start and jump a few places, that would be bonus. If he cook his tyres in first stint, trying hard to overtake the cars, then he is going to be at loss.
Last edited by GPR-A duplicate2 on 15 Jul 2017, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

Shrieker

ema00 wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 16:22
https://streamable.com/anz6j

that is clearly a stop for grosjean, anyway I didn't want a penalty... a yellow card would have been ok
Wow that looks really hairy :?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

LionKing
LionKing

GPR-A wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 16:10
None of what you have mentioned, is worse than a driver deliberately banging his car with another car. So, as per FIA standards, a honest apology is enough to get out of the bigger crime, then in this case, even an apology isn't required. Still, Lewis has apologized. That's big.
That wouldn't have been a stupid analogy, had Vettel not received any penalty for that. He got one that costed him about 30 sec.

I just watched the video into the final corner. That is slam down impeding.

GPR-A duplicate2

Let's talk about performance difference between Mercedes and Ferrari. Half a second is increasingly becoming a common sight, especially with Lewis' time in qualifying. Even with the upgrades, Ferrari is tailing off the qualifying pace. With Mercedes managing to take care of the tyres better now, Ferrari is slowly losing out in races too. Though Ferrari is not that far off in races, the overtaking is difficult with these cars and with Mercedes managing the strategic calls better than Ferrari, there seems to be no light for Ferrari.

Oh, and the abusive version of Vettel is out again! That's a sight to watch (err.. hear) !

TAG

GPR-A wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 16:36
Let's talk about performance difference between Mercedes and Ferrari. Half a second is increasingly becoming a common sight, especially with Lewis' time in qualifying. Even with the upgrades, Ferrari is tailing off the qualifying pace. With Mercedes managing to take care of the tyres better now, Ferrari is slowly losing out in races too. Though Ferrari is not that far off in races, the overtaking is difficult with these cars and with Mercedes managing the strategic calls better than Ferrari, there seems to be no light for Ferrari.

Oh, and the abusive version of Vettel is out again! That's a sight to watch (err.. hear) !
Vettel is the one burning oil now, not the Ferrari in qualifying. ;)
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Wynters
Wynters

GPR-A wrote:
None of what you have mentioned, is worse than a driver deliberately banging his car with another car. So, as per FIA standards, a honest apology is enough to get out of the bigger crime, then in this case, even an apology isn't required. Still, Lewis has apologized. That's big.
I'm not sure when two wrongs started making a right? I'm also fairly sure that Vettel did get a penalty, no?

TAG

Wynters wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 16:41
GPR-A wrote:
I'm not sure when two wrongs started making a right? I'm also fairly sure that Vettel did get a penalty, no?
I think you're missing the part about the penalty not being a DSQ from the race and potentially from the season.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Shrieker

You know how everyone's equal, but some are more equal :D If that had been a Ferrari instead of Grosjean, there was a higher probability that it was going to be a penalty, a reprimand and/or license points.

On another note, you gotta look at the total net outcome too. People say Grosjean had another lap and the previous situation probably did not affect his final grid spot. IMHO, same could be said about the Baku incident. Had Vettel caused Hamilton to retire with the impact, surely he would've received a much harsher penalty than a mere stop/go. Isn't that the same with judicial systems in the modern world ? If you hit someone with a car and cause a casualty, surely you're gonna get a much harsher sentence compared to when you hit somebody and they get away with a broken leg.
Last edited by Shrieker on 15 Jul 2017, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.
-Atatürk

GPR-A duplicate2

TAG wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 16:45
Wynters wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 16:41
GPR-A wrote:
I think you're missing the part about the penalty not being a DSQ from the race and potentially from the season.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2556 ... -incidents
On the final lap at the wet Spielberg circuit, Audi's Timo Scheider, a two-time champion of the German touring car series, was lining up a move on sixth-placed Robert Wickens at Turn 2, only for both drivers to be passed by the latter's Mercedes team-mate and then-championship leader Pascal Wehrlein.

As the trio accelerated toward Turn 3, Scheider received a radio message from Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich—normally so gracious in both victory and defeat when representing Audi at the Le Mans 24 Hours—who told his driver: "Schieb ihn raus."

According to Motorsport.com's Charles Bradley, that translates to "push him out," and Scheider duly followed the doctor's orders, nudging Wickens under braking and sending both Mercedes cars into the deep, unforgiving depths of the gravel trap.

While Scheider was disqualified from the official results shortly after the race, the retrospective action taken by the German Motor Sports Association was firm and decisive, which is the sign of a well-governed motor-racing series.
The only difference here is, the team principal asking his driver to do it and Vettel doing it all by himself.

10 second stop&go penalty was awarded to so many drivers for unsafe release in pit lane, even where it did not damage anything. So, a 10 second stop&go for Vettel's incident in Baku, was absolutely nothing.

SO, comparing Hamilton's block (so called) to Vettel's incident is simply funny. If possible refrain from commenting on this topic, as we do not want to take this discussion any further. To you is your and to me in mine (Opinions of course).