2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Squid wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 15:23
Well, considering Spa is one of the most power-hungry circuits on the calendar, that's progress I guess? Power wise I mean, definitely not reliability wise.
Some progress yes, specially when you remember that Alonso's lap was rather early in Q2 and the track seemed to be getting faster and faster with every lap today, shame it still failed.

RS200E

MotoManiac wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 16:15
RedNEO wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 15:51
HPD wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 15:43

In the engine forum you can read what the update is.
I already read it, mainly for reliability. 10/10
You are annoying as hell but i am enjoying seeing all the pro-mclaren folks squirm in frustration every second..
Cant wait for another year with Honda...its gonna be fun around here
I'm one of those 😕 It's horrible. I still have some hope it will be another reliable race so don't laugh too much yet!

Btw not classy the way you put your post across. All real petrol heads want to see McLaren Honda perform, or are F1 team supporters like football supporters now.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

GoranF1
GoranF1

Alonso gained 12.6 km/h due to Vandoorne tow.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Sayeman

‘Easy 1-2’ but for Honda engine – Alonso

When asked whether the competitive mid-field lap time was to do with gains from the engine, Alonso simply replied ‘chassis, chassis’.
Lauda feels no compassion for the Spaniard. Asked what advice he has for Alonso, the Mercedes non-executive offered a cold response.
"Nothing at all," he said. "He's where he is because he wanted to make a lot of money at McLaren."
Poor Alonso, irate with Honda, can't wait to see the back of them. Has nowhere else to go, burned bridges left and right in the past and now no top team wants to take him. Now burning bridges with Honda too. Desperation oozing out of his every word.
Never Give up.

ollandos
ollandos

good progres for the car ...and alonso is correct this car can win with top engine...about next year PU there is for me 2 serious optionw...1.stay with honda ..honda must give right now lot more money staff and time to have ready top level engine for last race and test ...2. to take the mercedes engine from williams and send honda there .....

RedNEO

Sayeman wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 19:26
‘Easy 1-2’ but for Honda engine – Alonso

When asked whether the competitive mid-field lap time was to do with gains from the engine, Alonso simply replied ‘chassis, chassis’.
Lauda feels no compassion for the Spaniard. Asked what advice he has for Alonso, the Mercedes non-executive offered a cold response.
"Nothing at all," he said. "He's where he is because he wanted to make a lot of money at McLaren."
Poor Alonso, irate with Honda, can't wait to see the back of them. Has nowhere else to go, burned bridges left and right in the past and now no top team wants to take him. Now burning bridges with Honda too. Desperation oozing out of his every word.
Desperation? Haha says the guy quoting Niki Lauda. That's really scraping at the bottom of the barrel.

Andres125sx

RedNEO wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 15:24
I just hope that after this whole spec 3 debacle people will learn not to hype updates from Honda again. Over the last three years none of the updates have met there own targets so it's surprising to see people fall into that trap consistently.
Only if you focus on top power/top speed perfomance. To me it´s pretty obvious there have been progress, but you must ignore that sensationalistic media debate about how many BHP the update brought.

Hasegawa said this update is improving the bottom end of the PU, hence even if the peak power didn´t improve noticeably, the PU might be improving noticeably as it may improve traction, low speed corners acceleration, and even fuel consumption as if the bottom end is stronger they can change their shifting strategy (as Hasegawa stated himself) to keep the average rpm a bit lower, using less fuel

This is Spa, the longest track on the calendar with several long straights where PU is playing a huge role. This was supposed to be one of the worst tracks on the calendar for McHonda, yet they could have entered Q3 easily. That´s noticeably improvement in my eyes, even if it was with a tow, and even if the top speed is still way down

Andres125sx

RedNEO wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 15:30
Not really, having to rely on a really good tow from your teammate who also has to sacrifice his own effort
Vandoorne didn´t sacrifice anything, he had a 65 grid position penalty, so it didn´t matter if he qualified 1st or 20th

RedNEO wrote:
Alonso said they have an agreement that he will do it to help vandoorne do the same in Monza since roles will be reversed.
What to me was some sort of official confirmation Alonso will be getting spec 4 in Monza. Actually even Alonso´s face after saying this was enlightening, it looked like if he was thinking for himself "hey I shouldn´t have said that". It could be because spec 4 for Monza is not confirmed yet, but to me if he said that it´s because team strategy is introducing the updates for each driver at different GPs and using whatever driver has a penalty to improve the other one Q lap with a tow

Now Honda must reach the schedule, but since Monza is next weekend, if that´s their target now, it should be doable

RedNEO wrote:
Let's hope vandoorne's engine doesn't do the same next week.
Agree with this one :mrgreen:

Andres125sx

GoranF1 wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 18:01
Andres125sx wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 16:20
GoranF1 wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 14:41
Worst friday this year... very first run of the updated engine 2.5 off.
Fixed this for you :mrgreen:

Also, in FP2 when Lewis improved best FP1 time by 8 tenths, Alonso is 1.99 seconds off. Not something to celebrate obviously, but taking into accound how power hungry this track is, and also how long it is, I think under 2 seconds to Mercedes is not bad at all, we all knew Spa would be very difficult for McHonda, didn´t we? :wink:
Kvyat, Massa, Gorsjean and Magnussen will all be infront of Mclaren in case of dry Q.
Well, it was a dry Q and...

Kvyat.... fail
Massa.... fail
Grosjean... fail
Magnussen... fail

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

GoranF1 wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 19:34
On this track in Q. Mclaren is the slowest of midfield and if normal condition will be P15 and P16 in Q.
On tracks like HUN and Singapoure will be fastest of midfield group.

Anything else is fairy tail.
P11 and P15 with Alonso´s car suffering a problem, and Vandoorne car not doing a single lap in Q2. If we take Alonso´s problem as part of racing, still Stoffel could have been P12 easily

As you can see it was far from a fairy tale.... as I guess that´s what you meant, because if it was not a typo and you really meant fairy tail I don´t know what were you refering to, and don´t want to know!! :P :lol:

PS. Don´t take this post bad, it´s just a desperate attempt to show you your constant pesimism and bashing towards McHonda should be contolled, as situation, even when far from ideal, is not that catastrophic, they´re constantly improving and none of us would have thought Q3 was possible in Spa, but in the end it was :wink:

Alonso Fan

Great start

Now just watch him drop back
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Sayeman

Alonso just flew past the renault without DRS...Hell yeah!
Never Give up.

Sayeman

maybe running to skinny wings....Ferdi can't keep up with the renault in the corners
Never Give up.

Alonso Fan

Sayeman wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 14:12
maybe running to skinny wings....Ferdi can't keep up with the renault in the corners
No the Renault had DRS

The lap they didn't have DRS he was about as fast as the renault. Would have loved to see an Alonso trulli train
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sayeman

Another classic messed up pitstop from Mclaren, Honda's gonna get the stick for it though.

Does any other team has more incompetent pit stop crews than Mclaren?

A race to forget.....
Last edited by Sayeman on 27 Aug 2017, 14:38, edited 2 times in total.
Never Give up.

Alonso Fan

Yeah was gonna say the same. Come on man can nothing go right for once?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord