2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Andres125sx

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

diffuser wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 15:12
I'm a big Fernando Fan but If I was McLaren or his manager.... I'd recommend he get Counseling or Psychotherapy in the off season. They'd give him tricks on how to deal with frustration. It isn't normal that he can't deal with the frustration and needs to express it so publicly. It isn't helping his reputation either.
I could say the same about a lot of F1T members, even when they only care about F1 on race weekends. Imagine if they´d have to live with that daily, for three consecutive years, watching how midfielders fly pass you at any straight because Honda can´t accomplish their promises...

What Alonso needs is a PU, the psychotherapy should be for some fans

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Andres125sx wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 08:55
diffuser wrote:
I'm a big Fernando Fan but If I was McLaren or his manager.... I'd recommend he get Counseling or Psychotherapy in the off season. They'd give him tricks on how to deal with frustration. It isn't normal that he can't deal with the frustration and needs to express it so publicly. It isn't helping his reputation either.
I could say the same about a lot of F1T members, even when they only care about F1 on race weekends. Imagine if they´d have to live with that daily, for three consecutive years, watching how midfielders fly pass you at any straight because Honda can´t accomplish their promises...

be careful Andres, you can't be rational and correct nonsensical posts that consist only of antifanboy material, before you know it all of your posts disappear without consent and the touchy feely haterism posters stay like it's some sort of golden rule to allow to provoke, but not adress.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Manoah2u wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 09:23
Andres125sx wrote:
diffuser wrote:

be careful Andres, you can't be rational and correct nonsensical posts that consist only of antifanboy material, before you know it all of your posts disappear without consent and the touchy feely haterism posters stay like it's some sort of golden rule to allow to provoke, but not adress.
Quite right M-2u..

But perhaps Andres, as a fellow Spaniard, is giving some cultural-context type insight into Alonso's 'emotive Latino' mindset..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

basti313
basti313

Andres125sx wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 08:49
OviJohn wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 14:36
Woah woah! Seems like i hit a nerve here Andres.
I really think people HUGELY understimate how frustrating must be driving with a Honda PU, specially for someone with the talent and curriculum as Alonso. Every driver drives poor cars at the beginnning of his career (or most), but a champion driving such a poor car... that´s not normal, maybe for some season his team messed it up, but not for three consecutive seasons

Alonso is living a situation probably not other WDC has suffered before
I guess you missed Schumacher in the Merc? Remember how he was just running to do tire testing during the US GP?
Andres125sx wrote:
OviJohn wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 14:36
Alonso IS an employee and he should know best what certain behaviours bring along for him...As I concluded on that post you replied to.

In fact, I hope you already read what Cyril Abiteboul had to say about Alonso today. You can now add him to the "foolish" F1 team bosses list that are very weary to hire him, despite of his obvious talent. So yeah, just as Honda, the good old saying applies to him: "You reap what you sow"
People say this about Alonso since his first Renault days, but even so he´s been part of McLaren (2 times), Ferrari, and Renault, so I wouldn´t say he´s closed doors anywhere, actually he´s driven for the best F1 teams despite his hot personality :wink:
This is a bit too short look at the vita:
- Renault was together with Briatore. This always worked.
- He went to Ferrari after two "calm down" seasons at Renault.
- Honda wanted him in the McLaren. I doubt, that Ron would have hired him alone.
Andres125sx wrote:
Also, what bridges should keep Alonso when he´s said repeteadly this is his last long term project? Did you forget he´s 36 years old?
According to the Marca the bridge is now burned. He set an ultimatum to the end of the year...either him or Honda.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Avocado
Avocado

McLaren-Honda split moves closer as team eyes Renault for 2018

Thank God!!! This nightmare must end ASAP! :|

amho

it seems that Honda should call Mr.aguri suzuki to set up a team for 2018
There is no Might or Power except with Allah.

RedNEO

Andres125sx wrote:
diffuser wrote:

This is what I've been saying, I agree. Soon this nightmare will be over and if things go well Alonso will be able to show what he can really do with a proper PU next year.

RedNEO

Avocado wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 10:40

Yup and not soon enough!

Avocado
Avocado

RedNEO wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 12:22
Andres125sx wrote:
diffuser wrote:

This is what I've been saying, I agree. Soon this nightmare will be over and if things go well Alonso will be able to show what he can really do with a proper PU next year.
Aaaaand in the meantime they can contact BMW. :D

AMG.Tzan

I think that Mclaren is relying more on Alonso than anything else inside their team! Having a driver retire on purpose shows how much of a team player he is! Mclaren should just stay with Honda! Alonso has no other option but to stay with them (maybe Indycar is a nice option)! I really believe Honda has more potential than Renault! But just imagine if Mclaren gets to the front at last and they are at the same position as Ferrari in 2010,2012-2013...battling at the front but not being the fastest! Then what will Alonso do? Leave the team like he did with Ferrari?
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

banjo789
banjo789

Just a thought. The McLaren management appear to want out of the Honda deal. Maybe, just maybe, the radio outbursts that we hear during the races are 'sanctioned' by McLaren as they apply a very public pressure on Honda whilst maintaining a dignified corporate distance from the criticism. Alonso has always been outspoken, but is this a concerted effort between the team and the driver to push Honda to the point where they let McLaren out of their contract due to the very public 'bashing' its getting in front of hundreds of millions of fans?

Looks like any future deal will Renault will come down to a 'free gearbox' gearbox supply by McLaren to Toro Rosso for next year.

diffuser

Andres125sx wrote:
diffuser wrote:

No doubt, he wouldn't be doing that if he had more power from the PU.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Avocado wrote:

It's not going to end quickly, if it's true that Honda want to continue with McLaren and there is no deal with Red Bull over a supply to TR forthcoming (which is the only way Honda would be able to stay in F1, unless say it buys Force India off VJ and co), McLaren is up a creek without a paddle, unless there are performance clauses in it's contract with Honda that allows them to break the contract cleanly. If not, then McLaren is looking at a costly legal action to break free. Which isn't something that will be resolved in a matter of weeks, more like months. The nightmare could only just be about to start.

diffuser

banjo789 wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 12:34
Just a thought. The McLaren management appear to want out of the Honda deal. Maybe, just maybe, the radio outbursts that we hear during the races are 'sanctioned' by McLaren as they apply a very public pressure on Honda whilst maintaining a dignified corporate distance from the criticism. Alonso has always been outspoken, but is this a concerted effort between the team and the driver to push Honda to the point where they let McLaren out of their contract due to the very public 'bashing' its getting in front of hundreds of millions of fans?

Looks like any future deal will Renault will come down to a 'free gearbox' gearbox supply by McLaren to Toro Rosso for next year.
The same thing keeps coming back. There are no options. For McLaren to get a new PU manufacturer 1 of a few things needs to happen.
1 - Honda leave F1 (they said they're staying).
2 - Honda would have to supply someone other than McLaren. This way McLaren could exit Honda deal without kicking them out of F1. (Honda said they're not negotiating with anyone else; they like McLaren).

So really the only option they have is to do what ALO is doing. That is make it embarrassing for Honda and highlight it(bring it to everyone's attention).

loner

taperoo2k wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 13:30
Avocado wrote:

It's not going to end quickly, if it's true that Honda want to continue with McLaren and there is no deal with Red Bull over a supply to TR forthcoming (which is the only way Honda would be able to stay in F1, unless say it buys Force India off VJ and co), McLaren is up a creek without a paddle, unless there are performance clauses in it's contract with Honda that allows them to break the contract cleanly. If not, then McLaren is looking at a costly legal action to break free. Which isn't something that will be resolved in a matter of weeks, more like months. The nightmare could only just be about to start.
WILLIAMS.
para bellum.