2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Andres125sx

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Phil wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 01:48
Andres125sx wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 17:07
Error. He´s not a single individual, he´s, unquestionably, one of the best 3 drivers on the grid, the best of them for many people, so you can´t take it as a simple employee.
Oh dear...

employee
ɛmplɔɪˈiː,ɛmˈplɔɪiː,ɪmˈplɔɪiː/Submit
noun
a person employed for wages or salary, especially at non-executive level.
synonyms: worker, member of staff, member of the workforce;

employer
ɪmˈplɔɪə,ɛmˈplɔɪə/Submit
noun
noun: employer; plural noun: employers
a person or organization that employs people.
synonyms: boss, manager, manageress, patron, proprietor, director, managing director, chief executive, principal, president, head man, head woman;

One applies to Fernando Alonso, the other unquestionably to team McLaren and Honda. To put it into simpler terms; One entity (the employer) employs the employee in exchange for a service. This service includes driving an F1 car as well as satisfying sponsors, promoting the sport etc. For that the employee (the driver) receives a salary. In the case of Fernando Alonso, this salary is apparently as high as $40M/year.

Winning races and championships are a common goal both employer and employee share. It's rather doubtful this is in the contract any driver - yes including Alonso - signed. There may be performance (-exit) clauses for both parties as well as what happens in case one party breaches the contract. The performance clause may be a bit tricky, as I assume that Honda being a newcomer would know it's a bit of an unknown to predict how well they'd perform etc. Even so, I'd assume there would be some performance clause in there at least as of season 2 or 3, making sure that a certain WCC position is reached by point X, Y and Z and if not, that the driver has an exit clause he can trigger, similar to what Vettel used to switch to Ferrari in 2014.

The notion being put forward that Alonso is some kind of victim because Ferrari or McLaren-Honda supposedly promised a golden future is laughable. No team can promise championships. How could they? It's anyones guess. At best, educated guesses were made based on reasonable expectations etc. Hamilton was lured to Mercedes, a team performing no better than a distant 5th at the time (they not even had half the points of Lotus-Renault in 4th). He still went to Mercedes, not because he was "promised" anything, but because he wasn't happy at McLaren and he had faith that the things Mercedes (Ross Brawn) showed him showed promise. It was a gamble, one that payed off.

Alonso went to McLaren in 2007 for similar reasons. He also went to Ferrari later, because everyone knows that the Scuderia is perhaps the greatest name in F1. Ferrari is synonymous to F1 as it is vice-versa. And over the years, they have been a steady, consistent performer, even when not a WDC winning team. The point being; teams don't make promises. They dream and invest and hope that it all pays off. In the most basic sense though; the team is the employer who decides who drives in their team and pays a salary for that and other things. If no team is willing to employ Fernando Alonso, his "ability" or gift of being the greatest is worth zip, nada, zilch, nada... nothing. So yes, Fernando is a simple individual, an employee of a team that employs thousands of employees.

Andres125sx wrote:
I really can´t imagine what Mclaren did in 2007 with Alonso, but it should be quite severe for him to prefer going to Renault when he had a valid contract with McLaren for 2008...
Err, the contract was evidently terminated by mutual agreement, because the team and Alonso no longer wanted to continue after what happened. As for what happened, well, it's rather well documented if you'd bother to read up on it. Basically things turned very bad when the driver started to blackmail his team/boss which is pretty much a big no-go. So yes, things turned very sour so instead of being able to drive the 2008 McLaren as planned and perhaps win another championship (or be runner up, who knows), he chose to go back to a team that was nowhere.

One can argue many things about what McLaren did or did not do wrong back then with their star-driver, but it's rather summed up easily into that McLaren did produce a WDC winning car the year after and one driver was there to win it (Hamilton) and the other somehow burned his seat and was not. The loser in 2007 and 2008 was no other than Fernando Alonso.

To make matters worse - things didn't go much better at Ferrari. They did at first, but after 2012, things started to go very sour there too. One just has to ask themselves why on earth Fernando Alonso would have even considered going to McLaren in 2015 when it was evident that McLaren was a team going backwards. 2013 and 2014, both with Mercedes engines, showed the shortcomings of those cars and there was nothing engine related about that. And he chose that team over the team that was consistently in the top 3 how many years in a row (yes, with the exception of 2014).

The matter of fact is that Ferrari wanted and needed change. Alonso didn't fit in, he had to leave. And the only high budget team that had an opening was McLaren that showed some promise with Honda jumping in. If he had been smart, he'd have waited a year and tried to get an opening at Mercedes either when Hamilton or Rosbergs contract came up for renewal (Hamilton was to the best of my knowledge on a 3 year deal from 2013-2015, not sure about Rosberg). RedBull was never going to be interested as a result of their in-house driver development program. Yet Alonso jumped to McLaren, go figure...

I'm willing to bet the bridge at Ferrari was so burned that he had no other choice but to leave and either take a year out or go for the next best thing - a seat at McLaren.

Fast forward to today and the attitude is still there. Strangely, not only prevalent in Alonso himself, but his fans too. The "attitude" that the star driver deserves a championship. The fact that he is not in a team capable of doing so is fuelling his and their frustrations over the perceived injustice. And with it, in the process of burning yet another bridge. I wouldn't discount Honda coming good at some point if they somehow retain that partnership with McLaren, but I'm rather doubtful Alonso will still be there. Either he will have left by his own ultimatum (Him or Honda) or Honda will at some point realise that they'd rather have a professional driver who does not humiliate them at every opportunity.

As I said numerous times - his ability to drive a F1 car fast is beyond doubt. But to feel sorry for him... well, with that attitude. I certainly don't. Not when you consider that he has only himself to blame for the race seats he has ended up with over the years. When Vettel wins this years championship (he might), it will be a severe blow to Fernando and already will turn out to be the 2nd championship winning seat he lost due to his temper and attitude.

Last but not least: I am very certain that Fernando Alonso is not bound to McLaren-Honda by contract anymore. Given this is his 3rd season, I'm fairly confident there are exit clauses that have been already triggered by the subpar performance so far - at least since end of season 2. This means that Alonso is a free man. He is not forced to stay with McLaren. If he was that wanted because everyone accepts he is "the greatest ever" - why the hell hasn't he already been grabbed by any of the top 2-3 works teams (Ferrari/Mercedes/Renault)? His speed is clearly undisputed. Each of those two/three teams have two seats - each had an opening just this and next year. Why is Alonso not with any of them, if not for his character? Because he believes in McLaren? Yeah, right...
Sorry but too long post to read before going to work, but I´ll say this, even if by definition he´s an employee, he´s not a usual employee, he´s the star of the team. If you can´t cope with this sorry, I know you don´t like Alonso at all, but he´s the star of McHonda project like it or not.

And about McLaren in 2007, you´re saying yourself the rupture was by mutual agreement.... right.

And you´ve never wondered the reason a driver like Alonso would prefer to drive a poor renault instead of the best car of the grid? :roll: :lol:

Because in 2007 it already was the best car, Kimi won only thanks to McLaren screwing up his own season supporting a rookie with no experiece who made understandable mistakes for a rookie.

But hey, you´re saying yourself it was by mutual agreement, but keep saying he did receive a fair treatment in McLaren.... so you think Fernando Alonso is some sort of retarded who prefer Renault 2008 better than McLaren 2008 even when he had a valid contract with McLaren... #-o

Be serious Phil, your antipathy towards Alonso is blinding you. You know Ron Dennis paid Hamilton career since he was 12, don´t you? You know McLaren was willing to have a british champions after decades without one, don´t you? You know this is F1 and politics play a huge role, don´t you?

Andres125sx

BeardedAce wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 00:58
Fernando's getting grumpier by the day, how many times have we heard "I will quit" from him this year.
Zero, none, null, ninguna, rien.

Maybe you shold pay more attention, he said he´d make a decision after the summer break, he´s NEVER said he will quit certainly

JonoNic

Andres125sx wrote:
Phil wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
Error. He´s not a single individual, he´s, unquestionably, one of the best 3 drivers on the grid, the best of them for many people, so you can´t take it as a simple employee.
Oh dear...

employee
ɛmplɔɪˈiː,ɛmˈplɔɪiː,ɪmˈplɔɪiː/Submit
noun
a person employed for wages or salary, especially at non-executive level.
synonyms: worker, member of staff, member of the workforce;

employer
ɪmˈplɔɪə,ɛmˈplɔɪə/Submit
noun
noun: employer; plural noun: employers
a person or organization that employs people.
synonyms: boss, manager, manageress, patron, proprietor, director, managing director, chief executive, principal, president, head man, head woman;

One applies to Fernando Alonso, the other unquestionably to team McLaren and Honda. To put it into simpler terms; One entity (the employer) employs the employee in exchange for a service. This service includes driving an F1 car as well as satisfying sponsors, promoting the sport etc. For that the employee (the driver) receives a salary. In the case of Fernando Alonso, this salary is apparently as high as $40M/year.

Winning races and championships are a common goal both employer and employee share. It's rather doubtful this is in the contract any driver - yes including Alonso - signed. There may be performance (-exit) clauses for both parties as well as what happens in case one party breaches the contract. The performance clause may be a bit tricky, as I assume that Honda being a newcomer would know it's a bit of an unknown to predict how well they'd perform etc. Even so, I'd assume there would be some performance clause in there at least as of season 2 or 3, making sure that a certain WCC position is reached by point X, Y and Z and if not, that the driver has an exit clause he can trigger, similar to what Vettel used to switch to Ferrari in 2014.

The notion being put forward that Alonso is some kind of victim because Ferrari or McLaren-Honda supposedly promised a golden future is laughable. No team can promise championships. How could they? It's anyones guess. At best, educated guesses were made based on reasonable expectations etc. Hamilton was lured to Mercedes, a team performing no better than a distant 5th at the time (they not even had half the points of Lotus-Renault in 4th). He still went to Mercedes, not because he was "promised" anything, but because he wasn't happy at McLaren and he had faith that the things Mercedes (Ross Brawn) showed him showed promise. It was a gamble, one that payed off.

Alonso went to McLaren in 2007 for similar reasons. He also went to Ferrari later, because everyone knows that the Scuderia is perhaps the greatest name in F1. Ferrari is synonymous to F1 as it is vice-versa. And over the years, they have been a steady, consistent performer, even when not a WDC winning team. The point being; teams don't make promises. They dream and invest and hope that it all pays off. In the most basic sense though; the team is the employer who decides who drives in their team and pays a salary for that and other things. If no team is willing to employ Fernando Alonso, his "ability" or gift of being the greatest is worth zip, nada, zilch, nada... nothing. So yes, Fernando is a simple individual, an employee of a team that employs thousands of employees.

Andres125sx wrote:
I really can´t imagine what Mclaren did in 2007 with Alonso, but it should be quite severe for him to prefer going to Renault when he had a valid contract with McLaren for 2008...
Err, the contract was evidently terminated by mutual agreement, because the team and Alonso no longer wanted to continue after what happened. As for what happened, well, it's rather well documented if you'd bother to read up on it. Basically things turned very bad when the driver started to blackmail his team/boss which is pretty much a big no-go. So yes, things turned very sour so instead of being able to drive the 2008 McLaren as planned and perhaps win another championship (or be runner up, who knows), he chose to go back to a team that was nowhere.

One can argue many things about what McLaren did or did not do wrong back then with their star-driver, but it's rather summed up easily into that McLaren did produce a WDC winning car the year after and one driver was there to win it (Hamilton) and the other somehow burned his seat and was not. The loser in 2007 and 2008 was no other than Fernando Alonso.

To make matters worse - things didn't go much better at Ferrari. They did at first, but after 2012, things started to go very sour there too. One just has to ask themselves why on earth Fernando Alonso would have even considered going to McLaren in 2015 when it was evident that McLaren was a team going backwards. 2013 and 2014, both with Mercedes engines, showed the shortcomings of those cars and there was nothing engine related about that. And he chose that team over the team that was consistently in the top 3 how many years in a row (yes, with the exception of 2014).

The matter of fact is that Ferrari wanted and needed change. Alonso didn't fit in, he had to leave. And the only high budget team that had an opening was McLaren that showed some promise with Honda jumping in. If he had been smart, he'd have waited a year and tried to get an opening at Mercedes either when Hamilton or Rosbergs contract came up for renewal (Hamilton was to the best of my knowledge on a 3 year deal from 2013-2015, not sure about Rosberg). RedBull was never going to be interested as a result of their in-house driver development program. Yet Alonso jumped to McLaren, go figure...

I'm willing to bet the bridge at Ferrari was so burned that he had no other choice but to leave and either take a year out or go for the next best thing - a seat at McLaren.

Fast forward to today and the attitude is still there. Strangely, not only prevalent in Alonso himself, but his fans too. The "attitude" that the star driver deserves a championship. The fact that he is not in a team capable of doing so is fuelling his and their frustrations over the perceived injustice. And with it, in the process of burning yet another bridge. I wouldn't discount Honda coming good at some point if they somehow retain that partnership with McLaren, but I'm rather doubtful Alonso will still be there. Either he will have left by his own ultimatum (Him or Honda) or Honda will at some point realise that they'd rather have a professional driver who does not humiliate them at every opportunity.

As I said numerous times - his ability to drive a F1 car fast is beyond doubt. But to feel sorry for him... well, with that attitude. I certainly don't. Not when you consider that he has only himself to blame for the race seats he has ended up with over the years. When Vettel wins this years championship (he might), it will be a severe blow to Fernando and already will turn out to be the 2nd championship winning seat he lost due to his temper and attitude.

Last but not least: I am very certain that Fernando Alonso is not bound to McLaren-Honda by contract anymore. Given this is his 3rd season, I'm fairly confident there are exit clauses that have been already triggered by the subpar performance so far - at least since end of season 2. This means that Alonso is a free man. He is not forced to stay with McLaren. If he was that wanted because everyone accepts he is "the greatest ever" - why the hell hasn't he already been grabbed by any of the top 2-3 works teams (Ferrari/Mercedes/Renault)? His speed is clearly undisputed. Each of those two/three teams have two seats - each had an opening just this and next year. Why is Alonso not with any of them, if not for his character? Because he believes in McLaren? Yeah, right...
Sorry but too long post to read before going to work, but I´ll say this, even if by definition he´s an employee, he´s not a usual employee, he´s the star of the team. If you can´t cope with this sorry, I know you don´t like Alonso at all, but he´s the star of McHonda project like it or not.

And about McLaren in 2007, you´re saying yourself the rupture was by mutual agreement.... right.

And you´ve never wondered the reason a driver like Alonso would prefer to drive a poor renault instead of the best car of the grid? :roll:

Because in 2007 it already was the best car, Kimi won only thanks to McLaren screwing up his own season supporting a rookie with no experiece who made understandable mistakes for a rookie.

But hey, you´re saying yourself it was by mutual agreement, but keep saying he did receive a fair treatment in McLaren.... so you think Fernando Alonso is some sort of retarded who prefer Renault 2008 better than McLaren 2008 even when he had a valid contract with McLaren... #-o

Be serious Phil, your antipathy towards Alonso is blinding you. You know Ron Dennis paid Hamilton career since he was 12, don´t you? You know McLaren was willing to have a british champions after decades without one, don´t you? You know this is F1 and politics play a huge role, don´t you?
If you can't read the long post then wait until you can before posting.
Always find the gap then use it.

marvin78
marvin78

Andres125sx wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 08:40

Be serious Phil, your antipathy towards Alonso is blinding you. Y
And your unconditional love to him is blinding you I would say. I think there is always more to the story than we know. So in reality there is nothing to talk about because no one here knows how Alonso or other drivers really are. That's why it is weird to be a fan of thes guys.

Thunder

For the sake of all the poor Mousewheels in the World, can you guys stop quoting Phil's post in it's entire length please?
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Phil wrote:

wall of biased blah blah
So when will you stop being a troll and stop fuming about your biased, unbased never-ending bashing and downgrading on Alonso?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Schuttelberg

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that Honda have definitely improved since the start of the year? I think it's bananas to think that after having changed the engine philosophy they would have been winning or getting podiums this year. Just look at Ferrari! They've built a mega chassis this year but their PU still can't trump the works Mercedes PU. Formula 1 is tough. You don't turn up and churn out results. It's a long drawn brick by brick process!

People are desperate to see McLaren dump Honda and go to Renault and while I'm no McLaren fan, far from it, McLaren deserves to be at the front. Already, one of the legendary teams in Williams has become a 'B Team' of sorts and while that was hard to accept, McLaren will be even worse to fathom. There is no version of McLaren-Renault that convinces me. It screams mediocrity and that's not McLaren. You win and lose together and while Honda have deserved some bad PR (at the beginning of the year), if McLaren dump them, they will regret it in the long term.

People keep screaming 'Alonso doesn't deserve this!' Well, he made his own choices. McLaren and Honda are both bigger than him and like it or not, but either/or would be a bigger loss to F1 than him. To be very brutally honest, Alonso leaving McLaren won't be a bad thing at all for them. They can start focusing on the important things rather than stroking his enormous ego.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

I feel nothing for Alonso. He gets 40 million reasons a year to not feel too sorry for himself.

ZakB
ZakB

Schuttelberg wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 10:17
Is it just me or does anyone else feel that Honda have definitely improved since the start of the year? I think it's bananas to think that after having changed the engine philosophy they would have been winning or getting podiums this year. Just look at Ferrari! They've built a mega chassis this year but their PU still can't trump the works Mercedes PU. Formula 1 is tough. You don't turn up and churn out results. It's a long drawn brick by brick process!

People are desperate to see McLaren dump Honda and go to Renault and while I'm no McLaren fan, far from it, McLaren deserves to be at the front. Already, one of the legendary teams in Williams has become a 'B Team' of sorts and while that was hard to accept, McLaren will be even worse to fathom. There is no version of McLaren-Renault that convinces me. It screams mediocrity and that's not McLaren. You win and lose together and while Honda have deserved some bad PR (at the beginning of the year), if McLaren dump them, they will regret it in the long term.

People keep screaming 'Alonso doesn't deserve this!' Well, he made his own choices. McLaren and Honda are both bigger than him and like it or not, but either/or would be a bigger loss to F1 than him. To be very brutally honest, Alonso leaving McLaren won't be a bad thing at all for them. They can start focusing on the important things rather than stroking his enormous ego.
Lame excuse. Honda should have hired experts from Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault. Like you said, this is Formula 1, there is no time to recover, they should have got their act together a long, long time ago. It's too little, too late now. Renault is clearly the way to go.

Schuttelberg

ZakB wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 11:25
Schuttelberg wrote:

Lame excuse. Honda should have hired experts from Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault. Like you said, this is Formula 1, there is no time to recover, they should have got their act together a long, long time ago. It's too little, too late now. Renault is clearly the way to go.
Sorry, but I don't work for Honda. I'm not offering excuses on their behalf. Renault haven't exactly set the world alight with their PU. If you don't believe me, ask Max Verstappen. F1 is a huge challenge and in my opinion, from the outside, managing Alonso's expectations have been as big an issue as the PU itself for McLaren. They hired the best driver in the world, but at the wrong time.
The right way to go is to stick with Honda, have them pay Alonso's bills and put him on a long term contract (3 years) binding to the fact that he shuts up on radio and in front of the media. The driving he has catered to for all his career. That has never been the issue. The results will come. But if every race weekend your 'star employee' wields an 'I quit' sword.. That attitude just doesn't work! The world won't stop spinning and Alonso's contemporaries in the mean time will keep amassing trophies in their cabinet.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Zynerji

Having the best driver in the universe in a midfield car doesn't win championships, not throwing away 3 years of blood and sweat and sacrifice before it pays it's returns does.

Read "Good to Great", it explains my concept.

ZakB
ZakB

Schuttelberg wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 11:34
ZakB wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:

Sorry, but I don't work for Honda. I'm not offering excuses on their behalf. Renault haven't exactly set the world alight with their PU. If you don't believe me, ask Max Verstappen. F1 is a huge challenge and in my opinion, from the outside, managing Alonso's expectations have been as big an issue as the PU itself for McLaren. They hired the best driver in the world, but at the wrong time.
The right way to go is to stick with Honda, have them pay Alonso's bills and put him on a long term contract (3 years) binding to the fact that he shuts up on radio and in front of the media. The driving he has catered to for all his career. That has never been the issue. The results will come. But if every race weekend your 'star employee' wields an 'I quit' sword.. That attitude just doesn't work! The world won't stop spinning and Alonso's contemporaries in the mean time will keep amassing trophies in their cabinet.
The results will come? Says who. First you say F1 is a huge challenge and now you say that results will come. According to the BBC they are 80BHP down on the customer Mercedes, how in the hell are they going to fix that? The Renault isn't the best engine at the moment, but it's miles ahead of the Honda and they have been working hard this year on the 2018 engine. Every fan wants to see McLaren and Fernando on top and that isn't going to happen with Honda.

Sayeman

ZakB wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 12:32
Schuttelberg wrote:
ZakB wrote:

The results will come? Says who. First you say F1 is a huge challenge and now you say that results will come. According to the BBC they are 80BHP down on the customer Mercedes, how in the hell are they going to fix that? The Renault isn't the best engine at the moment, but it's miles ahead of the Honda and they have been working hard this year on the 2018 engine. Every fan wants to see McLaren and Fernando on top and that isn't going to happen with Honda.
Fans also want to see Honda succeed in F1. Not everyone is dancing to Fernando and Mclaren's tune
Never Give up.

Shakeman

Jumping to Renault is an absurd move for McLaren and would not put them in contention with Ferrari or Merc but slap bang into a war of the chassis with Red Bull which they very likely lose and will consigned the team to long term midfield status. How much less pissed off is Alonso going to be finishing 7 or 8 than where they are now?

If Honda do get themselves sorted and produce an engine that can compete on terms with Ferrari and Merc you can bet Red Bull would be all over it like a rash.

ZakB
ZakB

Sayeman wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 12:48
ZakB wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 12:32
Schuttelberg wrote:

Fans also want to see Honda succeed in F1. Not everyone is dancing to Fernando and Mclaren's tune
You're right, I would love to see McLaren-Honda succeeding. But it's not going to happen.