2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Andres125sx

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Squid wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 19:03

The tinfoil is strong with this one.

Here, why don't you read this: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2007/10/20/a ... onspiracy/

Also, the FIA sent an independent person to Alonso's side of the garage because Alonso demanded it. He was so paranoid that McLaren would sabotage his car that he demanded the FIA send someone to ensure they didn't. Of course they didn't, but Alonso was full-blown paranoid at the time.
A british site defending a british team and a british driver versus their main rival (spanish)? Yeah that´s definitely an objective article without biased conclusions... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andres125sx

JonoNic wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 19:06
Now Alonso says Mclaren Honda can be world champions in the future. Media taking us for fools now. Not worth it linking that news report here.
Actually he said very interesting things. My english is not good enough for a proper translation, so I´ll only explain the idea. There must be several articles in english too so...

First thing wich was comforting in my eyes... When asked about Renault he said they were very sincere about their expected perfomance for next season, so they´re obviously discarded... thanks god!! :D

Next comforting thing in my eyes, he said he don´t want to think about his future yet, he said he may renew his contract for one more season if things are not clear, or two, or five, so it looks like he still have some more patience

And this is specially for Phil and some others...

"I´m not bigger than the team, I´m only one of the thousand who want the same. We´re the second best team ever, we want the same"

"If I retired on purpose.... I´ve raced with a broken rib (and I´ll add, with an embarrasing car wich didn´t have any real chance to score points), but people have short memories. I felt a power drop. Something was failing. Sometimes I come early to the problem. They´ve not seen any problem, perfect, we´ll try to use it in FP2, but I think the decision is to use a new PU, 3.7 with some more power I hope"

Joseki
Joseki

Squid wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 19:03
Andres125sx wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 17:56
Phil wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 01:48

Err, the contract was evidently terminated by mutual agreement, because the team and Alonso no longer wanted to continue after what happened. As for what happened, well, it's rather well documented if you'd bother to read up on it. Basically things turned very bad when the driver started to blackmail his team/boss which is pretty much a big no-go.
I´ve finally read your looong post, and sincerely, can´t you summarize a little bit more? :P

This part is funny, you always say the same... "it was all ok until the spygate so it was all due to Alonso", but you keep ignoring Alonso doing that must have some reason. Or you really think Alonso blackmailed his team only because he´s that arrogant and got tired of equal treatment? Ok, I know, yes you do, even when...

1- Lewis Hamilton was Ron Dennis protege (after paying Lewis career since he was 12), so Ron was willing to see his protege winning.
2- McLaren is a british team with no british champion since James Hunt in 1976, and that´s a marketing bomb any F1 team would get excited about
3- McLaren admitted making "mistakes" with Alonso´s car in the decisive races of the season, overinflating his tires wich instantly made his car some tenths slower, enough to ensure Lewis would win without making safety compromises.
4- Even FIA admitted to send a stewart to McLaren garage (Alonso side) to ensure fair treatment
5- "We don´t race Kimi, we race Alonso". Ron Dennis.
6- Alonso accepted to break a valid contract with best team to drive a midfielder... wich means one of two things, you assume Alonso is plain stupid, or you assume Alonso got so tired about McLaren favouritism towards Lewis he though not even in best car he had any real chance to fight for the title.

But I know you will keep ignoring these facts and assume F1 is a fair sport with no political interests... but only while discussing about 2007 :roll:
The tinfoil is strong with this one.

Here, why don't you read this: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2007/10/20/a ... onspiracy/

Also, the FIA sent an independent person to Alonso's side of the garage because Alonso demanded it. He was so paranoid that McLaren would sabotage his car that he demanded the FIA send someone to ensure they didn't. Of course they didn't, but Alonso was full-blown paranoid at the time.

I have the perfect solution for McLaren in those cases: don't cheat.

HPD

Mclaren Honda 2018 confirmed
Whether or not Fernando Alonso remains on the project will depend on what Honda will teach him at the end of the year, on his test bench, the engine that will equip his car in 2018. And that's why he has been quoted with the Japanese at the end of the year .

Alonso: "I will sit down to see the conditions and analyze them more closely, not only with McLaren but also with Honda, I will go to Japan to see how the first steps of development will take place, and then make a decision. we will decide"

"I am extremely happy at McLaren and I think we can have the package to be world champions next season. McLaren knows, better than anyone else, how the world titles are won "

"We have some ingredients to be champions and the team has improved a lot in the three years I've been here. We have the talent, we just have to be more competitive, which is probably the most important thing."

Alonso sets as an example the low performance of Ferrari in 2014 and 2015, his first two years with this engine. Afterwards "they made a tremendous competitive leap in the engine, they made everything work and the results started to arrive, I have to understand what development and evolution is planned and what are the next steps. Last three years, why we can not be competitive. "

http://www.elperiodico.com/es/mundial-f ... 18-6256925
Edit:
Now AMUS is talking about the news. Mclaren Honda in 2018, Alonso has no other solution.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 17987.html

Marti_EF3

HPD wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 19:54
Whether or not Fernando Alonso remains on the project will depend on what Honda will teach him at the end of the year, on his test bench, the engine that will equip his car in 2018. And that's why he has been quoted with the Japanese at the end of the year .

Alonso: "I will sit down to see the conditions and analyze them more closely, not only with McLaren but also with Honda, I will go to Japan to see how the first steps of development will take place, and then make a decision. we will decide"

"I am extremely happy at McLaren and I think we can have the package to be world champions next season. McLaren knows, better than anyone else, how the world titles are won "

"We have some ingredients to be champions and the team has improved a lot in the three years I've been here. We have the talent, we just have to be more competitive, which is probably the most important thing."

Alonso sets as an example the low performance of Ferrari in 2014 and 2015, his first two years with this engine. Afterwards "they made a tremendous competitive leap in the engine, they made everything work and the results started to arrive, I have to understand what development and evolution is planned and what are the next steps. Last three years, why we can not be competitive. "

Finally some common sense... And from Alonso, not BS media trying to sell crap every day whith --- news...

GoranF1
GoranF1

HPD wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 19:54

Edit:
Now AMUS is talking about the news. Mclaren Honda in 2018, Alonso has no other solution.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 17987.html
This is good if Honda makes Mario Illen head of PU development whit 100% open hands.
If he only consults, Honda will do it their way (wrong)
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

NathanOlder

All I am reading now is Alonso & Andres125sx vs The World #-o
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Sayeman

Pinch of tranquility was needed to calm the situation and Fernando has given exactly that through the interviews. Also seems like the higher ups at Honda personally contacted him to calm things down. Everyone wants to see Mclaren Honda succeed, Mclaren doesn't need to be saddled with leftover Renaults.
Never Give up.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Renault is not THAT bad. Yes Redbull and Max are screaming, but look at the fact. Performance is almost on par during races, Ricciardo could not be overtaken after the restart jump to P3. Topspeed is enough to prevent Force India's to attack. Yes the engine has been unreliable, but the problems are small and can be solved with a little more work and decipline. Even Renault worx team has one driver competing for points and putting he team in 5th WCC with his single performances.

Al little more power and a some work on reliablility and Renault is back on top.

Honda is 3-4 years behind on schedule.

HPD

Alonso:

- "We will see what the proposals are," he said. "If they are very good, maybe two years could work. Maybe one year, maybe three, maybe five - l am young enough."

- The former world champion has also described claims he has told McLaren he will leave unless they drop Honda as "absolute rubbish".

- "I will start sitting down with the team, what are the prospects for the future, the expectation for next year," Alonso told reporters.

- "We do now have some ingredients to be champions.

- "The team has improved a lot in the last three years from the time l arrived here. We have the talent, we have the facilities, we just miss being a bit more competitive - which is the most important bit. But we will see what the numbers say for next year and after that l will make a decision."

- "Renault have already said that next year they will not be ready, so they are honest too," he added.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... -champions
Now please stop the rumors Mclaren Renault, Mclaren Mercedes, Mclaren Audi, Mclaren Suzuki, etc etc etc

Wazari

Joseki wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 17:02
Wazari I have some questions for you too:

- At with points the 100m/y deal became less important than the lost sponsorships?

- Is a work deal worth the trade off of senior technical staff leaving the team because of the engine?

I'm asking you this because I've been told from a reliable source (the same source that back in January told me that the Honda engine was severely lacking both power and reliability on the dynos) that loss of sponsorships (both existing deals and possible future deal) and departures of senior staff figures are set in stone if McLaren doesn't switch engine for 2018.

The Honda deal could transform McLaren into Williams 2.0 the moment some guy in a suit back in Tokyo decides to pull the plug.

McLaren is set to lose something either way, they have to chose what is more important for their future, because I'm pretty sure that there are 0 chances of being WDC/WCC before 2021 either way.
Hmmm.............current spec PU had very limited running in January on the dyno so................

Loss of sponsorship depending on what PU a team runs? Highly doubtful. Although I know very little about sponsorship deals, my daughter is directly involved with putting together a sponsorship deals for her company that is currently the main sponsor for one of Penske's Indycars. All they care about is where is their logo going to be placed, how large and how many races will the logo be on the car. As far as senior staff leaving, what kind of senior staff, engineers?, management? To me that does not make any sense. If I was the team principal and someone on my staff says I'm leaving if the team continues with so and so PU, I'd tell them, "Don't let the door hit ya, where the good Lord split ya......... 8)
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

Wazari

NL_Fer wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 23:13
<snip>

Honda is 3-4 years behind on schedule.
One year behind schedule........

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

Wazari

GoranF1 wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 21:41

This is good if Honda makes Mario Illen head of PU development whit 100% open hands.
If he only consults, Honda will do it their way (wrong)
Knowing Mario, I highly doubt that's a role he would want to take on.

-- Honda Soichiro

bill shoe
bill shoe

Wazari wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 23:38
If I was the team principal and someone on my staff says I'm leaving if the team continues with so and so PU, I'd tell them, "Don't let the door hit ya, where the good Lord split ya......... 8)
If a staff member actually explicitly says that to a manager then yes the manager must invite them to leave. However, low performance engines apparently do influence the manager's ability to recruit and retain good staff. Vasseur at Sauber apparently put his foot down about ditching Honda engines in order to motivate and retain good staff.

bill shoe
bill shoe

There's a silver lining to Alonso's dwindling options. Honda USA and Andretti Racing just confirmed they will be together again next year in Indycars, something that didn't look likely one month ago. If Alonso stays at McLaren-Honda then there would be nothing stopping a mutual McLaren-Alonso decision to do Indy again.