2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ZakB
ZakB

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

McLaren will be fine, but it seems quite clear that the switch to Renault will happen. This will mean that McLaren can fight for podiums/wins in the next three years and switch to their own engine when the new engines are coming. I think some people here really underestimate how long it will take before Honda are a match for anyone.

CBeck113
CBeck113

“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

nzjrs

CBeck113 wrote:
02 Sep 2017, 14:19
How 'bout this (again):
http://www.f1undercover.com/mclaren-pla ... gine-2021/
I hate the news. This is the title
MCLAREN PLANS TO BUILD ITS OWN ENGINE IN 2021
And this is the quote
McLaren would be interested in developing its own Formula 1 engine from 2021 so long as the new regulations are economically viable and attractive enough, according to executive director Zak Brown.

ZakB
ZakB

nzjrs wrote:
02 Sep 2017, 14:26
CBeck113 wrote:
02 Sep 2017, 14:19
How 'bout this (again):
http://www.f1undercover.com/mclaren-pla ... gine-2021/
I hate the news. This is the title
MCLAREN PLANS TO BUILD ITS OWN ENGINE IN 2021
And this is the quote
McLaren would be interested in developing its own Formula 1 engine from 2021 so long as the new regulations are economically viable and attractive enough, according to executive director Zak Brown.
I agree, although the whole point of these rules is to make them economically viable. But agreeing things in F1 seems nearly impossible.

Zynerji

With Gilles Simon now in FIA technical, keep an eye out for a FIA baseline engine (Pure) that is available to all teams...

HPD

Todt ready to help Honda stay in F1

“If you make it easily, three by three it makes nine. So it means that we will end up with a team without an engine, which we don’t want. And we made regulations to avoid that, which needed to be applied before June.

“Now there is a team, the team has a contract – so we will see. I don’t want to comment on facts which are not completely clear at the moment.

“If the time comes, I will be happy to comment and if I can participate to help to make sure that everybody can stay in the business, then I will do the utmost for that.”

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/todt ... so-948274/

Sayeman

Fernando's head isn't in the game today...out in Q2.
All these engine conundrum is harming the team.
Never Give up.

McL-H
McL-H

Is McLaren's chassis really that good? Red Bull manages to get virtually to the front row of the grid, overcompensating their awful engine in these wet conditions. McLaren is only P10 and P14 with a chassis that should star in these conditions, as the team claims it's up there with the top teams. Surely, not P2, but you'd expect a better result than this under heavy rain. I'd be happy to hear if someone disagrees. Not trying to step on anyones toes here.

Alonso Fan

Sayeman wrote:
02 Sep 2017, 17:32
Fernando's head isn't in the game today...out in Q2.
All these engine conundrum is harming the team.
Not pushing. Engine penalties lurking don't forget
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

OneAlex

I'm still in the "it would be crazy to switch" camp, even after the disappointment of the newest engines. Plus I'm pretty sure that if we'd had Renault this year we would be going crazy given how many of them are blowing up.

However I feel like McLaren is becoming a touch more risk averse, maybe due to pressure from the board.

Look at their views on Lando. He's fast but they don't want to fast track him if Alonso leaves or takes a year out. A podium with Renault and Alonso is more important than a gamble on Honda and Lando.

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

McL-H wrote:
02 Sep 2017, 17:46
Is McLaren's chassis really that good? Red Bull manages to get virtually to the front row of the grid, overcompensating their awful engine in these wet conditions. McLaren is only P10 and P14 with a chassis that should star in these conditions, as the team claims it's up there with the top teams. Surely, not P2, but you'd expect a better result than this under heavy rain. I'd be happy to hear if someone disagrees. Not trying to step on anyones toes here.
Ferrari also massively underperformed, and we know they have a great chassis. So I'm not sure today's quali results are really representable of chassis quality. I think it's just about the getting the tyre working more than anything else. Especially since we also know Williams don't have a great chassis and they were right up there.

JonoNic

Dipesh1995 wrote: Ferrari also massively underperformed, and we know they have a great chassis. So I'm not sure today's quali results are really representable of chassis quality. I think it's just about the getting the tyre working more than anything else. Especially since we also know Williams don't have a great chassis and they were right up there.
Maybe the front runners are running too much wing for the dry? Can they change downforce before the race?
Always find the gap then use it.

Sayeman

JonoNic wrote:
02 Sep 2017, 17:57
Dipesh1995 wrote: Ferrari also massively underperformed, and we know they have a great chassis. So I'm not sure today's quali results are really representable of chassis quality. I think it's just about the getting the tyre working more than anything else. Especially since we also know Williams don't have a great chassis and they were right up there.
Maybe the front runners are running too much wing for the dry? Can they change downforce before the race?
Did u see redbull's rear wing yesterday? Skinniest rear wing i have seen in F1 in my life
Last edited by Sayeman on 02 Sep 2017, 18:06, edited 1 time in total.
Never Give up.

Sayeman

JonoNic wrote:
Did u see redbull's rear wing yesterday? Skinniest rear wing i have seen in F1 in my life
Never Give up.

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

JonoNic wrote:
They can’t change downforce levels since they’re in Parc Ferme. They would have to start from the pit lane they were to change something. IMO, I think it’s just a tyre thing; I remember back in 2012, McLaren could only get either the inter or wet tyre to work on a particular weekend but not both types of wet tyre. Also, since they aren’t many corners here, it may have hurt McLaren and Ferrari in terms of tyre prep.